What am I feeling for her?

by Kingpawn 29 Replies latest social relationships

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

My opinion, this is a crush. You see a hurting woman and you want to rush to her aide and save her. Nothing wrong in that, very admirable, and from what you have hinted at about her relationship she probably does need saving.

However, it's just speculation on your part. It could be just as bad as you think it is, or worse. Or everything you have mentioned could have logical non-maritial abuse explinations. You just don't know.

And frankly if she does need saving, she is the only one who can do it. Not you.

It sounds like you have lots of things going on in your life besides this. Talk to your therapist, keep working on you, but dearie it sounds like you are dwelling on this woman, and that is not healthy at all...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Turn these feelings into productive creativity and go write the next "Spiderman". You'll then be rich, and she'll want you for your money.

Six- of the, I-may-be-even-too-cynical-for-riz class

• Robdar
    Robdar
    And frankly if she does need saving, she is the only one who can do it. Not you

Jo is right about this. But you can be there for her to offer support and friendship. Of course, she may not want support, and she may be happy with her husband.

King, I think that you are experiencing tender and chivalrous feelings for this lady. I commend you for that. We need more caring people in this world. There is only one way to find out if these feelings go deeper and that is to get to know her better. I wish you well.

Love,

Robyn

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

I edited this for a wording error. Also, this co-worker's initial is given here as "B." Reason being to make it clear who I refer to at the end of this post.

Matty--All the reasons I mentioned, like chivalric motives, a crush, and so on, I'm willing to consider. That's the reason I posted this and mentioned it to the therapist...a safeguard against me acting on my own flawed thinking, if that's what it is. By "flawed" I mean am I overlooking things, rationalizing, are there errors in logic, and so on.

Yeah I'm married, but I'm not looking for an affair. And if she asks I'll tell her I am married. If I have to gamble my marriage should I see she is being abused, I'll do it. My wife knows I'm unhappy here anyway. Part of the reason I'm willing to gamble this is explained in my reply to LB below.

DakotaRed--To be honest, I don't know she drinks from seeing it personally. If she does I am concerned it could be a crutch.

LB--I couldn't stop the abuse I went through. But if she is, and maybe her son, or he's at least seeing it, it's going to affect both of them...especially him...later on. Then it becomes my problem and everyone else's through social service agencies, police, and the courts. There's wisdom in the saying about an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure. Is this motive self-serving, an excuse? May be. I still see some merit in it.

Dantheman--I very rarely think about her sexually. It's usually in a romantic sense. As far as getting my mind off of her--would that it was that easy! I can't turn my emotions on and off like a light switch.

Joannadandy--Yes, all this is speculation. Is the person telling me this trying to play matchmaker, showing her a way out, or some sick game? Unknown. But I'm on my guard.

Sixofnine--If I were that good a writer, my first book would already be on store shelves instead of my computer's hard drive!

Robdar--I know, she'd have to save herself. Maybe I figure one reason she might hesitate is wondering what's out there as far as a replacement--financially, emotionally, etc. As Matty said, love is a strange emotion. But women can be held economically in a bad relationship too.

Several people have given their opinion that this is a crush. How long do crushes last? I've been attracted to her for almost four years. And the last job I had, a woman there appealed to me probably just as strongly. Still does. And I haven't seen her in seven years! Is that a crush? Also, no one's commented on my question about crushes being based on an idealized view of the other person. With "S" from the previous job, I knew she had a temper, wasn't the best housekeeper, had had an affair (one night stand, anyway), and yet...hardly the type who needed protection. So why did I feel a strong emotional desire for her? Sympathy because her marriage was described as dead emotionally? Because her daughter was almost killed in a car wreck? Because she was "caught in a closet" with a member of the maintenance staff and pretty well fired on the spot? I cynically assumed if she put out for one she would for me?

I don't expect anyone to say they can definitely answer those questions. I raise them to point out that "S" wasn't in an abusive relationship (unless emotionally?) as far as I know.

I must have good taste in women...for a while, someone was sending "B" flowers at work. No, that doesn't make my acions right, but apparently someone agrees with me about her appeal.

Edited by - Kingpawn on 9 November 2002 18:53:29

• riz
    riz

hey kingpawn,

talk to her and see if she is even someone who you would like to have as a friend. it seems that you've kind of built her up in your mind to be a certain way, and who knows- you may find that she's really annoying and you might not even care to carry on a conversation with her once you get to know her.

or, maybe she really isn't happy in her marriage and you two may hit it off fabulously. if anything, you might gain a new friend. but you won't know unless you talk to her. good luck

and six, you're not too cynical for me. in fact, if you're 'too' anything, it's too far away

riz (gots-my-own-money-class)

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Riz,

If I haven't already built up an image of her in my mind it would be very easy for me to do that. I do plan to just drop a comment or smile every so often. As you said, if I do get to know her I may not like what I find. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Shera commented that "B" hasn't been coming on to me. That may be one of the biggest turn-ons of all. A woman who's too brassy or forward or aggressive repels me--B's been either neutral or ignoring me (a hint I'm not picking up on?). But if I really bothered her, I'd think she'd find a way to tell me personally (I work with her cousin and if he's right that she's just like him and the rest of the family--get her mad and all guns are brought to bear--she'd let me know) or it'd come to me through channels.

Anyway, I appreciated the responses from everyone.

Mark

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, I would agree with some of the other folks here. Talk with her, get to know her. But don't expect anything in return, and see how see reacts. She is in a difficult situation herself. She is married, possibly to a violent guy, and she is probably stressed out because of this. So she won't need you asking things from her. But I think she would be quite happy with the change to talk with a friend.
    This will need time. She needs to sort things out for herself. And you are going to have to be patient.

My two cents.
    I wish you luck and happiness.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Kingpawn

I just wanna say that I think what you wrote was the sweetest thing. I hope you find someone that can return your affections.

~Beck~

• riz
    riz

hi kingpawn

i'm sorry. i just saw your response to me. (thanks for the bump, beck!)

nothing ventured, nothing gained is right. any new developments on the situation yet?

good luck to you.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Beck, thanks for the thoughts!

Riz--I happened to be in the area where she and a co-worker come to every morning and while she knew I was there, she didn't say hi or anything. Ignored me (a sign?). <sighes>

One of the guys I work with says her husband is constantly making remarks about her weight. Or else, if I heard him right, giving her the silent treatment.

When I first noted she was (I think) in her late twenties, honestly I didn't think how this would look coming from me, a guy who's 45. Literally the implications didn't cross my mind. Guess I was so concerned about accuracy...talk about not seeing the forest for the trees!

But when I said originally it wasn't her age that made her attractive to me, what I meant was that while yeah her being that age bracket helps, it's NOT because I've got a thing for really young women (like 18 years and 2 hours old). Even if she were older the perkiness would still catch my eye.

And the remark she made to her co-worker about "maybe he's not happy `cause you;'re not playin' with his pockets!" makes sense now. Everyone likes to think they're attractive, and to have a good image of themselves. If her husband does say these things about her, the brashness of the remark above would say to me, this is her way of attracting attention. A poor substitute for the attention she should be getting at home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit