What sold you on the JW faith?

by MYOHNSEPH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

Golden Girl:

I am so sorry about your husband.

I wish you all the strength you need to get through this tough time with your husband. I lost both my parents to cancer last year, 6 months apart. It was very tough. My thoughts will be with you both during this very difficult time.

The JW organization judges a person based solely on their performance in numbers. When you stop being an asset to that organization by adding to the hours out in Jehovahs service, they stop seeing you as a member. I am so sorry that your husband doesn't have the help of the people he sees as "friends". Such as hard lesson to learn at a time when true friends are really needed.

Take care.

Mrs. Shakita

• dreamcatcher
    dreamcatcher

Hi,

I don't think I'm sold as yet..... I believe that the JW probably have the right idea (eg. How could any loving father, human or otherwise, subject his children to eternal damnation???????) The paradox of a God who could do this forced me to look for alternative answers, and the JW are one of them.

I am currently doing the study and like the people who come around to see me. However, it must be said that they are very intollerant of any other approach to the bible except what has been sanctioned by the Overseers. Another practise that troubles me deeply is the fact that JW's do not have any bible study where there is direct emphasis on reading the bible. It appears that they use the bible to back up the teaching of the watchtower. The best way I can describe it is this: reading the bible is like reading a beautiful piece of poetry that feeds your spirit and your faith in God, reading the watchtower is like having someone analyse the poem for you without reading it.

I also feel as if the JW's visiting me go back and report on my progress!!!! This religion seems far to controlled and dogmatic, but I will give it a fair chance.

• chester
    chester

Dreamcatcher,

I suggest you learn how the WT indoctrination process works.

This is an excerpt taken from an article on Randall watters excellent web site found at this link. I recommend that anyone interested in studying with JWs read this.

I sure wish I had this type of information when they got me.

http://www.freeminds.org/history/communityfacility.htm

Whenever an interested person hesitates to get baptized because of feeling he does not yet know the complete theology of Jehovahs Witnesses, that one is told that it is a mistake to put off baptism. After all, once one comes to know Jehovah God and accepts his son as our saviour, what else is necessary for salvation? The rest will be learned later.

From this it can be appreciated that the indoctrination program is designed to give a person sufficient knowledge of the Bible to make a commitment to join the Witness religion, with the understanding that the learning process will continue after baptism. Never is there any suggestion that questioning of doctrine will be disallowed.

The Bible study program begins with the explanations of doctrinal matters. The truth is taught and that which is not true is presented superficially ma manner that seems to be true. However, as the weeks go by, the Witness conducting the study begins to bring up the subject of the organization, explaining all the fine and commendable points about the preaching work it does, the high moral standard it follows, etc. Naturally, this leads to discussions about that group of men who are responsible for directing this fine religious organization. Over a period of time the prospective convert is encouraged to consider the Societys leaders as possibly being the faithful and discreet slave appointed by Christ.

Having been allowed and encouraged to check Watchtower teachings with the Bible until the time he comes to believe that he is being taught the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, the prospective convert logically accepts the Witness leaders as being the faithful and discreet slave.

Now we are coming to the crucial period of transition from outspoken questioner to submissive follower. Having seemed to be proven truthful, the governing body is now seen to be trustworthy. Consequently there does not need to be the same degree of scrutiny and testing as there was in the beginning, does there? Now the convert believes he is safe from deception. Surely the faithful and discreet slave would adhere unerringly to the Word of God, just as Christ himself did.

The new convert is now vulnerable to being deceived. He is not making his membership decision on the basis that he fully knows the truth of the Bible. His commitment is based on his belief that he does not have to know the truth fully because he knows who the slave class is and they know the truth. Whereas it was previously the position that one must and can identify the real faithful and discreet slave on the basis that his teachings concur with the Bible truth, now the position is changed so that one can identify what is really the truth of Gods Word the Bible because it comes from the faithful and discreet slave.

Here we discern the ambiguity and duplicity of the Watch Tower organization. They correctly teach that every inspired expression is to be tested, even if it comes from an angel, as the apostle Paul said. That is because each one is directly accountable to God for what he believes. Each one must have his own faith. Even if they were part of the faithful and discreet slave, there must be a testing of their teachings by every Jehovahs Witness. Furthermore, any deviation from Scripture is properly subject to criticism by any Jehovahs Witness member. Galatians 1:8.

No prospective convert is forewarned about this change in the rules. It is abundantly clear that had each new member been told of this change, no one would become a Jehovahs Witness. Especially would this be the case if they were also told that disagreement with the so-called faithful and discreet slave would result in disfellowshipping from the church on the charge of apostasy. Therefore, the inducement to "buy" the faithful and discreet slave and become a member of the Watchtower movement and contribute to its growth is fraud.

Used as directed, the faithful and discreet slave makes faith so much easier. It is designed to simplify the task of thinking, similar to our household appliances making our domestic tasks less demanding in terms of time and effort. Bluntly put, use of the faithful and discreet slave allows Jehovahs Witnesses to check their brains in at the door of entrance to the Watchtower movement.

Part of the reason for the success of this strategy rests with the inherent need for security that humans have. It is reassuring to have someone take charge and look after our needs. People who are totally dependent on others to do their thinking and decision-making are like children and those they depend upon are like parents.

Interestingly, the Watch Tower Society portrays itself as mother to the religious association thereby setting the context of the church in a parent/child relationship with the general membership.

Edited by - chester on 21 October 2002 10:50:54

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

Dreamcatcher,

You're not like to find a more accurate and concise description of the indoctrination process used by JWs than that just posted by Chester. Thank you Chester! And you know what's really ironic? People such as myself practiced and participated in this process for years, without a clue as to what they were really doing. Hindsight can really blow your mind!

• jurs
    jurs

Dear Dreamcatcher,

Ohhhhhh Boy, Reading your post was like watching your child make poor choices but you can't really stop them , you just hope they don't get hurt and hopefully learn a lesson. You said you think the JW's probably have the right idea. Didn't we all!

Welcome! If you haven't been discouraged from the JW's for coming here just wait................they'll tell you how bad we all are and that you shouldn't visit this sort of site. I'm just curious why you ame here and what you think about us? I don't believe forums like this existed when I first started studying. I wish they had but I really don't know if it would have mattered. Have any of the experiences or points people have made, affected you?

jurs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit