What sold you on the JW faith?

by MYOHNSEPH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• jurs
    jurs

I came in through the door to door work. I was in my early 20"s. It wasn't just one thing that sold me but rather the timing was right. I was looking for a relationship with God. It was also the persistance on the pioneer sister's part. I didn't just believe everything right away, it took years!!!! It was also because I was ignorant to the bible. When they showed me a scripture to back up their beliefs I had no knowledge to argue or counter with a different scripture. I was also attracted very much to belonging to "family" spiritually speaking. I wanted the older ones to be like grandparents to my kids , that "love" that identifies the true org. I also agreed with the "no trinity" . It slowly happened . jurs

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Welcome MYOHNSEPH

No trinity, no hellfire, paradise, AND NEVER DYING.

what a let down

Dismembered

Edited by - Dismembered on 20 October 2002 19:57:24

Edited by - Dismembered on 20 October 2002 19:58:32

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

Dismembered,

Sounded like one hell of deal, didn't it!? Of course, as they say, the Devil's in the details!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I hated people, and JW's were nice to me, and said that Jahoover was going to kill all the bad people - very soon(tm). I was all for that.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I am exempt from this question technically cuz I was born into it. However when I was five I was pretty sure having a tiger made this the religion for me. When I got older it was the religion for me because it made my parents happy. I went out in service because it made them happy. I pretended to want to get baptized and to study and give talks because it made them happy.

Frankly, aside from when I was five and wanted a tiger, i don't think I ever really bought into it...

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

My father's leather belt, our horses bridles, rusty hedge clippers to cut my worldly, parted in the middle hair, and whatever else he could employ to keep Satan's thoughts out of my mind, including on one occasion the moulding from our vintage house ripped off a doorway to inflict a lasting memory upon my legs and back. Sure made ME want to pioneer!

Edited by - DebraDoll on 20 October 2002 22:51:10

• KD
    KD

Hello Myohnseph, welcome to the board. It's quite funny actually. It started in my junior year of high school. My best friend and I had a class that was taught by a JW. We found that during class if we asked about the bible, he would stop teaching and answer our questions for the rest of the period. My friend and I were both interested in the bible and were both searching. One day I asked my friend if he would like to look into the JW religion. He laughed and said "Can you imagine us going door to door". Sometime later I approached the teacher after school and told him that I wanted to learn more of his religion. He invited me to his home that night. I arrived that evening on a cold February night. I got out of my vehicle and in the distance I heard another vehicle. To my surprise it was my friend! He had started studying the week before.

The rest is history. I lasted about 4 years before going apostate. My friend became a pioneer soon after high school. 21 years had passed since I saw my friend because of the shunning I lost track of him and several other people I was close to. This passed Summer my old friend tracked me down on the internet and we met again after all those years. The thing was, was that it was a sheparding call because he was now an Elder. Well I guess I will wait another 21 years before I see him again.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

((((DebraDoll))))

My grandparents were witnesses, my parents were witnesses and so I was a witness. I did not have a choice in the matter at all.

• LB
    LB

I was very unhealthy at the time, fat and very depressed. Life seemed more hopeless every day. We moved and didn't know anyone in our area. They seemed to be the only friendly people around here. They got me at a good time.

But I got rid of them at a good time too.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards Myohnseph...

I too am 60 years old.Married to an inactive JW . We have been maried since 1958 so we married quite young. Have 3 children..6 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild!

Hubby is an inactive JW . He talks like the JW religion and 'Jehovah" are the only way. He really believes it to be the truth. Even tho he hardly ever goes to the meetings.I later became a witness for 15 years and ended up dissasociating myself long ago. I never could believe what they taught.

We have been married for 44 years!. We also just found out Hubby is in stage four of Cancer. When you discribed your life with your wife..That's how we are. Except he is not at all tolerant of other religions. He wouldn't even go to his daughter's wedding in a church!.

Some of the laison committee came to see him in the hospital. Wanted to help him in case blood transfusion came up!..

Can you believe since he has been out of the hospital ..not one witness has been to see him?(Other than his Mom and his Sister )No phone calls! It has been over a month. They were Johnny on the spot defending his view on the blood issue..telling him which Doctor's to go to..and then they just dissapeared!..

I really feel sorry for him!...His work buddies have called and not one JW has called. But he will defend them to the end! He even pushed himself to go to some of the meetings. He is getting tired now , so he has quit going .

Anyway..glad to see a Senior" among us. ..Welcome aboard!

Golden Girl...aka...Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit