Would You Now Feel Uncomfortable Taking Blood?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Now that you know about the truth of the blood doctrine, would you feel, even a little bit uncomfortable agreeing to take a blood transfusion? BTW, my mother asked me if I would still honor her wishes for refusal of blood. I told her that even though my view has changed, I would respect her decision, even if I felt that it was wrong.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

NOPE!

• Mac
    Mac

Only if the bed and pillows were not adjusted properly!

mac

• out4good3
    out4good3

Not at the risk of dying.

but I'd be honor bound to respect my wife's wishes.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

The religious factor wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable now, but worrying about blood borne diseases might make me a tad on the nervous side. This would not prevent me from taking a transfusion though if it was a last resort.

BW

• onacruse
    onacruse

Not if it was autologous. Otherwise, yes. Not because of religious scruples though...simply my choice.

I am currently listed as the Health Care Representative on my parents' Advance Medical Directive, and I would absolutely honor their refusal of blood transfusions (as JWs). Again, their choice.

imo, not wrong, not right...just a choice.

Craig

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

The biggest problem I have with the blood issue is the WTS' weird and wimpy policy on what parts are approved by God and what parts are not. I don't agree with the position, but if an organization is gonig to take a stand on blood based on a scripture saying "Do not eat blood" then dammit, don't take blood. Why is plasma okay, and white cells (or is it red cells) permitted? The policy is so intricate and confusing I've long since lost track of what is allowed and what isn't. I took the blood card out of my wallet months ago, as well as the cards for my children.

Only if the bed and pillows were not adjusted properly!
    There are pillows involved? Woooooooo
  • BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

My Father, a JW and not married at the time, gave the power of blood transfusion refusal to a JW employee of his just so that he would be assured that my sister and I would not override his wishes.

I'm not sure what "documents" he has now. But, I'm sure he wouldn't want the blood. I honestly don't know what I would do if the decision was for me to make at this time. It would depend on what the quality of life would be after the transfusion. If it just meant he would live a few more days, I probably would honor his wishes. If he still would be able to perform relatively normal activities, I would have them pump away.

Andee

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I have no problem with donating blood...this is easy and I have plenty of it, I know my blood is safe, but I'm not confident in the blood that I could be offered...so I would have to say that I would only accept blood if it was life or death situation. Same for my kids. If expanders or alternative treatment is available, I'd go for that first.

~Beck~

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Of course, I would consider all the options. Taking something from another persons body and putting into mine is risky. (Why do vampires suddenly come to mind here?)

In some cases, making this "exchange" is a risk necessary in order to live.

Recently, I re-thought my position on being an organ donor. It disturbed my husband, but it's personal choice. Since it is my wish to be cremated anyway, why should any good organs go to waste when they might save another life? But, in order to make him feel better, I told him that he could deal with me in any way he wished if I passed away. After all, I wouldn't know anything about it. I do think it's a matter of respect. I think he would honor my request, even if it would not be his personal choice for himself.

If you have a strong position one way or the other, you should let someone close to you know how you feel, and better yet, put it in wriitng. I would always try to honor someone else's wishes, even if it disagreed with my own. I suppose one can never truly say what they would do unless faced with that decision.

The medical field is improving all the time. There are so many blood substitutes. I do know this for a fact. My mother was at death's door a short while back. She went in for "minor" surgury. The surgery went bad, and she was bleeding internally, even after they sent her home. The second surgery was life or death. She survived, but her blood count was dangerously low. As a JW, she refused blood. Her wishes were honored. The hospital and the doctors were upset with her. We were preparing ourselves for the worse, but she somehow managed to survive. However, recently she was diagnosed with extremely bad osteoperosis. We believe that this occured because her body drew it's last ounce of nutrients from her bones to keep her alive.

Karen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit