When to put up Christmas decorations?

by Simon 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Els-

Ever consider those HUGE lighted snowman figures you can get at Kmart? lol

• Simon
    Simon

I was only joking about the 'real tree thing' - of course the real reason is that we have 2 kids and 2 cats and can't face the mess.

A fold-up plastic one in a box is much easier to get in a small hatchback too.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Simon

In our area the Christmas decorations are already going up. The white lights are being seen all over here all year round. Many of the restaraunts are putting up trees and stockings on the fireplaces. Its the time of year lights are just so beautiful, I think I will probably start next week and have some up for Thanksgiving. We are going away to Kennebunkport for a New Enland Thanksgiving with my daughter and son-in-law. My other son and his wife will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner at our house so I would like to put a few decorations around for them. They are all really getting into the Holidays. It has been wonderful.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

our outside ones were just put up here in Nov. only because we have to put them up before it gets to cold outside here in Nebraska.

like most people they will be turned on after thanksgiving.

for the tree inside, it's up to each one when to put it up. if it's a live tree, you really don't want to keep it up for a whole month as it becomes a fire hazard.

• arachnia
    arachnia

My husband's family has a tradition that they put up the trees and lights the day after Thanksgiving. (Not sure if that holiday has spread to the UK - kinda ironic if it has. ;>) When hubby moved up here, we went out and bought a tree and ornaments, lights and adopted the same tradition, although sometimes we don't do it right away the day after, but that weekend it all goes up. We look forward to it every year. It was a very liberating feeling when we bought that stuff the first year, as I had only been celebrating Xmas again for the two years prior, my last celebration before that was when I was five before my parents were assimilated by the dubs. To be getting a tree of my own was another reminder that I was free to make my own choices in life. :)

• Solace
    Solace

Simon,

We always put up our tree the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Its so nice to finally be in a position to enjoy the holidays with a clear conscience, ya know?

• terabletera
    terabletera

We have a faux tree but it looks very real. Now I don't really mind when it goes up. When we did real trees, I got it up late and down the day after christmas. Took six months to be sure all needles were gone. No thanks. For the scent of pine, pot pourrie goes a long way.

I don't think it will be up until about December 13, husband's birthday is just before then so I'd like to make it less christmassie for that. By the 13th, however, my nat king cole christmas cd goes on! Yahoo. I love that.

• dawn27
    dawn27

My parents weren't witnesses when I was a youngster and we always put the tree up about 10 days to 2 weeks before. That way we had a couple of weeks to enjoy the smell of the pine and look at the lights but it wouldn't be turning brown yet by the 25th. If you had a synthetic one, though, I guess it wouldn't matter if it went up right after thanksgiving, would still look as pretty that morning,, The smell of the tree is one of my favorite things about it though,, I'd get a real one,,

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

We started decorating during the advent of Christmas and we put the Christmas tree up for the 12 days of Christmas ending on the Ephiany January 6th.

I love Christmas, It is the most wonder time of the year.

Love Orangefatcat.

• Lin
    Lin

Simon, we put up our decorations and tree the weekend following Thanksgiving and we leave it up until the first weekend after New Years. Sometimes even longer!! LOL

I love all the colored lights, but my fiance' likes the white ones, so we'll put a big mixture of them inside and outside. I love driving down the neighborhoods that have decked out their entire block with a particular theme. One year I drove down a very long road where everyone strung lights on the trees at the edge of the street with red and white lights, making it look like the street was lined with candy canes! So cool!!

I can hardly wait till Thanksgiving is over!!! We're going to get a real tree this year, since I've only had a fake one, and we're going to decorate all over the house. We even have an animated, dancing Santa that's over four foot tall that sings and "dances" and has a sensor to start up whenever someone walks by him. LOL

I want a pair of animated, singing Mickey and Minnie that I saw a couple years ago but haven't found it yet. Anyone know where I can find them? They are soooo cute!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit