Did the society official track each member of the 144,000?

by Bob Loblaw 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw

When I left witness land in the early 90's, I remember hearing that out of 144,000 anointed members that there were only 8 to 9 thousand left and then the end will come.

I'm suddenly curious. The JW organization is one that puts emphasis on tracking, i.e., regular meeting attendance, current standing, field service hours, territory tracking, return visits, etc. Therefore, did the society ever try to track each and every member of the 144,000? Their names, ages, current standing, etc? If so, they had their 144,000. Right?

From a certain point forward then it becomes 144,000 and 1, 144,000 and 2,...etc.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Wouldn't surprise me. I think the publisher records include whether they profess to be anointed or not.
  • Ding
    Ding

Although the 144,000 have supposedly been chosen by Jehovah to rule with Christ from heaven one day and the way JWs treat these "brothers of Christ" is supposedly of critical importance, the GB neither knows nor cares who they are. Kind of tells you what the GB really thinks of their own doctrines, doesn't it?

WT, 8/15/2011, p. 22

Memorial partakers. This is the number of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed ones on earth? Not necessarily. A number of factors—including past religious beliefs or even mental or emotional imbalance—might cause some to assume mistakenly that they have the heavenly calling. We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know. The Governing Body does not keep a list of all partakers, for it does not maintain a global network of anointed ones.

• prologos
    prologos
    One of the reason there is no central registry of partakers is, that the majority, ladies could not be part of the Faithful & Discreet Slave on Earth. Only in heaven you say?
  • trevor
    trevor

In one of the congregations I was in we had 2 anointed members; both were women and fleshly sisters. They never appeared on the platform to do the student-talk-thing. When I became a Pioneer neither said a word to me, in fact we never spoke.

It all seemed very strange that they were going to rule in heaven instead of the Elders, being as Jesus said they would rule as kings.

• Splash
    Splash

There is a box on every publishers ministry record card to say if you profess to be one of the anointed or not.

Here's a copy of one from jwfacts

• dozy
    dozy

Franz discussed this in one of his books - the WTBTS makes no effort to keep any track or record of individual 144K members.

We had one in our congregation - a mid 50's MS. He was very studious but a bit of an odd fellow - I guess somewhat autistic. I remember asking him if he ever had any contact with the branch but he said he never had any. He actually seemed quite peeved about it - I think he expected that his opinion should be of some value.

COs tended to be a bit wary & dismissive of him once they learned he partook - I remember him being discussed in an elders meetings about why he wasn't an elder and one CO said " he claims to be anointed - well we won't say say more about that , then" and just smiled. That pretty much sums up the Societies attitude to any non GB or Nethinim member who claims to be of the 144K.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

There is a box on every publishers ministry record card to say if you profess to be one of the anointed or not.

While this is true, it is not reported back to the branch, but Elder, MS and Reg Pio are. Go figure. The one statistic they SHOULD be concerned with, they are not. How in the world would two "anointed" people from different parts of the world even know about each other? If those two were standing next to each other at a convention, they would have no idea that the person next to them was their brother/sister in Christ. The thought wouldn't even cross their mind.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The gb knows everything about the CO's, COBE's, pioneers, MS's, missionaries, etc, but nothing about the so called"brothers of christ"? Friggin ridiculously stupid.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    They probably used to, but stopped when they realized that there were more and more of them each year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit