Hairy Porter and the Chamber of Demons

by comforter 49 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

They will see it anyway...they always do. Wont stand in line and BE SEEN by other JWs mind you but will be the FIRST to get it on HBO or at the Blockbusters. I guaranfreakintee it. One sister at the bookstudy boldly raised her hand and started in on how she WALKED OUT of Disneys "Hercules" with her kids because they were teaching the children something to the effect that you get sucked down into hell, and that it was real and she was ASTOUNDED...blah blah...well hell lady, exactly what were you expecting when you entered a movie called HERCULES?? Hades is depicted as a standup yiddish speaking comedian with a Bronx accent. Yeah...thats real. They ALL doth protesteth WAY to mucheth.

Dont let em see Bambi....the animals speak

Dont go see Pollyanna...she wraps herself in a flag, and eventually falls out of a tree...too much violence.

Dont watch Shirley Temple...she patronizes with the troops under Satans Government.

And oh my GOD dont let em watch Nickelodeon...theres this guy who lives in a pineapple under the sea.....

• comforter
    comforter

celia

???What about Snow White ? Sleeping Beauty ? Beauty and the Beast ? The Little Mermaid ? Cinderella ? The Wizard of Oz ? Pinocchio ? Magic in all of these too ! What are your kids allowed to read and watch ????

each case different. the nameless one say it up to one's conscience. each one must carry his own load. so families should make their decision. the nameless one's cut-off point is shows that make magic and spiritism appear innocent or harmless. we don't watch little mermaid or wizard of oz. beauty and the beast alright. so is pinnochio. person must use discernment and balance. go see hairy porter. that's you. the nameless one has to render an account before God for his family.

porter may contain good messages. retrieve from your memory banks that satan an angel of light though.

• comforter
    comforter

loves

bambi and shirley temple is cool. hercules was so-so. going to see the movies are up to your conscience. nobody is stopping brothers and sisters. the nameless one just dont like movies that make magic seem holy. but if your conscience say it coposetic, make up your own mind. you gonner answer to God for yourself.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Woohoo!! Thanks for the reminder Comforter I had totally forgotten the movie was coming out today. I'll be taking my 17 month old daughter to see this movie. I read the books to her at night before bed. I know she doesn't understand what I'm saying but she loves it when I read to her. Also, I'm 33 and love Harry Potter. The books are excellent and the last movie was superb. The only thing that could make it better is the addition of smurfs. ;)

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Comfy,

As a wordsmith, I would like to know the meaning of "coposetic"

Can you enlighten me?

Spanner

Edited by - SpannerintheWorks on 16 November 2002 5:29:51

• Valis
    Valis

Spanner...I think that's when all your police officers are very satisfactory?...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

We have had counsel at our congregation about not seeing it!

The stupidity of it all is that I know of some elders who didn't let their kids see Harry Potter but then raved on about how good Lord of the Rings was! Wake up guys its about the same thing. By the way even Mary Poppins is about magic - so where do these guys draw the line?

I have read all the Harry Potter books to my kids but then again I have read them all the Narnia books by CS Lewis which are totally into magic and things but have an underlying 'Christian Salvation' theme.

The books I am currently reading them are the Northern Lights Triology by Phillip Pullman. Has anyone read these? Far more scary and potentially faith challenging than Harry Potter. These won't get mentioned from the platform as the average elder is poorly read and only picks up on the media frenzy that surround such films as HP.

Incidently, I read my kids all the Harry Potter stories when I was still an elder. My view is that well adjusted kids pick up easily on what is fact and fiction. It's the ones that can't make this distinction that grow up to be psychopaths, wife beaters and child abusers!

Edited by - eyeslice on 15 November 2002 15:40:46

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

My kids aren't seeing it either. They're waiting until it comes out on video so we can buy it.We're going to see The Two Towers at the theater instead (the first movie was awesome on the big screen!!)

Harry Potter reminds me of the Roald Dahl books I read when I was a kid, especially James and The Giant Peach. I loved the first Harry Potter movie, but I like "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" better.

But what I'm really looking forward to is that new book that is coming out about Jack the Ripper. The woman who wrote it spent about two million dollars researching her hypothesis on who Jack the Ripper was.It should be an interesting read.

Actually, my kids liked Blade better--all that blood in the sprinkler scene.

• Mum
    Mum

I know nothing about "Hairy Porter," although I think he worked at a hotel where I stayed once.

As for Harry Potter, I love him. I was an unwanted, abused child like Harry. And, like Harry, I was much farther advanced than the people who hurt me. Harry is an inspiration to children who are in bad situations that one day they can be in charge of their own destiny and have power within themselves to transform their lives and lead and inspire others.

I highly recommend any of the Harry Potter books or films to JW children or any other children who have been molested, beaten or otherwise harmed by great big bullies.

• Knuckles
    Knuckles

comforter,

Knuckles read Harry Potter series in attempt to regain full use of vocabulary after pedantry collapse. No luck, but enjoyed treatment.

Knuckles also agree that Harry Potter movies suck. In books, Harry struggle valiantly against great forces of evil, even if adult wizards miss important clues and not support Harry. Harry also take unnecessary risks because not tell adults what going on. Just like life. Verisimilitude make books more exciting.

Hollywood reduce Harry Potter to cardboard hero. In movies, anything Harry does is right. Not quite true to books.

Also, spiritism badly done in movies -- reduced to artsy-fartsiness. No actual spiritism in books -- all these creatures natural. Their world just inaccessible to humans, that all.

Comforter correct: books better than movie razzle-dazzle.

Hairy kisses,

Knuckles the Thug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit