Baptised Twice!

by PopeOfEruke 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jourles
    Jourles

Regarding the "have you been baptized before" question, yes, I was asked the same question.

Minimus ---- When you say you were baptized twice because of your big toe, I know exactly what you mean. A few years ago at an assembly/convention, I remember seeing two brothers circling around the baptismal pool watching the brothers dunk the newbies. It did not dawn on me what their purpose was until after one particluar sister was dunked three times. I noticed them tell the bro to dunk her again after the first time while they pointed to some point on their own body towards their lower leg/feet. I was totally confused as to what was going on. I thought, "Why are they baptizing her again???" During the second dunk, I watched both her and the two baptismal police to see what they were looking for. Sure enough, when the brother dipped her again, one of her feet popped out a little bit from the water when she went backwards. One of the policing bro's shook his head and said something to the bro and the sis in the pool and motioned that she needed to keep her ENTIRE body submerged. On the third time, she was completely submerged. The bro's and sisters watching all applauded louder for her than the rest of them.

Ever since that assembly, I now take a stroll down to the pool to watch the baptismal police do their thing. I have only seen two other occasions where folks had to be dunked twice because of a foot or a knee protruding from the waters surface. It really is a joke to see those brothers in action. They must feel VERY important to judge whether or not someone will completely "wash away" their sins based on a very small body part popping out of the water. So much for the "symbolism" of the event. What would happen if you went and told your local elder body that when you were baptized you remember your feet coming out of the water and you have the pictures/video to prove it? What would they do? Make you get rebaptized? That would make an excellent excuse to walk away from the org without being shunned.

Hmmmm, could this be a loophole that many could use to get out? If at the time of baptism you are required to be completely immersed(why else would those bro's be watching to make sure you were dunked all the way, and if you were not, do it again) and let's say you have proof that you did not go under all the way(video, photo sequence), what is the society's take on this??? This might require a letter to the service desk..................

• shera
    shera

Yes,my daughters grandmother.She was baptized twice.She was doing something that she shouldn't of been doing,so she really wasn't baptized in God's eyes.So she was baptized around 2 yrs ago again.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Based on this excerpt from the '62 WT a person should simply claim that "I did not make a dedication of my life to Jeh. prior to baptism, and I got baptised in order to : choose one of the following : please my parents; without proper understanding ; emotional factors", then according to the WT that baptism is invalid. Therefore no shunning/penalties should be applied.

But if one submitted to baptism mainly because of emotional factors and without proper understanding, or in order to please ones parents or others, and if this baptism did not symbolize a prior dedication to do Jehovahs will, it would be proper to be baptized again.

Pope

• shera
    shera

Well ,I guess that make me unbaptized,I changed my mind before I took the dip,but I went ahead and done it for acception reasons.Like I have already said enough by now ...I constanly doubted the religion.

• Kudos
    Kudos

I was eight months pregnant when they baptised me ... they were very very careful to do it right because I was so small but my tummy was huge ... I felt funny and a little embarrassed ... The brother made sure my feet were planted ... had me bend my legs so my feet were behind me and said '' just lean back and I promise to pull you back up' ... he did ... I didn't want to be double dipped ..

I've never seen the 'baptismal police' but I know that most of the brothers that do the dunking are taught to be very careful and to get every bit ... even the hair under the water.

Nothing wrong with it ....

I don't believe in being baptised twice or at a young age.

If you are baptised because you want to dedicate your life to God ... should it be invalid if you go to another religion?? Or if you just decide to dedicate your life to God on your own by reading the bible and living the way he asks us to live??

I don't know ... but as my children and I don't go to church ... when my daughter wants to be baptised ... I was thinking about doing it myself ... is there anything wrong in that? Just wondering ...

M

• fairy
    fairy

"i would have thought by now they'd have everyone who was baptised pre 1985 rebaptised under the new questions for total control."

Pleasuredome, i was wondering where this date of 1985" comes into it? please explain....

fairy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit