Band Green Day and JWs

by hardtobeme 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• steve2
    steve2

The New Zealand variant of this involved Glen Campbell asking any JWs present at his NZ concerts to stand up and then ordering them to leave. This was doing the rounds of JW gossip mills in the 1970s. Even at the time I kept hearing this, I wondered why I never actually net a Witness to whom this had happened - and the media never reported it. Then I heard John Denver had done this in the States.

Let's face it: it is a flimsy accusation and would immediately have caused a public outcry - NZ has long been an advocate of human rights, and if any visiting "superstar" had ever discriminated against a named religious group, members of the audience would have protested at the blatant discrimination.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    It reinforces the fact they they believe they are "special" in God's eyes and are special targets of Satan's wrath.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You really aren't with God unless your persecuted, this influences JWS to look out for persecution for reconfirmation of who they actually are suppose to be.

No persecution , equates with not being with God

• done4good
    done4good

The story is true. Green Day went on to write an album about the JW's.

It started when an elder called on Billie Joe at home, prompting "American Idiot"
    Then he heard about all of the failed prophecies - "Boulevard of broken dreams".
    He read Fred Franz Bible chronology - "Wake me up when September ends".
    Finally saw some trolley witnesses - "Jesus of Suburbia".

Prior to all this it's rumoured that Greenday met Stephen Lett - "Basket case".

WOW! If that is true, it is the coolest thing ever....That album was played often and loud when I left the JWs! Yes, I took the same losing one's faith message from it.

d4g

• done4good
    done4good

To edit, I still doubt it much, (it is just too much like other JW urban legends, and I know better), but that album in particular was very important to my exit.

d4g

• Splash
    Splash
    hardtobeme Green Day had to make an announcement: "Is there any Jehovah's witnesses here?". The two brothers stood up. Then they continue to say:"We cannot start playing until those two are gone". And they had to leave the concert.

What that person didn't tell you was what Green Day said next.

"I would throw you out myself, but for those two big guys you have stood with you...."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Heard that about: John Denver / Pearl Jam / Green Day / Gloria Estafan and on and on and on..

Add Hawaiian Entertainer "Don Ho".....Which is odd..

He had JW`s on his staff..

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Eels did write a song about Jehovah's Witnesses once...
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    I have it on good authority that Smurfs find meetings boring and will walk out.
  • respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    Random fact: The band Zebrahead used to tour with and open for Green Day. The lead singer of Zebrahead was raised JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit