Going to a bad place when i die

by 060702015 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

I've thought and said too much to ever gain Jehovahs forgiveness and love if I want to be a Christian again. I made a topic on my unforgivable sin and blaspemy of the holy spirit.

I feel saddness everyday having no relationship with God, no religion And FEAR OF THE AFTERLIFE. Even when I was kid I feared death and the end of the world. I use to pray that I would get cancer and die before Jehovah destroyed the earth so I couldnt see it I would be too scared.

But when I was a kid I had the hope of paradise. Now I have no hope. None.

It makes me sad that I have no good relationship with God. No religion.

I envy other JWs who grew up in a decent home with mentally stable JWs and are now living life happily as JWs. My brother is the only nice Jehovah Witness in my family. The others were mean, abusive, used God for excuses, etc.

I wake up anxious, afraid and so sad

• stillin
    stillin

Sounds like overkill, 060. There is some deep programming to be aware of, here. All of that is just so...invisible. When God wants to make Himself/Herself/Itself known to us, big as life itself, we will readily respond with appropriate awe and Ferber.

In the meantime it's anybody's guess. My advice would be to have some good clean fun.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

What im about to say comes from a place of kindness and respect:

you may need professional help. Im not suggesting that your crazy or unusual or abnormal... But a lot of people existing cults need some help to sort it all out. You seem to be stuck in place where your half in half out, mentally. It gets better.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Don't worry, all us cool people will be in hell, the hookers, rockstars and so on. It ill be the cool place to be!

Witnesses are not living as happy a life as their stepford smiles would lead you to believe, trust me. They are a ticking time bomb of nerves most of them. Take a deep breath and go enjoy the life you are fortunate enough to have and experience.

Also what _morpheus said is true. You can get to a place where you have so much peace, you just haven't found your way all the way there yet.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am so sorry you feel that way.

First, the bible says we are all imperfect, and God is a just God, so why do you feel that you have done something so unforgivable that God would not forgive you? I don't mean for you to tell me, but, come on, everybody makes mistakes. Do you remember the prodigal son in the bible? He did all kind of horrible things, despite a loving father, yet he was warmly welcomed when he came home.

The JWs have it pretty much all wrong anyway, so if you feel bad because of them, forget about it. They do not represent God. You are engaging in the black and white thinking that they love, but it's just nonsense. They cover up child sexual abuse, so that tells you how much they speak for God. If there is such a thing as an unforgivable sin they have done it by appointing pedophiles to be elders and making date predictions that are all wrong, and making perfectly nice people feel wrong for not living up to impossible standards.

Pray for forgiveness then get on with your life, leave this stupid cult and free yourself from the guilt, it isn't helping you.

• Half banana
    Half banana

060 Well done for posting, you sound like one unhappy bunny and I sympathise with you. When I was a JW I always felt sad and nervous but when I realised that I had no obligation to the Watchtower org and learned that the Bible is not what is seems, I felt free. I now live very happily without knowing or worshipping any god. Although you are feeling bad at the moment believe me there is another way in which you will be able to be happy again.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I took a little time to read through some of your posts. I see where this has been an ongoing problem for you.

After understanding the pain your in I suggest that you get some professional help ASAP. Think about it as if you had a psychical problem......... would you suffer in silence or get thee to a doctor? Same thing so run a search for mental health clinics in your area or for counselors who can hear you out and offer alternatives.

Come on this site as often as you need to but maybe focus on other aspects of your life so we can share the wit and wisdom of many folks who have gone through this.

The one thing you need to realize is that the 'truth' isn't the truth. What you were told to believe is pretty much made up stuff. Every religion in the entire world is made up stuff.

If you were a Catholic or Baptist you'd be fretting about Hell fire....right? The JW's have invented their version of Hell that's the bad news. The good news is that they made up their BS so it has no real power over you.

What happens after we die........ who knows. Maybe a spiritual god is waiting to embrace you.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

Part of what you are experiencing is a natural phenomenon. This might sound odd, but you are going through what is called an “identity crisis.”

You might think it is a spiritual crisis, but it isn’t…not exactly. I used to be one of JWs, and now I work in the field of Bible scholarship and translation. It’s been about a couple of decades since I was a part of the Watchtower religion, but I’ve been exactly where you are.

What we believe actually defines what and who we think we are. When this core belief system gets damaged or destroyed, the same thing happens to us. We are who we think we are, and a lot of that has to do with how we understand the world and the universe around us.

When we were Jehovah’s Witnesses we defined everything according to what we were taught. Upon leaving we might step into a vacuum unless we are ready to agree that everything, not just a little bit, but everything we learned from the JWs can’t be relied upon. Even things that might be accurate or true are affected in one way or another by the false doctrines and teachings of the JW religion.

The only way to get through this is to start from scratch.

That means you have to ignore anything and everything you learned from the Watchtower…at least learn not to trust any of it unless you can verify what you learned as a Witness from other sources and people (and person experience).

This means you can’t believe anything about the Bible, religion, other cultures, the world, or even the universe that was taught to you by the JW religion. You have to start all over again. You must take nothing for granted.

You might end up being an atheist, an agnostic, or even choosing a different religion. It sounds like you might feel the need for some spirituality—at least for now, at that’s okay. You can find hope and spiritual answers outside of the Watchtower. You can also learn to live without them and not feel that you are lacking hope or direction—yes, without a religion or spirituality.

But the reason you feel this way now is because you still believe that the only type of hope you can have is the religious one you were exposed to as a JW. That isn’t true. If you really want to understand religion in general, then open yourself to learning and even experiencing them and the people who belong to these other religious traditions. How do Hindus or Muslims deal with life? What kind of hope do Buddhists or Jews have? Is faith an earmark of all religious or spiritual movements?

You might also learn that religion might not hold the answers you seek. You might find that hope and faith are not as important to you in the end. But you can’t get even to this point unless you take the previous steps of letting go of the Watchtower and admitting you weren’t given a real hope or faith or religion as a Witness.

You didn’t really know anything about the Bible or God or Christianity because JWs don’t know any of those things. So you had no real hope to begin with. You were denied a hope, a faith, a religious experience as long as you remained a JW. If you really want one then you need to go find one as very different from the JWs as you possibly can.

Be patient. Don’t give up. You will find things out if you let them work themselves out. There’s an old Jewish adage that states: “Pray as if everything depends on God, but act as if everything depends on you.”

Go ahead, pray, ask God for help. Whether it is God or something else you end up embracing in the end, you will get there. But don’t expect answers to come down from the sky to your lap. Search them out yourself. The end result might not be what you are expecting, but nothing will improve unless you make it improve yourself. (And we will do our best to help you along on your journey, wherever it may take you. You're going to be okay.)

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah, I agree with Morpheus and FMF. I consider myself generally pretty well-adjusted (in spite of my upbringing in a cult) and generally happy, but even so therapy has been helpful. I think in your case it may really help you to understand many of the cognitive distortions that you're employing that give you a rather dim view of yourself and of your future.

If nothing else, I would recommend that you read up on cognitive behavior therapy, which can be quite helpful in situations that you seem to be facing. A good book on the topic is "Feeling Good" by David Burns.

There's absolutely no reason why you need to live in a state of fear and anticipation for a terrible future. That's the type of thing that can often result in self-harm and I hope that you are able to avoid going any further down that path. Please, please, please find a way to get some help.

Again as morpheus said, this comes from a place of concern with absolutely no judgement (hey, I'm seeing a therapist myself!) so I hope you will at least consider it.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    "I've thought and said too much to ever gain Jehovahs forgiveness and love if I want to be a Christian again."
    According to what I've learned from the Bible, you can't really say too much to be forgiven by God. That goes for the JW God and the traditional Christian God. Unless you're Judas Iscariot you're pretty much safe.
    I made a topic on my unforgivable sin and blaspemy of the holy spirit.
    Well I read your unforgivable sin and I can wholeheartedly say in my opinion that you are NOT a son/daughter of destruction. If God took offense at your forum post he would not be God but be a petty child. And if you believe in the New Testament God he would not do such a thing. Now the Old Testament God is another story, but I digress...
    I feel saddness everyday having no relationship with God, no religion And FEAR OF THE AFTERLIFE.
    Well if a relationship with God is what you really desire then that is what you should pursue.
    Even when I was kid I feared death and the end of the world. I use to pray that I would get cancer and die before Jehovah destroyed the earth so I couldnt see it I would be too scared.
    Um, I thought Jehovah would NOT destroy the earth, just the wicked. I might be wrong, I haven't been to the Kingdom hall in years so it might be new light. When I was a kid I used to pray to be preserved through Armageddon because I did not want to die. I always imagined it like the Israelite pass over. I imagined the Angels would just make a 'wicked' persons heart stop, no pain or anything. Then we would collect and bury the bodies for seven years while thanking God for not annihilating us.
    I envy other JWs who grew up in a decent home with mentally stable JWs and are now living life happily as JWs. My brother is the only nice Jehovah Witness in my family.
    Mentally stable JW homes are rarer than you think. I grew up in a divided home which made for very interesting debates. Perhaps I should rephrase that: interesting fights. If your brother is nice then rejoice that you have someone who you can relate to.
    But when I was a kid I had the hope of paradise. Now I have no hope. None.
    Well you could stop worrying too much about the next life and focus on your current one.
    Be a caring person.
    Pursue your passion.
    Make a difference.
    The worst thing I ever did was to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses while still believing that the religion was correct. Many years later I would return to the religion and after a few years realized I had been lied to my entire life. After I left I was very sad but also liberated. Leaving the JW's while still believing really clouds your judgement.
    You can always:
    1. Return to the JW's if you want to and it really makes you happy. (I know this is forum heresy, but some people just need to be JW's)
    2. Figure out which other religion or denomination is the one that makes the most sense. For example: If you fear the afterlife you could always look at teachings like Christian Universalism.
    3. Leave religion alone for a while and just live your life as an individual trying to make a difference, enjoying life and being a well rounded individual. God would understand if you needed some time, otherwise he wouldn't be God and wouldn't be loving.
    4. Become an atheist (like me) and still try to do number 3.
    5. Seek professional help to assist you through your difficult time.
    6. Rejoin the JW's and then claim to be one of the anointed while secretly mailing 'New Light' in the form of Scientology brochures to the Governing Body in Brooklyn.
    7. Relax and go make some tea.
    You can do some/all/none of the above at any time during your lifetime.
    I think I might consider doing point number 6 (and 7) in the near future...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit