Can't help but scratch my head...

by Lee Elder 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

...when I read some of the posts in this forum these days. The founding fathers had it right when
    they setup an electoral college and opted for a republic. As the walls of the Tower crumble expect
    to see more (not less) lunacy from those fleeing. Ray Franz is absolutely correct when expressing
    his concern that former Jehovah's Witnesses not exchange one set of extreme views for another -
    that is what many do. Religion should bring out the best in people but sadly brings out the worst
    all too often.

Lee

• Amazing
    Amazing

Amen. I am seeing some of my own worst sides ... and wonder just how much this religion has warped my own sensibilities. Thanks, Lee.

• minimus
    minimus

Good post, Lee. Maybe the end result will be good. I hope.

• DJ
    DJ

I agree Lee. It is heartwrenching to see the baby thrown out with the bath water, so to speak. Unfortunately that it too often the case when deceit and extremism along with a helping teaspoon if self-righteousness is fed to a naive soul. A lot of the times it only causes a total rebellion to anything having to do with true righteousness that comes from Christ alone.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Yeah, "The more things change, the more they remain the same".

Guest 77

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

Me too, Lee! One of the things I love most about my life today is that I no longer feel the need to conform totally to a system of beliefs and standards, with which I may not totally agree, nor do I feel compelled to voice a protest to every issue with which I may not be in total agreement. I have a little sign behind my desk at work which reads, Dont assume I believe you or agree with you, simply because I dont argue with you!

Religion should bring out the best in people but sadly brings out the worst all too often.

Amen! There seems to be this inherent need in so many people, to systematize the principles and beliefs, which they personally have embraced, into a religion. In doing so, they set down moral boundaries and begin to define right and wrong, good and evil, for themselves and others, based on whether a belief or action, or an individual, falls within the parameters or this little system of beliefs, this religion they have created.

If one has a strong conviction, fine, proclaim it! If one has an objection, fine, voice it! But dont presume to know the heart and conscience of another individual, simply because he or she may not offer the support you would like them to!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Good to hear from you Lee,

It has been a shark frenzy. Good people have been pulled into the water and eaten alive. I have not seen so much needless harm done since my last judicial commit.

I have been scratching my head so much I'm making myself bald.

Jst2laws

Edited by - Jst2laws on 29 October 2002 7:37:7

• og
    og
    Religion should bring out the best in people but sadly brings out the worst
    all too often.

Maybe that's because religion is a snare and a racket.

A lot of the times it only causes a total rebellion to anything having to do with true righteousness that comes from Christ alone.

This is a bigoted, ignorant statement. Try pulling your head out of your self-righteous rear end and you'll recognize that many other ways of belief are at least as valid as the various forms of Christianity.

But dont presume to know the heart and conscience of another individual, simply because he or she may not offer the support you would like them to!

Amen.

• metatron
    metatron

Good post, Lee
    Some folks need to work on their personalities so they lose their attraction to the extremes. Likewise, love and compassion -
    qualities minimized by years of ingrained Watchtowerism.

metatron

• DJ
    DJ
    This is a bigoted, ignorant statement. Try pulling your head out of your self-righteous rear end and you'll recognize that many other ways of belief are at least as valid as the various forms of Christianity.

Dear Og,

That was rude and uncalled for. You took a sentence from a paragraph and twisted the context to use it to your own conclusion. That's very jwish. I can only come to the conclusion that you are not a Christian because my statement with regard to whose righteousness matters is the essence of Christianity. Do you actually still believe that you or anyone else could possible be good enough to earn your salvation? You've got to be kidding. It is the furthest thing from self-righteousness to accept this truth. Dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit