methadone clinic next to Toys R Us

by Princess 29 Replies latest jw friends

• rocky220
    rocky220

The only way that would work is if the clinic had security guard on site to keep people who finished inside moving right along, enforcing strict no-loitering policy, some ex-addicts are trying to get back to "normal" constructive lives and deserve an opportunity to do so. Shopping centers always have security for the regular no good for nothings so that should work.....me thinks...rocky220

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Outnfree,

You are correct, I was a little harsh, but there is all kinds of information out there concerning the downside of using certain drugs. Children today are taught this from the time they enter school. If they get out and, as an adult, intentionally do hard drugs they are going to receive exactly what they were warned about. Those who are addicted because of a medical problem are another matter. They deserve all the help we can give them.

You know, before I retired they had random drug testing which I hated. Peeing in a cup is not my idea of a fun time and since I've never used an illegal drug in my life I thought it was unnecessary. I swear, I sometimes think they called me more than others because they knew I would pass and they wouldn't be compelled to fire anyone.

In short my earlier post was not very well thought out. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

• Valis
    Valis

Many people that will go to the methadone clinic will look like ordinary folks and why? Because they are off smack and on methadone. Just becuase they have a drug problem does not make them lesser people and IMO they should be reintroduced to society as much as possible. As well, they may be walking around and talking to you everyday, yet you would never know so what does it matter?.. Its also a tad embarassing to have to get methadone every day..I know as I have carted several friends to and from many times. If anything they should be pitied and given every opportunity to become upstanding members of the community again. Its the ones not on methadone that you have to worry about.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I know why they put a methodone clinic next to toysRus.

It is approaching the holiday season, many kids wanting more toys, long waits for parents in line, then the toy the kid must have is not in stock. The parent flips out and instead of committing murder, killing the helpless checkout girl, they simple go next door ........ to the Methodone clinic.

Sounds like a good idea too me.

BTW... just kiddin.

• Princess
    Princess

I agree with some of what you wrote Valis. I realize the people getting the methadone are working on improving their lives and deserve every opportunity. However, I don't think the location is wise. It's not like it is the ONLY place in the rather large city that is available. It could be relocated away from a toy store for god's sake. They share a parking lot.

I don't think they deserve our pity, or that they want it. They got themselves into it and are working to get out. Great. Why should they be pitied?

You got yourself into the borg and you got out. You now take a daily dose of JWD. Do you deserve the pity of those who never got involved? OK, bad example but it's all I could think of.

Like I said earlier, I have no problem with the clinic. Just the location. They won't all be pretty, clean and sober people and I don't want to have to take my kids amongst them.

Rachel

• DINKY
    DINKY

Every time you take your child with you out to a restaurant, they are more than likely surrounded by alcoholics, so what's the difference?

Dinky

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

No matter where you go, there is someone on some kind of drug. Legal, prescription drugs, illegal, whatever. It is sad , but some of the worst drug addicts I have ever known , were hooked on pills that their upstanding doctors gave them. All they had to do is drive their big Mercedes to the doctors office to get their "stash". No one knew. It does seem strange to me to see anything that close to a big toysRus store, usually they own the whole block with no other stores around.

• Princess
    Princess

Dinky, that is not even close to being the same thing.

First, are you referring to drinking or non-drinking alcoholics? Non-drinking alcoholics don't need anything to take away the withdrawal symptoms. They are clean and sober. I don't take my children to restaurants where they will be exposed to obviously drunk people.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Ya methadone clinics are neccasary, but why right where a bunch of familys will be?

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Princess

I am surprised ToysRus are settling for this. If I were a parent living in that area, I wouldn't shop there, plain and simple. I'd travel a little bit extra distance and go to another store. If I think this way, many others will think this way. This leaves ToysRus in a position where they could be losing out on potential sales.

I'd be hopping up and down if I were them.

~Beck~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit