Stupid drunk drivers......

by Jesus Christ 44 Replies latest jw friends

• animal
    animal

There are lots of reasons that some people shouldnt drive. The BAC count is the only way the legal system can document a drivers "level" of inability, in thier opinion.

Too much coffee, anger, in a rush, poor eyesight or hearing... they all contribute to accidents also. None of these can be documented tho, like BAC.

I have told politicians that if they want Prohibition, to just do it. Make it illegal to drink any booze, and that will solve the problem. They laugh and say that it would be political suicide. There is way too much money involved in both the sale of alchohol, and the treatment of abusers. The sad part of it all is that the responsible users are caught up in it.

Personally, I wont have even one beer whan I am on the bike or in my truck. That is my choice tho, since the law is so perverted and I dont wanna go back to jail. DUI checkpoints are unconstitutional yet the emotional ones let them happen. I propose checkpoints in the morning, on the way to work, where you will find a load of DUI's from the night before. Again, I was told that this would not be accepted by the public.

Until a real solution is found, no law will fix the problem. Look at the war on drugs? Another failure.

Animal

• LB
    LB

scooter what a horrible story. I can't imagine what you have gone through. If your thoughts don't wake someone up, they aren't capable of waking up.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Scootergirl, that is definitely the saddest story I've read in a LONG time. I drive a pretty treacherous mountain road every day to get to and from work, so that story touches my heart even more, for both myself and my girlfriend are concerned about my safety. I can only imagine how painful this has been for you through the years - my thoughts are with you.

I do understand the message JWS is laying on the table, however. The drunk drivers that cause accidents most frequently have levels way over the legal limit. Also, the alcohol coupled with the stupidity that "they've done this before" and still attempt to drive as fast contributes to them having accidents - their confidence is too high and their gaurd is down. A "drunk" driver ("drunk" to me implies not being able to walk in a straight line, speech extremely slurred, loud talking, chances of passing out and/or getting sick) is extremely dangerous, stupid and un-called for. Impaired driving is less dangerous when done by somebody who has the wits about him to realize the seriousness of the situation and concentrates on every aspect of his/her driving. That still does not make it okay and that seems to be the point that everyone is missing. It's not okay, but at the same time you must realize too, like JWS pointed out, that several things can qualify as "impaired driving" such as cell phone use, reaching for a CD, etc. These things too are distracting, which lead to accidents just as frequently as someone who takes their eye off of the road at the wrong time, unfortunately. OR someone's who's level is just over the legal limit....that is an assumption though.

I wonder if there are any surveys done that compare the casualties from accidents involving cell phone and/or other distractions in the car with impaired drivers that were a tenth of a point (or two) over the legal limit. I would think you'd find the results quite comparable.

Personally, the way some people drive, they should never even THINK about trying to use a cell phone while driving, others have the skills and awareness to be able to do both in a safe manner. It's all about driving skills - people have different levels - try to have a 15 year old dial a number on their cell phone while learning to drive and you'll end up in an accident 9 times out of 10. Have a race car driver do it and I bet you'd feel a LOT safer. Why? Because he's a trained, professional driver who knows how to handle himself (and the car) behind the wheel. Give him one beer and put him behind the wall, and then do the same with a young boy or girl, or someone w/ Turrett's Syndrome, or an elderly person who's vision is impaired, and who would you say is more prone to be in an accident? Granted, none of them should be driving due to the alcohol in their system, but chances are very high that a race car driver with one beer in his system is not going to run an intersection or swerve over the double line, whereas the probability of the others mentioned doing it would be significantly greater.

So, I think that people shouldn't drive at all with alcohol in their blood - it's just a lot safer that way. The roads are dangerous enough being completely sober. However, I feel more emphasis should be put on drivers that are not "solid" drivers that do unsafe things behind the wheel besides drinking, for they are just as dangerous. Not to mention people that are high on some sort of drug while driving - not a good idea. My ex-girlfriend is a paramedic and can tell you all kinds of horrible stories of young kids coming home from raves high on ecstasy and getting into accidents.

My sympathies to those who've lost loved ones in car accidents due to drunk driving or any other cause for that matter. I wish the justice system was actually a justice system when serving sentences to these people. They need to feel the pain the caused others, and I don't know how that can be done if they aren't sent to prison for an extended period of time. Driving is serious business....

Regards,

back2dafront

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Jason and LB......thank you for your kind words.

The laws didn't stop the drunk driver from killing my husband, didn't stop him all the numerous times he had driven under the influence, and from what I saw, didn't stop him after the crash either. Laws can not control people's actions/decisions. People are going to find someway around the laws, someway to do what they want to do but not get caught. I do believe that consequences may in some cases deter behavior-and I do believe that we need stiffer consequences.

There were many times I wished that this person that killed LeRoy would have had to physically come into my life and see what I was going thru. I wished he would have had to come to the hospital when our daughter was born and actually "see" the consequences of his decision-see this beautiful little girl brought into the world w/out having her father there.

Funny thing, is a part of me really "feels" for this man. If he has any ounce of humanity, I hope that he has come to terms with his actions. He has a family....has a wife and children. I wonder if he thinks of that fateful night.......I hope he finds peace and forgiveness.

I wish there was a solution. You can't imagine how I wish there was a solution......I never want anyone to have to go thru what LeRoy's family or me had to go thru......and not only us, the family of the drunk driver also. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live with the responsibilty of killing someone because of your impaired judgement.

Edited by - scootergirl on 10 November 2002 12:47:28

• animal
    animal

Many people drink because they cannot handle a given situation in thier life. So, my guess is that someone in your husbands killers shoes probly drinks more now than before, unless he honestly wanted to change things in his own life.

I have lost many brothers due to drunk driving, mostly on thier part... motorcycles are said to be unsafe, but if you removed booze and speed, they would be as safe as any car.

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit