Could the Independent Inquiry in England and Wales expose jw.org's child abuse failures? And how can we help?

by defender of truth 69 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Well done Paul Bonanno.

If people are not sick of me posting about this yet, here are some interesting quotes from recent news articles:

A five-year inquiry has been launched to uncover institutional paedophile activity and cover ups, and Professor Alexis Jay who is on the panel of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, has warned that the range of abuse is potentially enormous.

Now she is reassuringly dauntless in the face of an investigation which will reach into the powerhouses of Britain, from Westminster and the BBC, to health services, schools, churches, charities and local authorities.

She said: “If abuse has been carried out by anyone, anywhere, it doesn’t matter where they sit in our hierarchy, it needs to be uncovered.”

It will investigate abuses and any cover ups in England and Wales but its tentacles will inevitably touch Scotland.

Dame Lowell Goddard, the New Zealand judge running the five-year inquiry, has promised it will be transparent and lead to “meaningful change”.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/crime/scots-sex-inquiry-expert-vows-6308432

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse is looking at whether public bodies have taken seriously their duty of care to protect children from sexual abuse in England and Wales.

Chairman Lowell Goddard said in her letter to the council: "The terms of reference for the inquiry are extremely broad. As such, it is not yet clear exactly what files, records and documents we will be requesting from your organisations.

"This will become clearer as the work of the inquiry progresses.

"In the meantime we must ensure that no line of investigation is curtailed by the premature destruction of files or records that later become required as evidence."

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Council-line-audit-child-protection-work-wake/story-27675213-detail/story.html

The head of Britain’s biggest-ever public inquiry has vowed to ‘name names’ as she roots out sick child abusers across the land.

Justice Lowell Goddard, head of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, said she will use every legal power to force witnesses to give evidence.

She has written to hundreds of British institutions including the church, the NHS and every Government department ordering them not to destroy records that could relate to child abuse.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/child-sex-inquiry-judge-vows-6036530

I wonder if the WTBTS of Britain has been ordered to not destroy any records, and also the records kept at various Kingdom Halls, by extension? I really hope they have been told not to shred anything...

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jehovahs-witnesses-destroyed-documents-showing-7340603

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3175840/Jehovah-s-Witnesses-destroyed-1000-cases-child-sexual-abuse-1950-protect-wives-Royal-Commission-told.html

• mrmagic
    mrmagic

Yes I have something to add. Write to the Inquiry. They want to know about your experience and your story. These commissions and inquiries are interactive and designed for public engagement. You don't have even get out of your bed. You can email these officials from your cell phone or laptop.

Armchair activism can be just as effective as the picketing with signs, if not even more effective when you factor social media and viral messages. Grab yourself a beer or a coffee and think about the power you have at your finger tips.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Helpline launched for abuse survivors ahead of inquiry

" A team of trained counsellors will operate a free dedicated helpline run by the NSPCC for those wishing to give evidence to the Goddard inquiry.

NSPCC chief executive Peter Wanless, said: "Many victims of abuse have been waiting too long for an opportunity to speak out and get justice.

"Many of them will have harrowing stories to tell so we want to make what could be a tortuous journey as easy as possible.

"Our counsellors have vast experience of dealing with sensitive issues so the dedicated helpline will be a vital part of the inquiry's work."

The helpline number is 0800 917 1000.

www.itv.com/news/update/2015-07-09/helpline-launched-for-abuse-survivors-ahead-of-inquiry/

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    Many religious organisations will find themselves being closely scrutinised in the national independent inquiry into child sexual abuse, chaired by New Zealand judge Lowell Goddard.
    The survivors of such abuse hope that the inquiry will prove itself truly independent, and help ensure that abusers will not be able to rely on their own congregations or religious leaders to protect them - whatever their faith.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33609927

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho
    defender, I have already been in touch with them and they will respond soon I hope.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You go, DOT!!! By the way, I'm sure that Tomo has just decreed ( LOL!) that he will personally ask for the WTBTS to be reviewed by the Superior Authorities; suggestions will be taken of course!

DD

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Despite the fact that I know they're True Believers, are certain they're right, and are convinced God's got their back, I still find myself asking...

... "how the f**k did the WTS ever think that this wouldn't come back to bite them on the ass, someday?"

• 88JM
    88JM

Sadly not seeing anything that could involve the JW's on the list that came out today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34940723

It seems the inquiry really doesn't go far enough at all.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Don't give up hope yet...

Page 3 of the Independent Inquiry November statement reads as follows:

"10. Our fourth and fifth investigations will deal with failings by two major religious institutions in England and Wales, namely the Roman Catholic church and the Anglican church.

We will also be conducting research into child sexual abuse in other faith communities, which will lead to other investigations in time. "

And from page 1:

"Twelve investigations are proposed for this first phase.. They represent only the start of the Inquiry's investigations and are by no means the total of the work we intend to conduct; further investigations will be announced as the Inquiry progresses. "

Also, this is an important point from page 2:

"..We will not be limited to considering the particular institution that is the focus of the investigation, but will address the range of institutions responsible for child protection. And our recommendations will generally be made with the whole sector, rather than any specific institution, in mind."

This inquiry is ultimately all about highlighting institutional failures when it comes to protecting children from sexual abuse, then recommending ways that ALL religions (and all other sectors) can handle child sexual abuse differently.. Each of us wants the world to be a safer place for future generations to grow up in.

A potential exposure of harmful Watchtower policies would be great obviously...

But either way, whether Jw's are specifically investigated or not, the findings of this Inquiry are hopefully going to change the future with regards to institutional standards of dealing with abuse cases, and even getting proper support and compensation to victims (see page 7). I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Please feel free to share any thoughts you have on the statement, it is well worth reading:

www.iicsa.org.uk/sites/default/files/update-statement-november-2015.pdf

Introductory video and updates are all here:

www.iicsa.org.uk/

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy
    BTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit