What am I feeling for her?

by Kingpawn 29 Replies latest social relationships

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

This is going to be a little rambling but I hope it makes sense. I won't use names out of privacy concerns, but it's as true as I can make it.

Where I work, I've begun developing very strong feelings for a co-worker. Her shift and mine overlap for a few hours each day, and I see her when one of her duties brings her to my area of the plant (otherwise we work in separate areas). Sometimes I have to pass her area to get stuff I need to do part of my job too, but it's not an everyday thing.

She's maybe 5'3", I'm guessing 135-140#, long black hair (maybe some gray), brown eyes, glasses. Doesn't look like a Playboy Bunny, but they're there. Nice legs in shorts (now forbidden at work). Age, maybe late 20's(?), with acne blemishes on face. Married (so I'm told), at least one child (he has MD and is in a wheelchair). Husband said to treat her like garbage and spends a lot of time in bars. They live around half a block from one. She apparently drinks some too. I don't, but I say that because it might be relevant in someone's view and it saves them asking.

One of the first things that caught my eye about her is her cheerfulness. Many times smiling, laughing, joking (somewhat suggestively at times, like when she casually told a co-worker "maybe he's not happy `cause you're not playin' with his pockets!" in the break room Friday), which is a refreshing change from people griping about the hours, pay, etc. Her good work record (rarely misses). No one's ever badmouthed her I'm aware of.

This cheerfulness is a big contrast to when I saw her and (presumably) her husband (estimated at 5'10" and north of 300#) at a company picnic two years ago. She walked with her head down and wasn't smiling that I could see (told not to make eye contact with other guys there or else? I don't know.) until she got involved in a volleyball game.

A week ago today she came in minus her glasses, with a (somber? scared?) look on her face, and later worked some OT before announcing she was going to the local bar for a couple of drinks. I could see how, if what I've assumed of her home life is true, she could use it as a painkiller. We employees had an infomeeting recently at work about our employer's new drugfree workplace policy. Some discussion on signs of drug/alcohol dependency. Normally she wears specs all the time--had he broken them? Had she seen a side of him she hadn't before or was I misinterpreting her look as "scared?" Unknown.

Of all the women I've met in life, she's one of two that have affected me this way. It's a special kind of pain that won't go away. And it's getting out of control. Not just the grin on my face when she comes near my work area (how I feel about her's well known to the guys I work with, one of whom's her cousin) or now that we exchange waves at that time...but once driving past her house when I left work (hours before she did) is skating on thin ice with anti-stalking laws. She's supposed to walk to work now...and I'd know the route and times, but I won't be there.

I wish I could tell her how I felt, and that my daydreams (I hate to use the word "fantasies" because we always associate that with sex, and yes it's crossed my mind but no, that's not the first thing I think about with her) are honorable as far as intentions. That I think I could be spontaneously romantic with her--the unexpected kiss on the cheek, or the one that sets California seismographs shaking ( ), a squeeze of the hand, a hug, flowers or a special CD, little things done for her before I slept and she came home from work, that sort of thing.

The news she drinks was a shock I was a day getting over (I could drink, but it would aggravate my diabetes). But it was healthy for me to hear and assimilate it (bad pun I know, considering where we are ). I worry she could do it more.

And if he is hitting her in front of her/their son (him too?), I worry what it's doing to them. 35 years ago...it was my mother, my brother, and me getting it from her last husband, who had cases of beer on the kitchen floor. My brother's been through one marriage, two kids, one of whom he doesn't see, and has a drinking problem to some degree, and my story many of you already know.

I don't think her age is the big thing. Maybe she symbolizes a mid-life crisis for me? "The grass is always greener over there?" An unhealthy obsession? Part of this is chivalric love, that feeling of wanting to defend her from the bad guy, if that's whats going on. I doubt it's a crush, because I'm mature enough to admit she no doubt has differences on things with me (music, religion, politics, etc.) and in your typical teenage infatuation you always see them the other person as perfect. Is it what's known as an affair of the heart, or am I really in love with her as deeply as I can be considering the limited contact we have? That's like the number of men around the world who cried or felt the loss at the news Princess Diana was dead. You could love her for her beauty, or because Prince Charles is an ass (with Mrs. Camilla Parker-Bowles), her work to rid the world of land mines, or her efforts on behalf of AIDS victims, without having met or dated her. I see this as the same way. She's never done anything more than waving to encourage it in me. She's just been herself.

I've begun therapy for a number of reasons (this being one) and he had said to my list of reasons, "I don't hear a gay man talking." He mentioned the possibility of a crush at my age. On this and other issues, I'm hoping that if my thinking processes are flawed and I don't know it he'll spot it before I make mistakes on long-term decisions.

So, comments? Opinions? Advice?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

The first step would naturally be to talk to the girl!!!! Meet in a group after work over a couple of drinks. Find out what's actually going on in her home before jumping to all these extreme conclusions.

Just because this girl came in unhappy one day, or "seemed" unhappy w/her husband does not mean they are. She loses her glasses & you attribute to abuse? That's a stretch. Everyone has bad days. With her husband suffering from MD, of course there will be better days than others.

If you truly "care" about this girl other than your infatuation, become her friend and get to know her. If something else were meant to be, down the road, then it will be.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Pettygrudger,

I'm long gone when she gets off. No telling when I will get off work--hours vary daily. Now, if she hangs out at that bar I was told she does, I could show up there, but I worry about the stalking aspect.

Her son has MD, not her husband.

As far as it being a "stretch" to believe her glasses could've been broken by him, all I'll say is "why?"

OK...one vote for infatuation. Thanks.

KP

• Matty
    Matty

KP, I can see you have a very strong protective instinct raging inside you, I completely recognise that because I've been there too. It's good that you're like that, it shows that you're a decent guy, and decent guys seem to be getting rarer these days judging by the way that many of the women I know are being treated by their partners (especially in the troof!).

The good thing about being older is that you can examine and identify your emotions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can control them. I'm in my thirties and I'm just as much an emotional time bomb as far as women are concerned as any hormonal teenager! You have to take a step back and examine yourself and make sure you are not going into this for the wrong reasons.

Pettygrudger was right, talk to her! A faint heart never won a fair lady as they say and so you've gotta go for it, or you will regret it deeply for a long time. Just play it cool and don't scare the crap out of her by being too attentive too early on. You have to prepare yourself for this though: Love is a strange emotion, many people love their partners despite their obnoxious behaviour (my mum included) and will stay with them through thick and thin, rejecting nice guys like you and me along the way!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

kingpawn, be very cautious. This could be a keg of dynamite. Jealous husbands don't take too kindly to interference and you could get stuck in the middle, with both attacking you. Just a possibility, mind you.

The drinking bothers me a bit. Even if she does have problems, drinking to hide them or make them feel better, is not a good sign. I'm not condemning her, just a sign of dependency and one that can destroy lives around it.

Maybe, in a friendly way, strike up a casual conversation before you get off work and just feel it out. Don't be pushy, but just ask some general questions such as , how is your day going? Show some friendly interest in her life, but be prepared to back off quickly, if needed. Like I said above, a situation as this can escalate to a violent one real fast.

You may find out you are way off base and misreading things, and maybe not. If she is being abused by her hubbie, suggest where she can get help, do not put yourself in the middle of it. Of course, step in if you see him hitting her, but do not step in on what you have heard others say. Instead, suggest where she can get help. Just make damn sure she is really abused before you do anything.

I'm no analyst, but, if you are much older, you could be looking upon it as a fatherly type thing, which could also be sort of an infatuation.

Good luck with it, just keep yourself safe.

Lew W

• LB
    LB

What are you thinking about here? She's a married woman. Stay out of it. This is none of your business and showing up with missing glasses is zero proof that she's abused. Even if she were abused, it still is none of your business. NONE.

I have lots of pairs of broken glasses. My wife hasn't abused me yet.

• Matty
    Matty

Ahem, and I forgot, there's that little matter of you being married too that needs a little addressing!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Often I have found myself in a similar situation of becoming infatuated with a woman who seems to be in a bad relationship. Kinda like I want to be a big hero or something. As a matter of fact it is this sort of "rescuer" mindset that fires my romantic passions, it seems like it is hard for me to get excited over a single, well-adjusted female.

All of the girls I dated in high school had terrible fathers who either were no part of their life or abused them in some form. These are the girls who grow up to marry abusive men. Gotta stick with the familiar.

When I was in the troof I became very attracted to what seemed at first to be the most wonderful, sexy sister I had ever met. The attraction was felt by both. God I went out of my mind over her (literally, I almost checked in to a mental hospital over her). She had recently divorced a man that she was married to for many years. He was extremely verbally (and sometimes physically) abusive towards her. The more I got to know this sister however, the more I could see that she was just the type of woman who would slavishly submit to an abusive man. She had some very deep issues that needed dealing with. And she had the same sort of cheery, sociable attitude that you attibute to your coworker. She was the most intoxicatingly attractive woman I've ever known, but a real relationship between us would have been a complete disaster. By the way, her father was an old-guard JW, and never once spared the rod in raising his kids. I think this is where many of her issues may have stemmed from.

I don't mean to blame the victim, but women who are in these sort of relationships are often emotional powderkegs. Dude, get your mind off this lady real fast. Stop sexually fantasizing about her, that is what feeds the obsession.

• shera
    shera

I agree with staying out of a persons marriage,and she is not comming to you ither.BUT if she is being abused,she may need someone to step in....I would find out for sure first.When a woman is being abused,they don't want to talk to anyone because they are ashamed and feel dumb,being with a man like that.If she was confronted,she may deny it because of the shame she feels.Abuse should never be enored.

I had a drunk of a dad,who hurt my mother...one of the sweetest woman on the earth.I bet there was times she would have wanted help to get out sooner.....For myself,I was in a crappy relationship for almost 2 yrs and there was times I would have wanted someone to intervene.Gezzz for awhile there..I couldn't pick em!

What I think you may be feeling is protection.Which is good,you see her for being a nice good woman,who doesnot deserve that.Mabey you want to show her how a good man can be.....

• shera
    shera
    I don't mean to blame the victim, but women who are in these sort of relationships are often emotional powderkegs. Dude, get your mind off this lady real fast. Stop sexually fantasizing about her, that is what feeds the obsession.

Can be true,but they need to get help and get lots and lots of esteem help,for they won't be powderkegs.

I was just glad I got out as fast as I did.These men can be very sweet and hide the way they are and than they get you in a situation and try to trap you.Happened to me that way.....I had to swollow my pride and tell someone I needed help to get out.Made me feel dumb,that I fell for a guy like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit