1,000's are DF'd Each Year...

by Funchback 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

You mean if I slap your face and kick you in the butt on the way out. Your not going to feel like coming back to be my friend again?

When you think about it that way, you see why only 1% return.

My thought

Dragon

• garybuss
    garybuss

Millions now questioning are helped to leave. By: WTB&TS

gb

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Kenpodragon, good point. I totally agree with all above. The underlying motive is to instill fear. Look what will happen to you if you dont stay in line with the borg. I was rummaging through the old shed out back earlier, and came across an old JW songbook. One of the first songs i seen was something like Loyalty to Gods organization. The word Loyalty was used umpteen times throughout and always in connection with the congregation, not to Christ. hmmmmmmmmm go figure.

BTW Kenpodragon, i assume you are or did study Kenpo? Was it Ed Parker style or Tracy bros? I studied it about 12 years ago under Tracy bro. system, with some Hung Gar. I completed several of the Animal forms and a bunch of Kenpo Kata's. Made it to 3rd Degree Brown. Had alot of fun. Later.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I have never thought about as a scare tactic, or to induce fear. To me it has always seemed like their way of showing what a wholesome, clean organization they have. Kind of like the politician who is "tough on crime." Most dubs are proud of the fact that their religion does not tolerate wrongdoing, unlike churches of Christendom, where anything goes and morals are not taught. God, now I sound like one of them.

Of course, I have to come to realize that the Org is not interested in cleanliness so much as the appearance of cleanliness. Its all about appearance.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It seems to me that the WT ministry is not one of love, mercy and forgiveness. it is much more about obedience and fear. Unlike Christ who welcomed sinners, the WTS ministry is about reputation and appearances. They have strayed so far from the reaching out to the lost sheep, that they rarely speak of them and the need to help them. (Let's face it we all know if the R&F started talking to us to try to turn us back to the JWs we most likely would be getting them out a lot faster than they would be getting us in). They cannot afford to have the R&F invested in a ministry of helping the lost sheep the very ones that Jesus showed were important and the ones who needed the ministry the most.

I would think too that if they spoke more frequently of those who come back, then they would not be so strongly inforcing the idea that once a sinner you are lost. It would almost be like giving people permission to sin if they knew they could come back. Since the "truth" is about maintaining the cleanliness of the congregation (i.e. appearances) they cannot allow the concept of forgiveness and mercy to be too strong a value in the eyes and minds of the R&F. Their goal is 100% obedience - perfection now - not in 1,000 years. No wavering from this can be tolerated. I think that would risk the WTS losing its stranglehold on the R&F.

Christ taught mercy to those who needed it the most - a concept that seems far beyond the ability of those in control to understand.

edited because I had a hard day and can't think too straight

Edited by - Lady Lee on 9 November 2002 0:22:13

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

I agree 100% with Lady Lee!!!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

This is the only part of dub life that makes any sense to me. Dub lurkers: read it carefully. This IS what you believe:

http://www.freeminds.org/buss/truth.htm

Farkel

• abbagail
    abbagail

FWIW, these figures from JR Brown as quoted in the article in the ST. PETERSBURG TIMES newspaper, Thursday, 8-22-02: http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/22/Floridian/Spiritual_shunning.shtml

Spiritual shunning -- When Jehovah's Witnesses excommunicate, or ''disfellowship,'' a member, even the closest human ties can be severed without question

By SHARON TUBBS, Times Staff Writer St. Petersburg Times published August 22, 2002

(snipped pertinent portions...)

Elders disfellowship 50,000 to 60,000 Witnesses around the world each year, Brown said.

"It's not an unusual occurence, as far as we're concerned," he said.

Each year, Brown said, 30,000 to 40,000 are reinstated, having "come back to their spiritual senses."

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hi! This is onacruse, using bikerchic's account until I get back on line.
    Several years ago I did a comprehensive study of all disfellowshipping and reinstating figures available from 1952 on.
    On average, 1% per year are df'd, and of those 40% are reinstated.
    The figures are skewed somewhat in periods like pre- and post-1975, but have remained fairly consistent otherwise for several decades.

Lady Lee: Exactly right!

Craig

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

But isn't it true to say that if 1,000s are Df each year, the Borg has done them a huge favor?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit