All bookstudies at the KH???

by Intuit39 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Intuit39
    Intuit39

I know of a congregation on the East Coast that is having all Bookstudies meet at the Kingdom Hall! That's right--no Bookstudies in private homes, at least for now...

Has anyone else heard of this? And what could be the reason? I'm assuming they are trying to reinforce the arrangements for Field Service.

• Valis
    Valis

Perhaps all the elders and ministerial servants got tired of having the great flock over once a week! *LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• caligirl
    caligirl

Maybe that congregation ran out of "volunteers" who were willing to have it in their homes. Or they are afraid that meeting in a private home does not afford them divine protection, such as should some catastrophic event take place the KH would be the only surviving building? Who knows. I haven't heard my parents say anything about a change, and they are in N.E.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Too many bookstudies are having "goody night" before the opening prayer, and never actually getting around to studying the dull tripe life-giving spiritual food.

The Governing Body are really quite jealous and pissed off at being upstaged by Sister Baker's exquisite devil's food cake.

Expatbrit

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I would think it's to control how the "food" is handed out. Didn't a rhodeisland cong fall out after home studying with a particular elder?

• garybuss
    garybuss

There have been reports of meetings being held in rooms with windows and one brother even thought he saw a sister looking out. Some private homes even have comfortable seating and this is not in keeping with the spirit of the preparers of the publications. One brother even was noticed loosening his necktie. Also due to the large number of publishers disfellowshipped and reproved for sins of a sexual nature, the Governing Body has noticed an appreciation by certain brothers and sisters of the fact that many private homes actually have rooms with beds installed. This certainly is not the environment fitting consideration of the latest change in core teachings.

• Mulan
    Mulan

The congregation we used to attend is having a terrible time getting people to have it in their home. No one wants the meeting for service on Saturdays, at their houses, and the regular Tuesday shuffle (or whenever it is).

I know a family who really wanted it in their home, for convenience sake because they had 8 children (yours, mine and ours). In short time, they realized they had to attend every week, and in less than a year, it was not there anymore.

• Shakita
    Shakita

BOOKSTUDIES AT THE KINGDOM HALL? Oh, yea, that's where the "CONTRIBUTION BOXES ARE!"

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

When I was growing up we had a contribution box in our house. I think more people contributed to that than the one at the Hall.....smaller group, easier for people to see you be so generous.

A knaves religion is always the rottenest thing about him." John Ruskin, 19th-century British critic and author

• blondie
    blondie

If a congregation is having all the book studies meet at the hall, it is most often because

1. No one's home is big enough to host a book study of any size

2. Lack of parking in the neighborhood may be an issue

3. No one qualified spiritually to have one in their home

4. Most often, no one wants the hassle of having the book study in their home

The house must be cleaned for company twice a week and many sisters work and have a family to care for.

Some brothers and sisters cannot be trusted not to snoop or "borrow" items from the home.

As has been mentioned, the host family can never miss the meeting. Who wants 15 to 20 people trapsing through your house while you are tossing your cookies in the bathroom.

BTW, book studies in the home are required to have a 3-sectioned contribution box per a BOE letter a few years' ago. Some elder bodies may not have implemented it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit