Evolution or creation?

by haujobbz 155 Replies latest jw friends

• Realist
    Realist

the only really open question is how the first cells came into existence. as long as this question is not solved some may chose to believe God created them. however, since God had nothing to do with either the creation of galaxies nor solar systems or with the evolution of species it makes more sense to assume that also the first cells developed on their own without a guiding spirit.

pomegranate,

you are talking about an eukaryotic cell. the first cells were without doubt prokaryotic (also shown by fossil evidence). these cells are by far less complex (no nucleus, no golgi, no vesicles, no classical chromosomes no ER etc.. the first cells on earth were most likely even far less complex than todays prokaryotes.

evidence for evolution comes from biochemistry, molecular biology, biogepgraphy, comparative anatomy, archeology and embryology.

if you want we can discuss details from any of these fields.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Ahhh yes, Random deeds.

The suns placement, solar makeup, chemical makeup of earth, bacteria, viruses, DNA, etc...etc... All Random..........so what are the odds that we made it here??? Even with all the Billions of Billions of stars out there, what are the odds that we would develop?? EVERYTHING has to be perfect, be it the distance to the sun, temp, ox content, planet type, etc...etc..., then you have to put it in the oven for a couple of million years at 90 degrees and hope it comes out right (watch out for those asteroid blackouts!).......ALL RANDOM!! What are the odds!

Now as Ive said before, I accept evolution, I just feel that its had a little help.......

• gumby
    gumby

I

IT'S NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK JAN

• Realist
    Realist

a) so far we know about 100 billion galaxies each having 100 billion stars

b) things don't have to be perfect! it is very possible that live developed also on mars as well as the jupiter moon europa. the first cells developed under environmental conditions that exist most likely on many developing planets.

• freeman
    freeman

Pomegranate you raised some truly excellent arguments. I find them very similar to the arguments I raised some time ago.

Unfortunately, (and I dont mean this disparagingly), you are obviously ignorant on the subject of evolution and how the powerful forces of natural selection play upon development of bio-mechanisms. You are also under the mistaken assumption (as I also once was) that cellular construction and function is the same now as it was in the beginning.

I will not debate you on this subject, as it is not my intent to try and defeat anyone in a contest of ideas, but I do challenge you to investigate further. Nobody can tell you the answer; you must find this out for yourself just like I did.

You will know that you have sufficient knowledge on this subject when the excellent argument you presented above doesnt seem nearly so excellent anymore.

Freeman

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

CYCLES.

MOTION.

My main point is CYCLES.

Cells, ALL CELLS are cyclic reactions. Re-actions DICTATE a first ACTION.

ACTION dictates PURPOSE. Who put the purpose in the first reaction?

Every natural biological reaction in the world has a purpose encapsulated in two modes, to build the living up, or break the living down.

Prokaryotes are just as complex and cyclic. Even still, evolutionists also have a big problem with their theoretical cavernous jump from prokaryotes to eukaryotes...

• Amazing
    Amazing

Evolution is a proven fact: The problem with many who are not familiar with it is the word "theory" ... in science a theory is still factual. In my field of engineering, there is "Electrical Theory" or the premise on which our understanding and ultimnate application result in working macninery like motors, lights, etc. ... likewise, the 'Evolutionary Theory" is the premise upon which all modern working biology is based. It is nonetheless still a fact ... recognizing that evolution exist does not, however, require that we believe in or not believe in God. He could have set evolution into motion ... and Roman Catholics have this latitude to accept evolution on this basis. See www.talkorigins.org for some great debate on both sides of the issue

As for the universe: There is far to much there to assume that we on earth are the only life ... though we could be ... why us? Why not us? For if not here it would be somewhere, and those people would be asking the same questions ... I believe that there is abundant life in the universe, and to assume otherwise, the way some religions have assumed is in my mind shear arrogance and pride ... I wish I could live to the time when we make our first contact with life from other worlds.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Realist,

LOL I am not trying to say there are not any microbes or little bugs hanging out on Mars or Uropia. Im sure there a plenty of bugs on Mars somewhere. We find them in the most inhospitible here on earth. But I am talking about HUMANS! (Shit I'll take Apes!) Coherent creatures!! Not some eat/sleep/sex sand beatle (even though that sounds like us....). Im just saying that we as an 'evolved' species have done one hell of a job and I think we got a little help along the way......

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Evolution teaches survival of the fittest, meaning the better evolved species would replace that which is unfit to survive, the previous species.

If we evolved from apes, then why are there so many UNFIT TO SURVIVE apes still surviving if we are the species that was supposedly the fittest?

Think of all the fit species that survived.

All of them.

• IronGland
    IronGland

You ever look at particles of dust floating in a sunbeam coming through a window? That dust particle is the earth. The sunbeam is like our galaxy. Our galaxy itself is like a mote of dust compared to the universe. How life got its start is still unanswered, but when you think of the scale of things, the fact that some unusual chemistry happened on this particular dust particle is not hard to imagine.

When you think about how microscopically small we are compared to the universe it's hard to imagine that we are in any way important. As(i believe) Richard Feynman said "The stage is too big for the play"

In reply to pomegranite's asinine post about "unfit apes", if they were unfit, they wouldn't have survived. The fact that they are around shows that they are perfectly fit for their environment.

Edited by - irongland on 9 October 2002 18:18:10

Edited by - irongland on 9 October 2002 18:18:51

Edited by - irongland on 9 October 2002 18:19:59

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit