Does It Bother You Too??

by kelpie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• kelpie
    kelpie

My sister who is still a JW called me today and was talking to me about my "situation". I said to her that I am studing, doing research and trying to find my way and what I believe.

I said how mum said is pleading for me to go back to the meetings and I said to my sister that I cannot make up my OWN mind if I am at the meetings. Her reply was "The only way you can is at the meetings because that is where you get holy spirit from."

I said that at the meetings you get told you must do this or else and I need to decide what I want. She then said "arn't you scared about all that is happening??? This proves that it is all going to come true.."Does anyone else get scared and think OMG.. they were right!! I am going to die!!

• Francois
    Francois

NO, and NO.

Never croses my mind. What you are experiencing is what happens when someone from your JW past presses an old JW button and the back EMF in the synapses plays pieces of an old tape through your corpus collosum which agitates the hammer, anvil, and stirrup which are directly connected to the cerebral cortex causing you to have a fleeting doubt. This is technically known as a "brain fart" and will go away if you don't feed it, you know - like a stray cat. It's like a mirage on the desert, it ain't real.

Don't give it another thought, m'love and you'll be just fine.

francois

• onacruse
    onacruse

No, I don't worry about it at all. I live my life the best way I can showing love for God, for all people, and for all life. If that's not good enough, then it's not good enough.

Craig

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Priceless Frankie ole' boy, totally priceless!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hello Kelpie:

Sometimes it's good to step back and ask a few direct questions about phrases like:

"arn't you scared about all that is happening??? This proves that it is all going to come true.."

Such as:

• exactly what is "all that is happening"?
    • are those things unique to now, or have they always happened?
    • exactly what is "it is all" that is going to come true?
    • exactly how does "all that is happening" prove this?
    • are other religions and sects saying similar things?
    • if so, does "all that is happening" prove those other sects right?
    • if it doesn't, why would it prove the Watchtower correct?
    • has the Watchtower ever been correct on these types of predictions before?

You can probably think of other questions like this.

In a nutshell: read, read, read! The more you know about how totally out-to-lunch the Watchtower's grasp of history and science and current affairs is, the more you know about their completey dismal record of getting stuff like this wrong, the less you will be troubled by emotional triggers.

Knowledge is power over yourself.

Expatbrit

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi Kelpie, how you doing??

No I don't get scared when I see the world events in a distressed state. I have been waiting for Armageddon to come since I was born. Everything bad that would happen, every tremor on the earth, every cry of peace and security, it was all meant to be signs of the last days, critical times hard to deal with etc - Baloney!!

I decided a few years ago that I wasn't going to live my life waiting when I didn't believe it anyway...and if this life is ALL we get, then I'm gonna do it my way from now on...not their way.

If I were you Kelpie, I would try and avoid making any firm statements or announcing a decision regarding your JW position...it would be kinder on you and your family if you just faded away and avoided the topic. It hurts them to think that you could have apostate tendancies, it hurts them to think you don't believe. The elders will also use your stand to justify the shunning rule....you become not only bad association, but you will be regarded as someone practicing the most unforgiveable sin. Its best not to go there, if you can avoid it, and to keep the communication channels open between yourself and your family.

~Beck~

Edited by - Beck_Melbourne on 23 October 2002 22:43:38

• kelpie
    kelpie

Thanks Beck

I am doing Ok. I have my cousin's funeral to attend tomorrow and my mother rang me up to say that she will be thinking of me.

To keep her in the right frame of mind I asked her if my cousin would get a resurection. She said of "course she would. her wages have been paid. Wouldnt it be nice if you were the one to welcome her back and study with her in the paradise"

I kinda just agreed with her to keep the peace. this is such a struggle!! My emotions are getting pulled in two different directions. Some days I feel like I am just going to crack in half (that would be good for the figure tho).

I so don't want to lose my family but I know that they will make that decision to stop talking to me...

Sorry for whinging

giggs aka Kelpie

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

I do get scared sometimes, but in all honesty are the Jdubs right? NOT!

• Prisca
    Prisca

(((Kelpie)))

My sis is a staunch JW too, and has tried talking to me like yours did to you, but it has only ended up in arguements. For the sake of peace, we don't talk about the JWs anymore. I suspect she may have a few doubts about things too, but is afraid to say them. But she still faithfully goes to the meetings and out witnessing because she firmly believes this is "the truth".

When they do try to talk to you about JW stuff, just tactfully change the subject to something neutral that you can both peacefully talk about. Try to keep your contact with your family, don't cut them off just because they are JWs. But I have a feeling you wouldn't do that anyway.

Hang in there lovey, you know you can email me or Beck if you need anything!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Hey Kelpie,

I like your name, first of all.

I was diffed two years ago, and I spent a long time in despair. But guess what. Once the grieving over losing your entire social structure passes, then you can build an exciting new life! It's fun! and it's what god wants you to do!

What you need to do is pray. Read about the history of this super-cult, and how they have always scared their followers and kept them at a fever pitch through predictions which never came true, or vaguely threatening statements like, "The vultures are coming, the vultures are coming." This site is a great place to study.

Eventually, you will find God, however he reveals himself to you, and you will realize that these JW's are the most misled, self-loathing, pitiable people on earth. Next to white liberals, of course.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit