Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'm going as a JW. Knock knock. Trick or treat.

CZAR

• barry
    barry

Its not big here in Australia and it sounds spooky Barry

• shera
    shera

Nancee park,

Thanks for that post

• Xander
    Xander

CHRISTIAN, NOT PAGAN, ORIGINS FOR HALLOWEEN

This heading is a misnomer. The origins of it are pagan. That the current celebration has more in common with the christian bastardization of the original sabbat than the pagan celebration of it is irrelevant to the JWs. Their official position is that the fault of the origins of it taint any resulting possible value.

In any case, christian revisionists continue to annoy me by claiming they can celebrate many holidays because they have christian meanings. How nice for them. Just don't go into all kinds of denial about their origins or re-writting history.

Here's a quick hint: if your holiday happens to fall on a solstice, equinox, or 'cross quarter day' every year.....it's origins are probably pre-christian.

• Beans
    Beans

I will be going to the Kingdom Hall with my costume on, then I will be whisked away by a witch!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

When I was a kid my parents always dressed me up as a 'Jehovah's Witness' on Halloween and NO ONE WOULD COME TO THE DOOR!

So, I'm not going to celebrate, too many bad memories!

Outaservice (buying his own candy now)

• minimus
    minimus

I may be in Greenwich Village to see all the freaks!

• Jade
    Jade

Difnitely will celebrate. All those years of having to go to the library during school parties, I feel like I missed out. My son says he's too old to dress up so my English Bulldog will be a killer-bee this year.

• gumby
    gumby

No. My wife is a dub and out of respect for her I don't. If I were single I would probably have some friends over and party a bit. I would pass out candy and have a pumpkin. It's fun stuff for the kids. People who want to drag up old shit from centuries ago and tell everyone how wrong it is is missing the point of how kids see it......just fun.

I've never known a kid that wanted to get into witchcraft, or consult the dead as a direct result of celebrating Halloween. Everyone's feelings are different.....these are only mine.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Well, since I have to DJ the Halloween Go-go-Rama @ the titty bar, I think I will don a costume, although I dont quite know just what I want to go as.

Boozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit