When to put up Christmas decorations?

by Simon 39 Replies latest jw friends

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

SIMON,

This is my first Christmas, so I've been doing my research. LOL
    Traditionally people put them up right after the Thanksgiving holiday.

But of course you can put them up when you and your family decide. Your kids are gonna love it!!! Happy Holidays to you and yours and those sweet little ones.

• shera
    shera

This year I'll be putting my decorations up on Dec 1st.

Its Less than a month and a half away before santa comes...

Edited by - shera on 16 November 2002 9:4:10

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Simon,

If you have any other major holiday (like Thanksgiving in the U.S.) between now and Christmas Day, then do it after that particular holiday. Otherwise, you can put decorations just about now as Christmas is getting closer.

regards

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Since the kids and I have started doing Christmas, from 1997 on....we have had our Thanksgiving dinner together and then had those PESKY three days afterward to entertain ourselves...SO!! We drag out all the Christmas decorations! Its only a month away from then and the time FLIES by! I love love love Christmas lights! They add such warmth to the home. My JW husband cringes pretty much from mid october to Jan 8 or so LOL! Tuff...Shootskis, I say. Also...if you get some cinnamon or pine candles if you do fake trees like we do (trees in Florida are WAAAY to expensive) it keeps the atmosphere festive. Have fun!

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Simon, I'll probably put my tree up after Thanksgiving. I would probably do it before, but Craig's parents are coming for Thanksgiving, his dad is a elder, so out of respect for him, I'll wait.

• LB
    LB

Do not put your lights up before Thanksgiving. In fact any lights up before December will result in your being given public reproof. Unless you are an unrepentent celebrator in which case you'll be removed the the Christan Congregation.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

LoveDubs,

*** My JW husband cringes pretty much from mid october to Jan 8 or so LOL! Tuff...Shootskis, I say.***

LOL, I wager to say that hubby may well enjoy the decorations and scents, just as much as you!

Even when I was a faithful witness elder, I secretly enjoyed singing the 'christmas charols' while riding in the privacy of my car.

Danny

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi Simon

This will be our 3rd Christmas. Our kids are 5 and 2 1/2. How old are yours?

We put our tree and decorations up from 1st December. The Advent calenders start then so we decided to run in line.

As we dont have a Thanksgiving holiday here in England (such a shame, it's one of the few good ideas you Yanks had!!!!!!) we cant guage by it.

I'm Pubsinging tonight over the "Big Hill" (Thats the Pennines) and I'm on your side tonight Simon, at Littleborough Trades Club. . . . Oh the glamour of this life!!!!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I can see Tinkerbell waving from the window at her inlaws driving away with the other hand already putting up a wreath on the other side of the door LOLOL!!

Danny...I think he is relieved actually, that I do all the normal stuff with the kids. He can just blame me for it all, but see his kids grow up with a LIFE. I hated giving up Christmas, I would go into a massive depression every holiday watching my family and all the families on the street, having people over, watching them get and give gifts to their children..mine getting nothing. Having to explain stuff I didnt even believe to my little ones. I am SO making up for all that :)

Dawn

• Simon
    Simon

About the same ages pubsinger - 5+ and 3+ (both boys)

We went and bought a tree today. It's plastic so we can use it each year and won't make a mess but I'm going to claim I am being environmentally aware and cutting down tree's is murder

We've got plenty of decorations and some lights and stuff to go on the tree and in the window. I may put some outside (they do this funky light that is like a reel of hosepipe!)

Seeing the kids faces was brilliant. There is definitely magical to it at that age and they are so excited about decorating the tree now!

There is a guy in Llandudno who decorates his house each year with lights and I mean the whole house - there is not a bit of it that is not lit up, garden included. This year he is errecting extra scaffolding to put things on. It is dazzlingly bright and must be a pain in the ass for the people opposite - I think her enters a competition and raises money for charity or something.

Edited by - Simon on 16 November 2002 10:57:12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit