Jesus Set Precedent for Shunning

by JosephAlward 53 Replies latest jw friends

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

This thread is not about whether Jesus showed love or kindness to strangers. I'm still looking for acts of love and kindness by Jesus toward a FAMILY member, or a friend. For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume that the twelve disciples could be counted as Jesus' friends. Did Jesus ever express love for his mother, or brothers, or one of the disciples, and did he ever do an act of kindness toward them?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

"let the dead bury the dead" is not a difficult saying to understand Joseph

Edited by - a paduan on 14 October 2002 19:59:23

• Know_You
    Know_You

: I'm not aware off-hand which verses in the Bible explicity have Jesus expressing the view that one should love one's family and friends.

Which of you, if your son asked for an egg would hand him a viper? Love your neighbor as yourself. Etc.

Are you insane? Get a grip man.

KY

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Hey, he made sure someone He could trust would look after His mom just before He was killed. Anyway, thinking backwards that's the first one I could think of.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

JA,

Did Jesus ever express love for his mother, or brothers, or one of the disciples, and did he ever do an act of kindness toward them?

Yes.

The fact that you have to ask is in itself at the least a condemnation of your reading skills at most something more sinister.

IW

• Satanus
    Satanus

Paduan

Let's be consistent. Looking allegorically at the scripture to which you referred, jesus saying to john that jesus' mother was now johns mother, one could read some interesting things into it. Did you not say that the meaning jesus had for mother was sensuality?

SS

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

A disciple's mother isn't sensuality.

Now that I think about it, perhaps He was also telling John who his new mother was.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 14 October 2002 20:13:18

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I'm still looking for acts of love and kindness by Jesus toward a FAMILY member, or a friend.

Oh, I don't know, how about raising his friend Lazarus from the DEAD? or how about instructing John to take care of his mother Mary after his death?..

The only person Jesus shunned was Herod at his suppose 'trial'.. and with good cause, among other things, Herod had killed his cousin John the Baptist.

Your reasoning is very lame... to judge ANYONE'S 33 year life from just a 'few' historical scriptures is ludicrous:

John 25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
  • Satanus
    Satanus

AP

Really serious bible persons are able to mix and match verses, enterpreting them literally, allegorically, typically, antitypically, partially fulfilled, fully fulfilled, heavenly , earthily, etc etc. It is a tried and true method of harmonisation. Maybe that is why there are so many different christian tunes being played. The bible is an amazingly versitile instrument.

SS

• breeze
    breeze

This is very interesting information???

I think it is informative and is about the best post I have seen to date......

I don't like the idea of walking away from my family for any cause or religion. An to ignore someone because he believes in a different point of view than myself, well I just don't see it!!!

I am not so sure that this is not an invention of religion to steer believers to be totally dedicated to the cause. It seems very convienent to me that religion has these rules that guide us all to be totally blinded by outside influences to pay attention, time, and energy only on serving something greater than ourselves????

Don't misread this, I believe in GOD, just not the tons of biblical materials that seems to rule us all into absolute submission. Why can't you have GOD in your life and work and play and watch football, maybe become an actor and have a career without constant devotion to some relegious cause. Five hours of meetings weekly, eight hours of field service monthly, and countless hours of study encouraged.

BREEZE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit