Band Green Day and JWs

by hardtobeme 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cangie
    Cangie
    As mentioned by Mr. Flipper, years ago this urban legend, (word for word) was connected to Earth, Wind and Fire---my favorite band. I have personally attended several EW&F concerts and have never heard them say that. The rumor supposedly referenced the "satanic magic tricks" they do as part of their act ( accomplished by technology and simple hocus-pocus showmanship), and that the act did not work if JW's and the holy spirit were in the audience.. Question: If JW's bring the holy spirit to a concert, do they have to buy an extra ticket?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Different band; same crap rumor.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Not this shit again.
  • steve2
    steve2

The mentality behind this sort of old urban myth is hilariously pathetic.

Imagine being asked to stand up if you're a JW at a concert and the "star" who asked JWs to stand up says to the handful of brothers who stand up, "Well, hello brothers, I wonder if you'd like to join me on stage to perform one of my favorite Kingdom Songs, 'From House to House'".

The "star's" request is met with a mass exodus of protesting concert-goers, including the brothers who stood up. When JWs go to concerts, the last thing they want is to be part of a religious spectacle - blending in is what it's all about.

• jws
    jws

I think I was at that concert. The Smurfs were opening for them, right? ...LOL

I heard this one as being from John Denver back when I was a kid in the 70's. Long before Green Day (which I've seen as a non-JW in their earlier days after they just got big).

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

This happened to friend of a friend of mine.😉

There was a brother see, and he went up to the platform to give a talk and before he started asked if there were any Green Day, John Denver, smurf, Led Zeppelin or Liberace fans in the audience coz he could not continue if they were there as it would impede the flow of holy sprirt. So a goth, a cowboy, a small child, a hippy, and a little old lady walked out in tears, to the boo's of the ones that remained.

Then the brother gave his talk on Showing Love in this Time of the End.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I heard Ozzie Osborne ate the head right off a JW at a concert. No really it's true.
  • done4good
    done4good

JW urban legends have a way of repeating themselves in different contexts. While all urban legends have a bit of that facet, the JW type seem to repeat over and over.

I remember the Gloria Estefan, John Denver, and Don Ho nonsense from the 70s and 80s. There may have been some offhanded comment made by these folks at one time or another, (Just as Green Day made a record about losing one's faith, etc.), but clearly it amazes me that JWs don't recall the similarities of these stories. Talk about a persecution complex.

d4g

• cattails
    cattails
    I'm so sick of this rumor. It keeps going around and around, and it's like the old kids game of telephone, where something changes and you've got a different artist and a different religion being picked on. It's such a bunch of garbage.
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Found this on the SNOPES discussion board:

"The way I heard it was that Bob Denver was doing a TRIBUTE to John Denver (you know how much they looked alike, and Bob strummed a mean guitar) and one night when the crowd got all inflamed by a ragin' version of "Stairway to Rocky Mountain High," somebody threw a JW onto the stage and Bob bit his head off. He said later he thought it was a rubber JW, though."

It's funny on so many different levels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit