methadone clinic next to Toys R Us

by Princess 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

1. They are not moving into a residential neighborhood, they are moving into a commercially zoned location. They are in the business of providing Methodone to people who need it.

2. Do you think it would be ok if it was across from a toy store on the "poor" side of town? Don't you think families live there too? I can't think of a better location than in a medical complex.

3. There is a meth clinic in DC that has been there at least 20 years, right on Georgia Ave NW. We have friends who own a business right across the street. Far from looking appetizing to me, as soon as I was old enough (8-9???) It was explained to me who these people were and what they were doing. BELIEVE me, I was not attracted to a life of drugs. Have you ever seen what Meth does to someone's skin????

4. Instead of acting as though it doesn't exist, I would use the opportunity to tell my child (of age) what it was. There is no use hiding this information from children old enough to understand it. If my younger child asked, I would say, "That person has a disease, and they are going to the doctor to get treated."

5. Our society loves to act as though a problem doesn't exist---if we can't see it. It sure isn't pretty to look at Meth users every time you go blow a couple of hundred in ToysRUs, is it now?

Lisa

Live and Let Live Class

• LDH
    LDH

<<<<<Crickets chirp>>>>>

Lisa

Thread Killer Class

• Princess
    Princess
    Do you think it would be ok if it was across from a toy store on the "poor" side of town?

Um, no.

I can't think of a better location than in a medical complex.

I can, a medical complex that isn't next door to and sharing a parking lot with a toy store.

Instead of acting as though it doesn't exist, I would use the opportunity to tell my child (of age) what it was

Never said I was going to do that, I just think four and six are too young to be forced to know about this stuff.

If my younger child asked, I would say, "That person has a disease, and they are going to the doctor to get treated."

I wouldn't. I don't see it as a disease. I'd rather the lab was located elsewhere. Lots of places NOT next to a toy store.

Our society loves to act as though a problem doesn't exist

I have said before that the clinic is not the issue, it's the location. I have no problem with the clinic and agree that one in this area is necessary.

It sure isn't pretty to look at Meth users every time you go blow a couple of hundred in ToysRUs, is it now?

What was the point of that comment? It just came across as spiteful.

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

Princess said:

I don't see it as a disease

I guess that's a matter of perception Princess. If we treated these sorts of things as a medical issue rather than a moral one, we wouldn't even be having this dicussion. I have a 14 year old son, and an 8 year old daughter. My 14 year old son lives with me, and we live around the corner from a halfway house for recovering drug addicts. I don't have a problem with it. I'm just glad these folks are getting help.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Anton

• LB
    LB

Well Princess is taking the heat here and holding up well. Seems like putting it next to a toy store is ok with most. How about next to a school? That ok too? How about next door to your home? That ok?

We need the clinics, no doubt. I wouldn't want one next door to me, a school or by a toy store and I think it's lousy judgement to put one there. There are plenty of available locations for such a place.

• Princess
    Princess

I found out who I need to contact and hassle about this. My husband trained for a bike ride with the man who is the main distributor of methadone to these clinics. He is trying to reach him to talk about it. I'm not planning on letting this go.

Thanks for your support LB. I never thought I'd have to defend myself on this one! It seems all I'm doing these days on the board is trying to defend my OPINIONS! Sheesh

Rachel

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I agree it is a disease, however, I don't think it should be near a school, or a toy store, or in a medical complex where familys go. I know I certaintly wouldn't feel more comfortable going to a place like that, I'd be worried about my vehicle getting broken into. For whatever reason. Drug adicts are not rational, or they wouldn't be using adictive drugs in the first place.

• Princess
    Princess

I guess the disease part is just a matter of opinion. I can't see it, can you tell me why? To me it seems like calling heroin addiction/methadone use a diesease would be the same as calling quitting smoking cigarettes with a nicotene patch a disease as well. I realize it's on a much smaller scale but isn't it basically the same? They are both life threatening.

I'm not debating, just wondering why you see it as a disease TH, Anton and LDH.

Rachel

• LDH
    LDH

Rachel,

Please don't take my words personally. They are not meant to be taken personally. Period.

That being said, I have seen enough evidence to convince that people who succumb to addictive disorders such as drugs, gambling, smoking etc....have a genetic 'defect' for lack of a better word. Just like alcoholism is a disease, so is drug use. That is the only explanation for why some people succumb entirely to the nature of the beast.

Three and six are too young to 'understand' the drug problem I agree entirely. This would make me wonder why you are concerned--they are not even aware of the identifiers that us adults use easily to isolate drug users. This young, they don't even ask questions that older children ask.

ToysRUs has absolutely no power in this matter. They are either the property owners (weakest position) or they lease the property (little bit stronger). They have no clout to determine which businesses are in their vicinity UNLESS they are the anchor tenant of a strip mall and that right has been reserved in the lease document. Otherwise they in no way have pull in this situation.

I can tell you....all the years that Meth clinic has been across the street from my friend's business--he's never had one problem with them. They come and go, and prefer to be anonymous.

Rachel, someone who easily succumbs to addictive behaviours certainly does have a disease...I bet Larc would even know the DSM-III code we would assign to such a person.

Lisa

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I see it as a disease, because it is a genetic disorder, other genetic disorders are classified like a disease. It's addictive behavior, these people basically can get addicted to anything, it's part of they gene make up. That's why some people get cancer, and some don't. Some people can drink alcohol, and not have a problem, some don't. Some people can do harder drugs, and then not touch them again. Hell there's people addicted to food. It's all based on your genetics. But since cancer is considered a disease, and basically is caused by a mutated gene, then why couldn't addiction also be classified as a disease, since it to is caused by a mutant gene. Some people can do harder drugs, and then not touch them again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit