Do you still call on God, by the name Jehovah?

by LyinEyes 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LB
    LB

No I never do. It's obvious that Jehovah isn't anyone's name. Well there's a George Jehovah that lives in Medford but he's not God.

My prayers are seldom said these days.

• blondie
    blondie

minimus, if they have, they haven't said anything. What would they say, "Sister Blondie, we noticed that you are only using Jehovah's name occasionally. We have decided to convene a JC to look into this."

Based on the answers at the KH, Jehovah's name is not said unless it is in the paragraph they are reading out loud. Bible verses are read or referred to even less.

I can remember a visiting speaker that gave the closing prayer and said "Jehovah" 20 times in the prayer. That was bizarre. I saw 2 elders zoom over to him right after he stepped off the platform. I wonder if they told him he was only allowed to say Jehovah once per 60 seconds of prayer.

Now if I used Yahweh like I do at home, I'm sure they would try to get me in the back room.

Blondie

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I've tried every God from the sublime to the ridiculous but none of 'em do nuth'n .. watch this:

Hey Jehovah get your arse down here and clean up this mess at once! ... see no sense no feeling.

unclebruce daring the Gods to answer him back!

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Hey Minimus,

Can you stop your damn m&m's from dancing!!! I was trying to read blondies coments up the page, and was so distracted by the little red devils.......I gave up.

BearAss annoyed.

• onacruse
    onacruse

When I pray (now not all that often) I pray to Jesus. So far as I know, he was a human, and knows us better than anybody. I want to talk to someone who has been there, done that.

Hell, for all I know, I'm praying to myself!

So what...it makes me feel better.

Craig (of the still on-a-cruse through life class)

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I don't pray anymore. Haven't for a couple of years. I'm not sure there is a god up there to pray to, and even when I was a JW, I never felt like anyone was listening. I certainly never got any answers.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Oh yes, Lyin.......I still use the name Jehovah. My Higher Power has not changed. Using God's name when I pray is very comforting to me. I prayed as a child and used His name-I pray as an adult and still do the same.

I feel that I was slighted by the Jehovah Witnesses......not Jehovah Himself. I have a very strong faith in God......just not in religions anymore.

My spirituality is very important in my life. Without it, I feel "off course".

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi

I still call on God, but I do not call God Jehovah.

In my mind it comes down to this: "Jehovah" is the god of the jews as outlined in the bible. I do not accept the bible anymore for many reasons, one of which being that its writing appears to have been influenced by pagan religions yet twisted into a patriarchal control tool. (deep breath...) So therefore I see no need to call God Jehovah.

God to me is a power that we cannot begin to imagine. Most religious writings touch on God in some way, yet none can portray God's real essence. Due to mankinds inability to actually *grasp* what God is, we tend to put God into a category or two so that we can understand God better. E.g. many put God into a "male" category, despite the fact that God has no sexuality that we know of. Some say God is both male and female, some say God is neither. I do not personally believe that any of these interpretations are wrong, they are simply the only way we can imagine God.

So in answer to your question, I think that it does not matter what actual name we give God or how we imagine him/her. If we pray for healing, we are appealing to the compassionate, healing nature of God. If we pray for justice, we look to Gods justice to carry out our wish. Pagans put names to these aspects of God and many people vehemently oppose this practice. However, I personally think that if I call on Jehovah, Diana, Pan, Isis, whoever....I am simply talking to different aspects of God.

Sirona

• gumby
    gumby

For me it depends on the circumstance.

Around my wife or another dub I do.....it makes THEM feel better.....

I have a lot of doubts about the bible god. Whoever made us.... I call father. Even Jesus called him father and told us to call him that. He said ...'you must pray this way' "our father."..blah blah.........

WERE HIS NAME THAT IMPORTANT ...HE WOULD HAVE TOLD US HOW TO SAY IT.

I remember a while back when visiting my mom and we were going to eat I asked my mom if I could pray. She said "yes hun....if you'll use Jehovah's name." I had no problem with that.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Dede,

I went thru a very rough time with this issue a few years ago. I was really stuck. I even hit a point when I stopped praying completly because I didn't know what name to use to begin my prayers! I was a mess, to put it mildly. One day, my husband and I went to a "church" yikes.....my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding out of my chest. When I saw a cross behind the podium, I felt sick to my stomach with fear. I thought that the people were probably deceived by satan and they were probably worshipping him without even knowing it. I wanted so desperately to know God. I knew that the jw's were wrong but I still had many issues to deal with. Then......they started to sing.............(they sang beatifully, by the way, very strong and full of harmony, unbelievably great) The song that they sang was called, "Jehovah Shalom. Lord of Peace"

I was so shocked! I was taught that the jw's has sort of like a 'patent' on this name or something LOL I mean, how on earth could these people sing this beautifully from their hearts....hands lifted up to the heavens, eyes closed and everything....how on earth could THEY be singing to Jehovah??? Hmmm, this had a n impact om me but I still had a hard time!! I even thought to myself, 'Well, satan would appear as an angel of light and maybe they really were deceived and NOW they were trying to suck me in too!' I was half off my rocker!!

Later, we went to another church and I heard the preacher use the name, "Jehovah". I tucked this into my memory too. Then on the radio, I heard John MacArthur use the name as well> Then another guy, etc. Slowly this all began to sink in. I was praying again but I still had fear that I could actually call on the wrong God if I didn't use his name. To tell you the truth, I did not want to use the name Jehovah.......it made me think of the jw's and it served as sort of a trigger word for me. I wanted to have a relationship with God without feeling the fears that came with the jw's. It took a few years for me to sort thru this.....My family is big on the name thing. They use the name atleast once.......in every paragraph. So, you can see where I got so stuck on this....it was virtually drilled into me from a child.

Well. Dede, sorry this is rambling so to make a long story short......., I have finally come to a place where I feel ok if the name Jehovah is used but I prefer, Father. The day I called out , "Abba, Father" was the turning point for me. When I read that in Romans....I began to sob like a baby. God is my Father and I feel good about calling on him this way. It is sad to think that there was a time when I thought that the devil would answer my prayers if I just said, Father. Man.....what a number was done to my head!

I must say, Dede that it took me much longer to admit in prayer that I was confused than it took you. That is wonderful for you!! You are blessed to be able to confess your confusion to God because He has the answers that you need. I am actually embarrassed now when I think back to my pride and how it caused me not to tell my creator of my confusion. Like He didn't know, already! LOL i thought that I needed to be all-knowing before I could pray properly. I had it so backwards!

I have to tell you that when I read your posts, I always relate to you. You remind me a lot of myself. Your heart is seeking and you will find peace. I have been healed from much pain and sorrow. I don't post all of my experiences here because some things are just to personal for me. I do know for sure in my heart of hearts, Dede that you will receive all of the answers that you desire and peace and joy will reign in your heart and life one day soon. I wish you much love. Dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit