family movies

by comforter 57 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Comforter, I don't go to movies. There are two many sweaty, worldly people. I have the HBO channels and there are four movies I would suggest: Finding Forrester, Room Mates, Men of Honor and, The Big Cahuna. Also, there are a lot good movies on the Classic Movie Channel. I hesitate to offer suggestions because I don't know the limits of your sensitivities. Also, I don't know your interests, movie wise.

• comforter
    comforter

we grateful for your suggestions, larc. the nameless ones understand what you say about sweaty worldly people. hey. because you a eminent worldly doctor and all, can you tell me what the psychical literature say about the connection between violent movies effecting kids? i know you retired and all. but your help is much obliged. tanks.

• larc
    larc

Comforter, I really have not studied this any more than the average person, so my opinion would not have any more validity than anyone else's. My gut reaction is that violence in children and young adults is a result of several factors, which could include: very violent movies, a violent home, a violent neighborhood, and a genetic predisposition towards aggressive behaviour. I don't think one of these factors alone causes violence. It is more likely a cumulative effect of many factors.

• comforter
    comforter

larc

thanky your consideration. sorry you aint studied the matter much. some literature we read said that there seems like it be a strong correlation between tv violence and agression in children. tv violence aint the only factor. you right. but you can see why a parent that considered what psychical literature say might not want there kids to watch Terminator. somebody told the nameless one that there was a study done by some person named Wilson in 1996 that show tv violence is linked with aggression in kids. we think this study ran in the la times.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

First of all, I am positive that I know more about the Bible than you. All you do is twist it. My point in quoting several scriptures from the Bible was to point out that even it is very gruesome at times.

it no wonder you dont understand spiritual things. they are concealed from unspiritual people.

You know nothing about me, so how can you call me unspiritual? I understand the context of the scriptures I quoted, I was merely showing that "God" uses some disgusting stuff to prove a point.

you dont know what the bible means because you lack the necessary prerequisites fer understanding it.

You are assuming a whole lot considering you don't know me. What are these so called prerequisites that I don't have? I understand the Bible just fine. You on the other hand have some problems with it, and I can give you examples of your lack of understanding.

what did you want? the bible writer to leave out important details. simply explaining what happened in detail in a war, aint really glorifying violence.

No, I couldn't care less! I was merely pointing out that the Bible was just as shocking as any movie.

do you think that the iliad glorify violence? if you do, you mistaken. today movies show violence gratutiously. even worldly critics and psychologists know this.
    The Illiad has elements of violence just as the Bible does. And I never denied that movies do to. But don't you think it's a bit odd that God expected girls that were raped to marry their rapist? You don't see that in movies, but you find it in the Bible. What about men selling their brother into slavery? Or two sisters seducing their father to get pregnant? Why are these okay to read about, but someone getting killed on a movie screen is so horrible?
  • comforter
    comforter

$$$The cases classified as seduction are technically and realistically cases of rape also; the difference is that the girl in question is neither married nor betrothed. Why, in such cases, was not the death penalty invoked? In the former cases, marriage was already contracted; the offense was against both man and woman, therefore, and required death. In the case of a single girl, unbetrothed, the decision rested in the hands of the girls father, and, in part, the girl. If the offender, cited simply as a seducer in Exodus 22:16, 17, and as a rapist in Deuteronomy 22:28, 29, is an acceptable husband, then he shall pay 50 shekels of silver as a dowry and marry her, without right of divorce because he hath humbled her (Deut. 22:29); but If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins (Ex. 22:17). If a man thus is rejected as a husband, the girl is compensated for the offense to make her an attractive wife to another man, coming as she will with a double dowry, his own and her compensation money.

To understand the background of this law, let us remember, first, that the Biblical law-order requires the death of incorrigible delinquents and criminals. The seducer and/or rapist of an unbetrothed girl was thus presumably not an incorrigible youth, although at this point clearly in guilt. No gain was possible from his offense. If he were allowed to marry the girl, he did so without right of divorce, and at the cost of a full dowry. If he were refused, he still had to pay a full dowry to the girl, a considerable loss to his own future.$$$

R.J. Rushdoony, The Institutes of Biblical Law (Nutley, NJ: Craig Press, 1973), pp. 396-397.

• comforter
    comforter

stinky

you still confuse.

$$$What about men selling their brother into slavery? Or two sisters seducing their father to get pregnant? Why are these okay to read about, but someone getting killed on a movie screen is so horrible?$$$

God not approve of selling brother into slavery. he didnt like Lot's daughters having sex with there father either. it is history. things happened and to understand latter events, you need to know about things that preceded latter events. and the story about lot aint explicit. no bad language or graphic descriptions of sex. just history. and the nameless one aint said it horrible seeing somebody git killed on movie screen. but it terrible that 40 or 50 more get killed on movie and they make it as gross as possible, when there aint even a need for violence. it just for shock value. the bible aint like Terminator or The Bourne Identity. no comparison.

• mustang
    mustang

"God not approve"

"but it terrible"

"it just for shock value"

And the WTS does not approve of ignorance, in it's service. That is why they institued the TMS and even reading classses, where necessary. Here we observe BLOODGUILT by stumbling, Disgraced One.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit