methadone clinic next to Toys R Us

by Princess 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I was just reading an article in the Seattle Times about a new methadone clinic that will be set up Lynnwood, Washington. Lynnwood is quite literally, across the street from me and most of my shopping/errands are done there. This is the first I have heard of it and I am surprised it hasn't been more newsworthy than an article in the Wednesday edition of the Seattle Times. It didn't even get into the main part of the paper, it is in a magazine focusing on this county that was tucked inside the paper.

The clinic is going to be in a medical/dental office building located directly next to the Toys R Us Mulan and I visited yesterday to buy a birthday present for my two year old nephew. It is across the street from a large shopping mall (Bon, Sears, Nordstrom etc.) There is a high school located around the corner.

The doctors in the building where the clinic will be located are struggling to prevent it but are told it is a "done deal". They are wondering why no public notices were put up.

Why is this the first we are hearing of this?

Does this sound like a good location to you?

Rachel

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

This is a horrible place to put a methadone clinic. It seems to me that some children may get the idea that drugs are acceptable for use. I refuse to feel sorry for anyone who gets themselves hooked on hard drugs. If you get yourself on drugs, you can get yourself off drugs. Just don't bother me.

• Mulan
    Mulan

It wasn't in our paper today, and I went throught he whole thing. I get the Seattle PI.

I can't believe they are putting it there. Where is the public outrage?

Charlie, get on the phone to your contacts in the press!!!

• outnfree
    outnfree

I laughed when I read the topic, but, actually, this is not funny.

Shutterbug,

I think you're way too harsh (but entitled to your opinion). Methadone is used to help people other than hard drug addicts. For example, a Witness I knew was on the program to try to wean himself off of addicting, prescription pain killers which he had been taking for a legitimate medical condition. (One which will never go away. This was in tandem with physical therapy.)

Princess,

Next to a ToysRUs is, indeed, a terrible location for such a clinic. Letters to the editor, to the building owner, to your politicians and your vociferous presence at town hall meetings are likely the only options available to you. Go for it!

outnfree

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

What specific objections do you have?

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I find that when things like this "suddenly" occur, it is due to "politics". Someone did a favor and now the favor is being returned. That's why it was slipped in under the rug. Seems to me though, that with the right approach, the public could at least get their opinions to the front in the newspapers, etc. Make certain that it doesn't happen again somewhere else. These clinics are necessary, but location should definitely be considered, as those in attendance would be those who have drug dependence issues and need help.

However, if it's like so much other crap, the deadline for stopping it is probably over. (But the deadline for public outrage and complaint is never over.) I suppose in some of the big inner cities, you have strip joints and gambling cassinos next to churches and schools. But, when it shows up in the suburban communities, I believe people must be legally informed of what's being proposed.

Your local representatives have obviously not considered this as a serious concern. It appears they were wrong.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this

#1 - Its in a doctors office complex correct (i.e. other doctors offices there)? It isn't as if there will be a huge flashing neon sign saying "drug addicts here", or people standing outside said office building smoking away at their crack pipes or injecting themselves with needles.

#2 - Most people that go to toys-r-us are adults shopping for children. If they have their smaller children in tow, they don't even understand "methadone" anymore than they would understand "obstetrics/gynechology". For the older children, perhaps if they DID understand, then its a good chance to discuss drug abuse issues etc. etc.

Its kinda like group homes for special needs individuals. No one wants them in "their" neighborhood, yet society has a necessity. It always burns my butt when people in our area petition against clinics & group homes for those that have fallen on hard times. Until they've been personally affected, they can't understand the need.

• Princess
    Princess

I agree that methadone clinics are necessary, and the article mentioned that one is needed in this county. The closest clinic currently is in Seattle, about 15 miles south.

The location is the issue pettygrudger and bodhisattva. The doctors are not wanting their patients, especially children who are visiting the dentist to have to work their way around the methadone patients. Sure parents don't have to explain to their children what methadone is and why people need it, but wouldn't you like to just take your children to the toy store? Why have to explain anything other than why you aren't going to buy them everything they want?

Methadone clinic locations should be carefully chosen. I hate having to explain stuff like this to my children. My son does ask about everything he sees and doesn't settle for a quick, non-specific explaination. He is very intelligent at six and I just don't want to get into heroin and methadone yet.

Rachel

• Princess
    Princess

here is the article

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=methadone30n&date=20021030&query=methadone+clinic

Local News: Wednesday, October 30, 2002

Southwest Snohomish County
    Drug-clinic plan worries tenants

By Lynn Thompson
    Times Snohomish County bureau

E-mailE-mail this article
    PrintPrint this article

LYNNWOOD Snohomish County's first methadone-treatment clinic will likely locate in a Lynnwood professional building, despite the objections of neighboring doctors and dentists and a lack of notice to the surrounding community.

A California company is negotiating for space in the Alderwood Professional Building at 18631 Alderwood Mall Parkway, across from the east end of the mall. The offices are adjacent to Toys R Us and about half a mile from Lynnwood High School.

Lynnwood city officials say there is little they can do. A state law adopted last year makes it easier to locate facilities, such as methadone clinics, that often meet resistance from neighbors. Cities must accept such "essential public services" if they are compatible with existing zoning and the state establishes need, said Jim Cutts, Lynnwood community-development director.

The methadone clinic is a medical facility and can legally be located in the professional building, Cutts said.

And some say the clinic, which would treat heroin addicts with a synthetic opiate that doesn't cure them but relieves withdrawal symptoms, is long overdue.

"There are so many people who ask for help and there's no place to send them except outside the county," said Cheri Speelman, program director of AIDS Outreach and the Snohomish County Clean Needle Exchange. "The need is huge."

Many of the medical professionals who work in the building, however, say they're concerned that the clinic, which plans to treat 200 to 250 heroin addicts a day, will hurt their business, bring crime to the neighborhood and place children at risk.

"There are good and bad locations for this type of facility," said Don Schimmel, a clinical psychologist whose practice has included drug and alcohol assessment. "Why would you want to put it next to a Toys R Us?"

California-based CRC Health, which operates 25 methadone-treatment clinics in six states, plans to open the Lynnwood facility by the end of November, division president Phil Herschman said.

In hearings last summer in Everett, the state Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse determined the county, which had fought the placement of methadone clinics, needed three to treat its estimated 3,000 heroin addicts.

"Our hands are tied," Cutts said.

CRC originally planned to locate the first clinic in a commercial area on 164th Street Southwest, about a quarter-mile east of Interstate 5 near Mill Creek.

But Snohomish County Councilman Dave Gossett said he objected to the location because it was too close to residential neighborhoods.

CRC's Herschman said Gossett's concerns, coupled with the prospective landlord's desire to lease more space than needed for the clinic, redirected the company's search.

Doctors in the Alderwood Professional Building said they learned only accidentally of plans to locate the methadone clinic in the ground-floor space formerly occupied by a Virginia Mason medical clinic. The law does not require public notice to tenants or neighbors of proposed treatment facilities.

"I'm aghast," said Dr. Steven Baker, whose dental office is on the second floor of the building. "We have kids coming in here all the time. We're just picturing them having to run a gantlet to get to their doctor."

Some tenants met last week with Cutts and Lynnwood Police Chief Steve Jensen. They are also planning to meet with a lawyer and draw up a letter expressing their concerns to the City Council, neighboring businesses and the building's property-management company, said Don Floyd, a podiatrist who has practiced in the building since 1984.

"We're being told this is a done deal," he said. "We don't think this is a proper professional thing to go in this building."

Barry O'Connor, manager of Alderwood Mall, said the only objections he has heard about the facility have come from the doctors. But he echoed their concerns that there have been no public notice or meetings to inform nearby businesses.

"It would be beneficial to educate the community about what this business is about and how they conduct their operations," he said.

Lynn Thompson: 425-745-7807 or [email protected].

Edited by - Princess on 30 October 2002 12:47:11

• Mulan
    Mulan

That building has a lobby, elevators and long hallways, to the offices and clinics that families are taking their children to every day. I don't personally go to a doctor, chiropractor or dentist there, but if I did, I would be tempted to change to a different one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit