Whatever Happened to the Remnant?

by snugglebunny 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Clambake
    Clambake

After the whole flip flop on the 1935 thing and the new understanding of the faithful slave being part of the " heavenly class " really has no meaning anymore. I don't even know why they still have the memorial.

Anyone find it kind of silly that ex-JWs have a better understanding of JW theology than actual JWs do.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You would think people would high tail it out there regardless of family members being in ?

Its a measure on how much mental control a institution has over people.

Things that come up that contravene previous information, can be introduced as New Light.

But as in all relgoius institutions to be in good standing your expected to accept and not disagree with that newly expressed information, rather your expected to be thankful and grateful .

The anointed number was suppose to dwindle down because of " This Generation " from 1914 doctrine which meant as that specific generation progressively got older, the GT was to occur followed closely by Armageddon.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

My mother is "anointed" and has been partaking since the mid-eighties. When she started partaking, there was the usual murmurs from everyone which varied in tone between disapproval to suspicion, with a very minority of approval. I know that it was heartburn for the elders. All of our family suffered for it. Remember? New partakers were not supposed to happen and their diminishing number was supposed to be proof that the end was near. So, you can imagine, sometimes, I think we were being treated like it was my mother's fault that Armageddon had not happened yet.

It was only until she talked/socialized with the more "revered"/older remnant, that the congregation (and the elders) seem to treat her as one. I sat through so many dinners and get-togethers surrounded by the "anointed". All I can say is that they all seemed ernest, sincere, and completely 100% delusional.

• steve2
    steve2

Because the 1914 doctrine is wrong, all doctrines based upon it are also wrong. Subsequent "adjustments" may seem reasonable, but error does not become the truth through reason, although false doctrine well-argued may be more palatable.

Stripped of special pleading, the Witnesses' central doctrine is wrong.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I bet there's a few GB members who wished the organization never started counting the anointed ones ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good point Steve2

The WTS. organization weighed its entire doctrinal structure (1914) on a false doctrine particularly all throughout the 20th century.

Now the WTS. has the task to slowly ween itself away from that false doctrine and make it look like fortuitously new light.

It is amazing that a group of men can make astonishing proclamations in how they have the truth and no one else has, then make a long list of prominently false teachings and still proclaim themselves the chosen ones.

I guess when there is so much power and money involved , personal integrity gets passed off to something of little importance. Ray Franz was among the few that seemed to have a level of personal integrity.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I guess all those original remnant 1950's members that I recall must have died off by now. Which means, according to WT doctrine, that all present "genuine" remnant must have received their calling because those other members have fallen away.

And yes, the point about the Memorial now being meaningless is well made.

• trevor
    trevor

Back in 1962 when I was 7 the only congregation member of the anointed remnant died. A service was held and the coffin was taken to the local cemetery. As they prepared to lower the coffin, my dad looked at the sky before turning to me and my older brother.

‘Just think, because our dear brother had a heavenly hope he is up there watching us right now. He is witnessing his own burial.’

My brother continued to stare at the ground. I looked heavenward until my eyes smarted but was unable to locate the spectator. I shook my head. ‘I can’t see him.’

Dad sighed. ‘That’s because he now has an invisible spirit body. He has put on immortality.’

• hoser
    hoser

The whole two-class distinction was a creation of Rutherford.

Rutherfraud couldn't grow his business religion anymore so he had to change the rules.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    As "new" anointed started to multiply, a trend seemed to be that they exhibited some narcissistic attitudes. A lack of humility seemed to be rampant. When I was a child they were all elderly and therefore sedate and pious from years as a Witness. The new anointed were all young and acted like they were special. Most were either whack jobs, evident by their extreme views, or literally heard voices. I would steer clear of them not because of an edict from the GB but because they seemed to be fanatics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit