Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My idea of celebrating has really nothing to do with costumes or trick-or-treating.....It's all about the candy, especially the M&M's.

• waiting
    waiting

My kids used to sneak Halloween candy from school into the house. I used to keep a lot of candy around the house this time of year just so the kids wouldn't miss out entirely. Yeah, I know - unhealthy and all that..........but we sure did enjoy that candy

I don't think any of them have done anything about Halloween since leaving - but they have no kids yet.

Our house sits way back from the street - so no one ever came to visit anyway. I never had to turn kids away. But when in Indiana, I did. I felt like scum too. Their parents were always very nice about it as I was soooooo overly apologetic - and it was obvious that I felt like scum.

waiting

• butalbee
    butalbee

Yes, I will. I bought a lot of candy to give to the kiddies who knock at my door. They all look so cute dressed up. I just hope the weather isn't as nasty as it has been here lately.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Last year my youngest daughter wanted to celebrate Halloween for the first time, and be dressed up like a Barbie Doll with her 2 girlfriends from school. Initially, even though I didn't want to force my ambilvalence on her, I told her she could celebrate it. I, though was a little uncomfortable about it. I kept thinking of the JW teachings of the evilness of it, and the scariness of it. It was right after 911. Well, I talked about these feelings with a my therapist, and had previously brought in all of the cut out pictures of the pulblications showing people, women and children and puppies being destroyed, buildings falling over, and churches burning, wild beasts with big claws and teeth etc. When we discussed how violent, and evil, and scary these pictures must have been to my children growing up, and how ungodly they really were, my therapist then posed a question to me. Which is more scary and even demonic? Those pictured teachings or the face of a little child dressed as a ballerina at my door asking for candy. I had my answer, that Halloween I happily filled a bowl full of candy, to give to the little trick or treaters, and took pictures of my daughter in her Barbie Costume with her girlfriends. My older daughter came over and helped give out candy and we sipped hot apple cider and enjoyed the smells of pumpkin spice candles. The next afternoon, 2 little boys rang the bell dressed in costumes. They were about 7 years old. I told them they were a day late. They said they knew, but wanted to go trick or treating for candy since they missed Halloween because they had done some community service with the elderly. I happily gave them some candy and money for UNICEF. I am so looking forward to seeing trick or treaters at my door and sooooooo very happy I don't have to look at pictures of beasts and dragons and people getting murdered by God anymore.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Nope, but I'd like to dress up and go to a halloween party. Anyone having one!!!

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hell yes!

The wtbs had it all wrong anyway-just to make us feel even more freakish than we already were!

The festival was just a festival of life and death, by the Celts, who were trying to make sense of the world they lived in, well before the idea of 'one God' entered the thoughts of men.

It was then appropriated by the Romans and turned into a festival (Is'nt it strange now to think how that word scared us?!)??!!) and a festival is only a celebration ;of the harvest, which is quite nice if you think about it !

It was only hundreds of years later that it became known as All Saints' Day; when the poor would trawl the streets for 'Soul Cakes'; probably as they were a bit peckish ; just a fruit pastry in return for prayers; sounds more like a scam to me...

My children will be going out with a group of 7, for the first time EVER tomorrow, they've spent all week making their costumes- and i've spend all day making toffee apples and sweets .

whatever it 'used' to be to us , it's now FUN ,and if they want to do it( even my 15 year old is going ) they can .

They only call on family friends or eachother's houses.They had years of me denying them fun with the lame excuse that it's pagan and therefore banned ; we're all looking forward to it-

I've carved a pumpkin and put it outside so that the neighbours' kids can see they'll get a result this year !

Edited to say we're also having a Bonfire party this year and have been invited to two more in the same week- I'm just so happy , and amazed , to be able to make so many new friends who are so kind to me ;I don't bother to pick these celebrations apart anymore- I just get on with having fun with the people I love.

Edited by - termite 35 on 30 October 2002 19:30:35

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit