I always disagreed with ....

by fulano 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bosho
    Bosho

And then there's always those people who have an underactive thyroid.

I'm not obese but neither am I twiggy. I find it very very hard to keep my weight under control, even though I take regular medication. But I have to agree with LB when he said

There are many obese people that don't have a choice about that. It can very well be a genetic trait. This has been proven.

Obesity is caused by a lot of problems besides over-eating. A low self-esteem can trigger all kinds of responses in people. It can be a vicious circle. On eof my friends lost her brother, mother, and father in the space of three years and put on four stone. She confort eats and it was the way she dealt with a terrible time of her life. It's sad, these people should be treated with kindness and civility not treated to bad jokes and offensive remarks.

• ballistic
    ballistic

celia, you could say that about any illness which has a strong link between psychological and physiological symptoms.

Edited by - ballistic on 14 November 2002 12:7:47

• Englishman
    Englishman

Fulano,

I smoked my very first cigar at age 26. I smoked one because it had always been forbidden for me to do so.

I don't smoke at all now, but have no problem with others who wish to do so. I just wish that they wouldn't do it near to me, it makes my clothes stink.

Englishman.

• LB
    LB

Food can also be an addiction. And by the way, I've smelled some nasty thin people on the bus too.

For those of you who don't know I once weighed 330 pounds. I got fat over a period of many years. I was an athlete up until I was about 30 and then no longer was capable of keeping my weight off. I ate more than I was able to exercise off. I had a gastric bypass and lost 160 pounds and have kept it off. I have a tool that most obese people don't have, I am able to exist on less than 1000 calories a day without feeling starved.

When you get yourself to a point of 100+ pounds of weight you can NOT diet it off or even exercise it off. That has been proven. Disagree with me all you like. I've done the reseach while preparing for my gastric bypass. Your metabolism will slow down so much that you won't lose weight on a 600 calorie a day diet, you will instead lose muscle mass. Your body (designed perfectly by Jehovah?) will hang onto that fat as though it were gold.

Ever try to lose 20 pounds and keep it off? Pretty difficult isn't it? You will feel weak and drained because without strenuous exercise you'll just lose muscle. That perfect body is doing its best to keep its fat stores. It's a lousy design.

Here's a funny thing though. In all honesty I deserved to get fat. I felt like most thin people feel. I felt that fat people were just smelly and weak willed. Not as strong and strong willed as I was. What a surprise I was in for.

I've spent a couple of years as a moderator for a weightloss support group. I have heard so many stories, especially from women, that would break your heart. I wasn't fat in school, I never understood how an obese child feels. What made my job as moderator so rewarding is watching these women who once were made fun of become beautiful and confident. Life became worth living for them.

I try hard to not be a judgemental person these days. I didn't like myself as a JW. I was everyones judge. You are all entitled to your opinions on this. But remember this. There are some obese people here on this board. You suggest that they should be DFed if a smoker is DFed. That is very unkind and hurtful. Maybe just try to be a little understanding on this topic, especially if you've always been thin and don't really understand the mindset.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

.....the WTS surviving throught the tribulation and armegedon and into the new system, where elders would then become chieftains.

• fulano
    fulano

I mean ..how many filthy fat friends did we have, addicted to sugar, carbs, and you just knew they were going to have health-problems sooner or later

This is what I posted LB, I do not judge fat people, I don't care at all, if someone wants to be fat, hey no problem as long it's not my girl-friend. My point was that there are loads of fat people who are fat because of overeating or wrong food (sugar and carbs, most extremely fat people are alergic to carbs, but that is another discussion). I am not saying they should be disfellowshipped, I am saying you should judge smokers the same way....do not judge them at all.The reason for df smokers has not much to do with the harm you could cause to others, but to clean your body from all contamination.If that would be a reason it would be easy, than you could smoke as a JW but out in the field.

• LB
    LB

Filthy fat friends, yes fulano, you've convinced me

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I too have always thought that disfellowshipping on the grounds of smoking was right.It is no where in the Bible . Sure the principle is there to respect your boby, but it sould be a conscience matter.

Just like drinking alcohol, and other things that should be your choice. I don't think smoking is good for you at all, but I do see a difference in smoking a cigar every once in a blue moon. There are alot of things we do that are harmful to use but should they be disfellowshipping offenses. What about the use of addicitive meds? Even when they are the only thing that works, but there may be unforseen sideeffects, the meds we take do take a toll on our bodies. I think decisions about these kinds of things should be left up to us not the elders, since in the Bible it is not stated . I have a problems with all the rules they make , things that they put as law that are not in the Bible. Like watching R rated movies, I have seen PG13 movies that were worse than ones that are R rated. Depends on the subject matter. I would rather my child watch Saving Private Ryan , about a true historial event, than sit thru a PG13 movie based on teens looking for sex and all the inuendos .

• fulano
    fulano
    After all, Rutherford smoked cigars.

Larc, how do you know this? Do you have any proof? Could you share it?

gb

There is even a picture that shows Rutherford smoking..I don not have it digital though.

• fulano
    fulano

Sorry LB if I offended you, but seeing 200 pound sisters and brothers at the convention was not really good taste. That's filthy, someone eating his own grave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit