When to put up Christmas decorations?

by Simon 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

The kids are very keen on having a Christmas tree and some decorations.

Is there any date these are supposed to go up or are we going to look really silly having it up mid November ?

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

There is one nutter in the Midlands area who keeps his Christmas stuff going all year round. Up to you really. Doesn't tradition dictate that you raise the tree 12 days before ?
  • maximumflash
    maximumflash

You can put up christmas decoration anytime of the year that you want to. There are no rules for christmas!!!

Have a merry christmas everyone!!!

Gordon

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know about the UK, but in the US most take a cue from their neighbors. There are some that leave them up all year, but they are in a category by themselves. The rule of thumb is not before Thanksgiving (US) which is November 28. But I have seen a few lights up already.

I have studied some Xmas customs and was surprised to find out that in southern Germany that families go on on Christmas Eve and cut down (or buy a tree) and decorate the tree that night as a family. And then 12 days later on Epiphany, the decorations are put away and the tree trashed. They also start four Sundays (St Nicholas Day around December 6) out from XMas and light an advent candle every Sunday until Xmas. Many Lutherans still follow that custom in the US.

Many UK Xmas customs were brought over from Germany by Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's consort.

Blondie

• link
    link

I live in Devon and we had a neighbour who lived opposite us in a Council House.He spent every October installing his Christmas decorations.

He had a full size flashing father Christmas (electric not perverted) with reindeers and sleigh plus illuminated Snow White and all seven dwarfs. It was almost impossible to find his house under this lot and it was claimed that when he powered up - always the day the clocks are altered in October - everyones lights went down until the power station adjusted their output.

He lived on the Dole and I would hate to think what his electricty bill would have been three months later when he turned them off!

Link

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I don't do Christmas.

But I've always wanted to have those white lights.

So I bought some this year. They are already up (in my living room).

So pretty.

I say, put 'em up whenever ya wanna.

SPAZ

• blondie
    blondie

Spaz, we do the white lights too, all year round. It is so pretty. Inside around a mirror or the fireplace mantel too.

Blondie

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

I have noticed many around here put theirs up soon after halloween decorations are down. There are no set rules for when you should decorate, just do it when you want to. Ours are going up now.

• Celia
    Celia

We put the tree up about 10 days before Christmas. Aaahhh... the smell of fresh cut pine... Wonderful. I have seen lights and decorations already in peoples' yards and houses --- decorated trees appear usually right after Thanksgiving, at the end of November. Too early for me.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Simon,

I like the idea of light's on the house soon after Thanksgiving. For me that usually means the first weekend of December.

I had latch hook's installed all around the facia boards of all the eave's..........during the year we had them painted, and the painter's took ALL MY HOOKS DOWN! Damn I gotta do the whole install thing again.

Oh well, it is all great fun......so enjoy whenever you decide to decorate.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit