Life on other planets?

by freedom96 18 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

As JW's, we were taught that there is no way that there is life anywhere but here on earth.

I personally never bought into that completely. There are billions and billions of solar systems out there. I do believe that absolutely there is life on other planets. Is it intelligent? I don't know. I think there is plant life, I believe there are other planets capable of sustaining humans, with vegetation, water, air. Are there animals? I would think perhaps there are bug like creatures, maybe small animals. I do not find it that hard to believe. Is there actually intelligent life as we know it? Don't know. Aliens visiting our planet? I think unlikely.

I just would be suprised that with God creating earth, and having all that power, that he would settle on just one planet that would be life sustaining.

For those who do not believe in God, we got here somehow. Did lilfe come to exist just like us on other planets, solar systems? Would that not seem likely?

• LB
    LB

It's hard to imagine just us isn't it? Billions of star systems out there. I say there's life just like us and life very different from us out there.

• Francois
    Francois

The JW teaching that sentient life exists only on earth is nothing more than the warmed-over Dark Ages belief that the earth was the center of the universe. In this case MAN is the center of the universe. No real difference in the basic concept.

I personally believe that the universe TEEMS with life. I don't believe the myth of Adam and Eve as we have received it from various religions, however I do think that some sort of Oops happened early on that wasn't done in the approved manner of doing things and that whatever it was was done by various cosmic overseers (sorry for that word). As a result, we are temporarily a "bad apple" in the universe spiritual economy and are subsequently isolated from other life sustaining planets and the beings that live on them.

As for aliens visiting us, well certainly not in the "War of the Worlds" sense. But think about this. The electromagnetic spectrum is a very, very wide range of frequencies, but the human eye can only see a very, very limited slice of that specturm - you know from deep blue bordering on ultraviolet to the deep red of the near infrared. And that's ALL we can see. What if there are cosmic beings sitting in the room with you who are OUTSIDE YOUR RANGE OF VISION? That doesn't make them any less real does it? Look at what we can see with special equipment using that part of the electromagnetic spectrum called X-rays? We can't see it with our physical eyes, but we can capture the image on film and then look at it, can't we?

The Master made reference to these other worlds, sheep not of this fold, etc., etc., that the WT has attempted to explain away, rationalize. But now that we've outgrown the ignorant bullshit spewing from the WT we have rejected this kind of simplistic thinking.

That's what I think anyway. But it is logical, ain't it?

francois

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I have no problem with accepting that there could be intelligent life out in the universe, I do have a hard time accepting that we have intelligent life on this planet at times though.

My thought

Dragon

• metatron
    metatron

Intuitively, which makes more sense:

We are all alone in the universe. There's nobody else out there. We are utterly
    unique as intelligent physical creaures in the cosmos.

or

We are just one of many worlds. Our existence isn't that big a deal in a universe
    loaded with more planets than anyone can count. The same set of forces and
    conditions that made intelligent life here also created it in countless places
    elsewhere. If you believe in a personal creator, then he hasn't been lazy
    across the billions of years since its birth.

I think it is likely that other worlds are highly moral, in their way, because
    if they weren't they would wipe themselves out of existence as the power of individuals
    increases. Imagine that anyone could make plutonium and you would have world peace
    - or no world at all, in short order.

metatron

• Mary
    Mary

I believe there is life on other planets............the GB's theory that we are the ONLY created world, is about as outdated as the Catholic Church's idea that the earth was the center of the universe during the Dark Ages.

Here's an interesting link about space travel and time travel.....

http://www.anu.edu.au/Physics/courses/A07/studentsites/studentsites2001/WAG/Wormholes.html

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Ironically, I was watching the Space channel this weekend, and a program on UFO's. I do believe that life exists in the universe... we've found life here on earth in the most unlikely, inhospitable places.

After watching some of the footage of the show, it makes you wonder. When there are mass sightings and "reliable" wintesses (pilots), etc.

I'm not sure if I'm a believer in intelligent life that "visits" our earth - however, I'm not a disbeliever either. Sounds wishy-washy I know... What I found fascinating was early drawings in ancient civilizations recording UFO's, and in old paintings.

They seem to be apart of the human psyche.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Ditto Dragon!

• nilfun
    nilfun

closeup of a 15th century painting by Domenico Ghirlandaio

Edited by - nilfun on 4 November 2002 18:28:53

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Life on other planets?

The only other planet I've ever visited was planet Kingdom Hall, and there was no life there with no possibility for life to emerge. The conditions there were far to hostile for life.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit