Whatever Happened to the Remnant?

by snugglebunny 38 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Back in the 50's, when I was just a skinny kid, my father became PO of a new congregation. He'd only been baptised for around 4 years, so his rise was quite remarkable.
    Just one of his flock in the new cachement area was of the "remnant". This lady was well into her 60's, childless but married. Her name was Alice. She was a pleasant soul on the surface and called everyone "Ducky" - including my father.
    At the time, persons of the remnant were held in very high regard indeed. Their numbers were diminishing fast and they were highly valued.
    My father would consult Alice on a weekly basis concerning all aspects of his congregation's affairs. Her husband was well used to visits from PO's, CO's and DO's and would busy himself making tea and coffee when they called. Sometimes, when my father received a visit from one his flock who was experiencing a crisis, he would declare "I need to go and see Alice", and off to Alice he'd go. Alice would advise him on no end of congregational affairs and personal matters, and in the main, she seemed to be quite a wise old owl.
    Once, Alice told my father that the spirit in the congregation was being restricted by immorality - fix it Ducky! Regrettably, the culprit was a 14 year-old girl who had her misdoings read out to the entire congregation and even now as a 70 year-old woman, is still deeply affected by the experience. Not so good!
    On another occasion we had a joint assembly with a neighbouring circuit. Alice was seen talking animatedly with several other elderly people whom she had just met. She claimed to be able to recognise fellow remnant members and they claimed the same.
    So now, I wonder what ever happened to the high esteem in which these people were once held?
    It seems to be that the WT has implied that anyone claiming to be of this group is most likely mentally ill.
    And yet, they were once regarded as being the creme de la creme of Watchtower land.
    How times change!
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Well if you're a JW you basically have to be a little off your rocker to think you're anointed these days. The way they explain it, it almost seems like you have to be hearing voices or something to know for sure. All of those that claim to be anointed any more do seem to be a little bit off. Even without the WT demonizing new partakers (for screwing up their stats) I think the r/f would have a suspicious view of them just because they're all a little off.

I suspect that this also has something to do with them getting rid of the 1935 cut-off date, too.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

whatever happened to the remnant?

probably died

romans 6;3

• Ding
    Ding

The whole two-class distinction was a creation of Rutherford.

The fact that today's GB neither knows nor cares who the "anointed remnant" are shows what they really think of the doctrine.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    when i first joined this site 5 years ago there was a regular contributor who claimed to be of the annointed--even though she had left the cult. go figure. i wonder if she still reads these threads.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

And yet, they were once regarded as being the creme de la creme of Watchtower land.
    How times change!

Yes indeed, what is interesting though is when the WTS started to realize the anointed number was climbing and this by their own recognition wasn't something that was suppose to happen.

This is when the WTS started to bring down this recognized group and say well these people are most likely suffering from a mental disorder.

The WTS is always concerned about numbers, who is doing what and what are the results from their activities toward helping the strength and viability of the organization.

Even in saying that the WTS has discouraged people to make that claim, who wants to be recognized as having a mental disorder ?

• Bigdummy
    Bigdummy

I have a bipolar disorder and recently I have discovered I have Pure O which is a

varient of OCD. I have had Pure O all my 60 plus years I just thought it was normal

until recently when I discovered they have a name for it now. Anywho, would I now be

qualified to partake of the emblems next Memorial? LOL

P.S. I try to be Christs brother, so scriptually I hope I'm qualified anyway. I've lived

with these ailments all my life and I finally resolved myself to accept it along with meds

and decided to just ride it out until I croak and be the best person I can be.

• megaboy
    megaboy
    Hm, how did this get doctrinally explained out of importance? Typically if something like this just drops or swings to a different view out of nowhere thats a sign of the whole opperation being rotten. You would think people would high tail it out there regardless of family members being in.
  • steve2
    steve2

Snugglebunny you're observations mirror mine when I was also a skinny kid born at the wrong end of the 50s. My maternal grandfather was PO of the local congregation that he had helped establish in the late 1920s. Remnant were held in quietly high regard, not exactly seen as having the last word but whose utterances were well regarded.

What's happen to that conviction-strong group? Oh, they are all to a last one dead, buried and, sadly, forgotten by the organization. Yet in their heyday they were the epitome of dedication and spirituality. They would not recognize today's cardboard personalities and simpleton-marketed messages.

The remnant as a concept has gone the way of those 'old school' Witnesses. If such a substantial body of men and mostly women can 'die off' and be forgotten over time, well thdir replacements - cardboard and simpleton messages - don't stand a chance of lasting through the upcomong decades.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    We were told as children, "never question peoples claim that they were of the annointed." Now they are calling ones mentally diseased if they claim to be of this class. Trying to figure these things out just makes my head hurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit