What sold you on the JW faith?

by MYOHNSEPH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

I havent posted much here, but Ive read a lot for about six months now. Although most everyone here appears to have had some degree of affiliation with the JW organization, the individual posters seem to be from pretty diverse backgrounds. Im really curious about something. I was raised as a JW from birth, so Im sure I dont have the same perspective as those of you who became a JW later in life. For those of you who became JWs after you were old enough to make your own decisions, what was it that sold you on the JW faith? Becoming a JW can have a pretty radical impact on family and friends and one's way of life in general. So what was it that convinced you it was all worth it?

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Living forever in perfection in paradise and never growing old.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Raised in it, from age 4 to 50, when I learned the real truth. I respected my parents and thought they would know the truth. Why is beyond me. They were eccentric people, to say the least. Still are.

I have to admit that in my teens, I proved it to myself.................in a manner of speaking. From then on, I was convinced it was true, until I read a few things and finally listened to my husband and his friends (all elders) who were learning some "interesting" things.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Raised in it here too (0-48) [Mulan, beat ya by 2 years hahaha ]

What sold me on it, after the first 20 years, was to be with my family, and thinking that somehow the WTS would change.

Craig

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Hi and welcome MYOHNSEPH!

What sold me was I had no choice..and I was special. I Didn't have to ever achieve anything more than full time service to get everlasting life and any house I wanted in the New System.

It all changed when I did go to school, and have to learn how to support myself.waiting for the end.....

I just read your profile and your posts so far, this one I loved,

MYOHNSEPH
    Re: Loyalty to the truthOct 19, 2002 09:52

Since: Sep 2, 2002
    Ive often heard or read comments regarding loyalty to Jehovahs organization and, sometimes in the same context, keeping our integrity. It strikes me that these words are often used as if they were interchangeable, but they are quite different. Loyalty has to do with faithfulness or allegiance to a person, government, organization or other entity. However, that entity may, or may not, be morally upright and just and worthy of a Christians loyalty. History is filled with accounts of loyalty, from Christian martyrs to the cohorts of Hitler. Loyalty to both just and unjust entities or causes is quite common. Integrity, on the other hand, is a little harder to find. Integrity has more to do with the quality or state of being of sound moral principle; uprightness, honesty, and sincerity and being unimpaired in such. The fact is, integrity will not be compromised by misplaced loyalty. A person of integrity will be loyal to truth, but not necessarily to the truth. Integrity will not allow one to accept that which is obviously contrary to truth, decency or common sense, just because it bears the label of someone or something to which we may have tried to lay claim to ones loyalty. To compromise ones Christian integrity through misplaced loyalty, to anyone or anything, is inexcusable.

I was raised a witness, my questions started when my daughter was df'd at 17, I shunned her for a few years and was applauded by the congregation, but a piece of me was missing. I absolutely couldn't view her as dead. Good for you and what you did for your children.

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

Thanks for the kind words, notperfectyet. Sometimes things look a lot different when they're sitting on our own doorstep, instead our neighbors.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Purely selfish reasons - I was taken in by the whole prophecy thing and feared a smouldering rock with my name written on it. I quickly marched towards baptism and came out the other side confused - what had I actually joined the freak club for ? Somewhere down the line my own life mattered less and my sanity more.

• shera
    shera

The living forever thing and the fear of not knowing anything at all,if I died during armageddon.I also lost my father at 14 and I was hoping he would be ressurected and I was so happy because they didn't teach hellfire..I was sure before hand my dad was in hell .

I wasn't rasied a JW,started studing at 17,off and on.Until I became more serious around 20 and became baptized at 22,in 1992.I also left in 1992

• mevirginia
    mevirginia
    what was it that sold you on the JW faith?

I was born and raised in the truth but I had many friends that became dubs when they were adults. I had one friend in particular that had a sole reason for becoming a dub and it was the clincher for her. She was undecided right up until she discovered a scripture pointed out to her by her bible study. That if she took the plunge and remained faithful and turned in her time card, Jehovah would reward her with her every hearts desire. Her biggest desire is to be the most beautiful woman in the world and marry Brad Pitt. LOL Of course that would mean certin death for poor Jennifer.

• Shakita
    Shakita

My husband was a jw before I. I don't have a defining moment where I said, "This is it, the TRUTH." For me it was a gradual thing. I was invited to dinners, picnics, outings, you name it, we were invited. The term is love-bombed. And, I accepted that love with open arms. "These must be Jehovah's people, this must be his organization. The people are so nice and loving. I think I will ask for a study, it can't hurt." So, I studied, liked what I heard, wanted to please Jehovah, and became part of an organization I now detest. I still care for the people who I came to know very well. But, those relationships were only based on certain conditions. Conditions made up by an organization that is only concerned with its own agenda. So many families, so many relationships destroyed by the people who run this unconscionable so-called religion.

One of many who mourn the loss of family and friends at the hands of the evil WT

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit