Baptised Twice!

by PopeOfEruke 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

My friends Mother has been a JW for ages, and I was amazed when I heard she was baptized TWICE as a JW, once in the 1940's and again in about 1961.

Whats the deal with that?? She mumbles something about things changed in those years and the earlier baptism was invalid or needed re-doing...

Has anyone else heard of this? Was it common back then?

I would love to see a Bible precedent explaining the need for 2 baptisms, I mean, is it only for REALLY REALLY bad sinners?? Maybe the first dunking only took the tops off?

Pope

• blondie
    blondie

*** w73 6/1 341 Keeping God's Congregation Clean in the Time of His Judgment ***

Would there be need for rebaptism on the part of those abandoning their addiction to tobacco or other harmful product? No, this does not seem necessary. Knowledge brings responsibility and educates the conscience. (1 Tim. 1:13) The congregation gave them to understand that their practice did not prevent them, and they were baptized in accord with that understanding. (Acts 8:36) Of course, if an individual feels that he presented himself for baptism with a bad conscience due to such practice, he may decide to be rebaptized. That would be his personal decision.

*** w62 6/1 332-3 Why Be Baptized? ***

REBAPTISM NECESSARY?

Due to certain circumstances at the time when they got baptized or due to subsequent developments, some have doubts about the validity of their past dedication and baptism, and they wonder if they should be rebaptized. They may have been baptized at an early age or while they were very immature in the truth, or after baptism they became inactive in the ministry for a time. But this does not necessarily mean that we should be rebaptized, even though our immaturity might have later caused a temporary lapse in fulfilling our ministerial responsibilities. But if one submitted to baptism mainly because of emotional factors and without proper understanding, or in order to please ones parents or others, and if this baptism did not symbolize a prior dedication to do Jehovahs will, it would be proper to be baptized again.

We could not imagine Jehovah accepting the dedication of anyone living in an immoral situation or doing at the time of baptism things that would result in his being cut off from Jehovahs favor by disfellowshiping, if he were already in the Christian congregation.

The first baptism could not symbolize a dedication made under proper circumstances that Jehovah could accept. He should now make a firm resolve to do Jehovahs will and thus dedicate his life to Jehovahs service and then submit to baptism at the earliest opportunity.
  • PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Blondie

thanks very much for that info (and BTW I love Heart of Glass!!)

It seems to me the rebaptism is just another totally man-made law here, with no Biblical foundation.

That must be a first for JW's, a man-made rule! (NOT....)

Pope

• blondie
    blondie

I might add that this is no longer allowed though there is nothing current I can find in writing about it. I guess too many people were exercising the escape clause.

• minimus
    minimus

I was baptized twice. my big toe stuck out of the water the first time.

• blondie
    blondie

Like Achilles, eh?

• minimus
    minimus

Hey, maybe I have an invalid baptism.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Maybe she just wanted to go swimming.

Never know

Dragon

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

At any rate, it seems that Re-baptism has NOT been invalidated in writing by the WT Society.

Therefore I believe it sets a principle which a person who desires to fade away could use, namely :

That my first baptism was Invalid, therefore I am not able to be DA'ed or DF'ed.

Pope

• fairy
    fairy

well, maybe my baptism was invalid.......i probably wouldnt be that lucky

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit