confused, scared..you name it

by Cyre 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cyre
    Cyre

hi there..im new to the board. I am a Coptic Orthodox Christian right now, and I am good friends with a Witness. Unfortunately, i didnt know enough about my own religion before i started listening to my friend and I am starting to question my faith. Everything my friend is teaching me, he has backed up with scripture. What scares me the most is what will happen when i tell my parents that i am considering converting. I know it will be a long way even before i can be baptized, but if what im learning is right, then i think i am willing to wait. its so hard trying to give up the worldly things, and i was hoping i could make some friends on here who might support me and help me out. I have yet to go to a Kingdom Hall, but am planning on it soon enough. I am in a bad place right now trying to decide on what to do, so if anyone has any advice or scripture they can give to me i would be so grateful. Hope to hear from some of you, soon!

Diana

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Follow your heart and mind. Don't let the JW's tear you from your family and friends. This is what they will try to do.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hi Diana,

Why are you thinking of being baptized if you have never been to a kingdom hall? I would suggest that you take your time to make this decision. Especially since it will be a painful one for your family. I am not suggesting that you do not join the JWs, I am only suggesting that you take the time to thoroughly research them. You should be aware of all the personal liberties that you will lose once you become a member.

I have a couple of questions for you: Is this JW fellow a sweetheart? Could your feelings for him be overpowering your feelings for your religion?

If, after serious consideration and research, you do decide to go ahead and convert, don't worry. One of my family members just converted to Orthodoxy. It all evens out. LOL

Love,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 28 October 2002 21:23:46

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You already know that you are in a bad emotional position. Don't do anything drastic.

Once you are Baptized, you will be subject to harsh shunning, and required to shun - even your own family. They may not call it shunning, but they will call your family "bad association".

Family is family. Never forget that.

Please dont hurt your family like my family hurt me.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 28 October 2002 21:29:3

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hi Cyre,

Most of us on this board are either people who were born into the JW faith, or, like you, were introduced as adults. The vast majority now regret ever having accepted it as "the truth" as we have seen that it is no such thing (it may have some elements of truth), and can be very hurtful.

Cyre, I just want to point out a logical way to reason on something you said. You said:

i didnt know enough about my own religion before i started listening to my friend and I am starting to question my faith. Everything my friend is teaching me, he has backed up with scripture.

Think about this, if you aren't ready to give a good critique of your own religion (because you don't know enough about it), please don't be too quick to accept uncritically what this person is telling you, both about your old religion, and the JW religion. I was a firm believer in the JW religion for many years.... but the truth is, I hadn't ever givin any honest criticism; I simply accepted it was "the truth" based on a very one sided examination of the scriptures used to support it.

Also, consider this; just because someone shows you that your religion has elements that are not true, does not mean that the religion they are trying to point you to is "the truth". (in fact, I'm to the point were if anyone tells me they have "the truth" about God, I know that they are not a truly honest, reasonable thinker). Remember, your old religion and this new religion, are not the only choices for you life that are on your plate. It is not an either/or dilema facing you, although I'm sure this JW tends to make it seem so.

Feel free to ask me anything about my past experience and knowledge about this.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Here is a link that will give you several more links about what JW's believe. Read the information on each of those sites before you take the baptismal plunge into the JW religion.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5385/Links1.html

NewLight2

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Cyre-

Good luck to you. I hope you are happy with the choices that you make. I married into a Jehovah Witness family. I refused to convert then. I stand up to them now.. My wife was Df'ed days before our wedding for refusing to submit to an elder interview (hanging) before we got married. As a result no one from her family came to the wedding. She walked down to me and gave herself away because there was no one else, and she would not let my father do it. This is the real church, this is what they are really about.

I know Iwasyoungonce....About them.

I am just now begining to understand just how bad it is, That is after being amongst them for 10 years.

Jayson

• jurs
    jurs

cyre,

Welcome ! I started studying with witnesses when I was in my early 20's. I too was impressed how they backed everything with scripture. After a few years of studying I got baptized. I completely believed it was the truth. It took a number of years before I started to see that scriptures could be twisted to suit any belief. I saw the hypocrisy of members and elders. I noticed the identifying mark "love" was sorely lacking. I won't bore you to death with the detais, but I would like to warn you. Becoming a JW has been my biggest regret. It robbed my life as well as my kids life of so much joy. The Rules were a heavy burden. The lifestyle was stifiling. I believed it was the only way to having a relationship with God. I know now how ignorant I was. I hope you don't take that plunge. Years later you'll regret you had ! jurs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Cyre

You must have realised by now that the wts/jws back things up with literal interpretations whenever they can, and choose metaphor/symbol whenever the literal doesn't fit with them - then of course you will need "new light" every time something like carbon dating comes around.

By this hardness, people have been persuaded into many unkindnesses - such as dumping their own families, and requiring two witnesses to a rape before a child is even protected, just to name two.

Do they know scripture - not even close - not in a country mile - they have simply formulated an arrangement of text (the written code that kills), that attracts those, who you already admit, know no better - education-wise that is (that and the clean clothes) - many "know" better without ever reading a bible.

I had better add - to jws, "worldly" things are other things. But worldly is how things are done in this world - such as gaining your fair share or deserving whatever it is you have 'earnt', etc. The kingdom simply doesn't work like that. Jwism is definitely worldly - they're just not like others - nor was Jim Jones - I wasn't of his world either. M y own reading of scripture does not place the wts in a very good light - pretty dark actually.

Are you seeking some kind of "proof" (a sign) - do you need to nail Him down to lift Him up?

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 29 October 2002 1:58:43

• Navigator
    Navigator

Cyre

These people portray themselves as loving, but when my JW daughter fell in love with a man "not in the truth", none of her family except me(who never joined) would attend the wedding. Not even her own mother. Can you imagine how hurtful that was? It is a mind control cult which does not tolerate differences of opinion. Take your time. Research very carefully before you make up your mind. The JWs will insist that you cut off contact with your family who do not join with you as "bad association".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit