News From Circuit Assembly

by Searchin50 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

*** Matthew 24:15-22 ***
    15 "Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) 16 then let those in Jude'a begin fleeing to the mountains. 17 Let the man on the housetop not come down to take the goods out of his house; 18 and let the man in the field not return to the house to pick up his outer garment. 19 Woe to the pregnant women and those suckling a baby in those days! 20 Keep praying that YOUR flight may not occur in wintertime, nor on the sabbath day; 21 for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world's beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. 22 In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short.

If they claim they no longer understand this, it means that they no longer believe that the UN is the "Disgusting Thing". Perhaps it is their little way of covering over their involvement with the UN?

• blondie
    blondie

I think what JWs were told was that the UN (as the League of Nations) still represents the 'disgusting thing' but that the standing in a holy place did not start in 1918 when the churches proclaimed the League as the expression of God's Kingdom on earth, putting it in the kingdom's place. The WTS says that this standing is at a yet future time.

• mustang
    mustang

Time to "circle the wagons"?

Get something CONCRETE down about these pronouncements!! You know how they like to deny everything later. I remember the pre-75 frenzy.

Mustang

Edited by - mustang on 7 October 2002 19:57:34

• blondie
    blondie

JWs have been told to circle the wagon for years. The Bible says this about trying to predict the time Jesus is coming: (NWT)

Matthew 24:44 ***
    On this account

YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it

, the Son of man is coming.Luke 12:39-40 ***
    But know this, that if the householder had known at what hour the thief would come, he would have kept watching and not have let his house be broken into. 40 Y OU also, keep ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think likely the Son of man is coming."

*** w99 5/1 16 "Let the Reader Use Discernment" ***
    10 Gods people once understood that the first phase of the great tribulation began in 1914 and that the final part would come at the battle of Armageddon. (Revelation 16:14, 16; compare The Watchtower, April 1, 1939, page 110.) So we can understand why it was once thought that the latter-day "disgusting thing" must have stood in a holy place soon after World War I.

However, in later years we have come to see things differently. On Thursday, July 10, 1969, at the "Peace on Earth" International Assembly in New York City, F. W. Franz, then vice president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, gave an electrifying talk. In reviewing the previous understanding of Jesus prophecy, Brother Franz said: "The explanation was given that the great tribulation had begun in 1914 C.E. and that it was not allowed to run its full course then but God stopped World War I in November of 1918. From then on God was allowing an interval for the activity of his anointed remnant of elect Christians before he let the final part of the great tribulation resume at the battle of Armageddon."

Then a significantly adjusted explanation was offered: "To correspond with the events of the first century, . . . the antitypical great tribulation did not begin in 1914 C.E. Rather, what took place upon Jerusalems modern antitype in 1914-1918 was merely a beginning of pangs of distress . . . The great tribulation such as will not occur again is yet ahead, for it means the destruction of the world empire of false religion (including Christendom) followed by the war of the great day of God the Almighty at Armageddon." This meant that the entire great tribulation was yet ahead.

This has a direct bearing on discerning when "the disgusting thing" stands in a holy place. Recall what happened in the first century. The Romans attacked Jerusalem in 66 C.E., but they abruptly withdrew, which allowed Christian "flesh" to be saved. (Matthew 24:22) Accordingly, we expect the great tribulation to begin soon, but it will be cut short for the sake of Gods chosen ones. Note this key point: In the ancient pattern, the disgusting thing standing in a holy place was linked to the Roman attack under General Gallus in 66 C.E. The modern-day parallel to that attackthe outbreak of the great tribulationis still ahead. So "the disgusting thing that causes desolation," which has existed since 1919, apparently is yet to stand in a holy place. How will this happen? And how can we be affected?

Revelation depicts "a scarlet-colored wild beast" that exists for a time, disappears, and then returns. (Revelation 17:3, 8) This beast is supported by world rulers. Details supplied in the prophecy help us to identify this symbolic beast as a peace organization that came into existence in 1919 as the League of Nations (a "disgusting thing") and that is now the United Nations. Revelation 17:16, 17 shows that God will yet put it into the hearts of certain human rulers who are prominent in this "beast" to desolate the world empire of false religion. That attack marks the outbreak of the great tribulation.

Since the start of the great tribulation is yet future, is the "standing in a holy place" still ahead of us? Evidently so. While "the disgusting thing" made its appearance early in this century and has, thus, existed for decades, it will take a position in a unique way "in a holy place" in the near future. As first-century followers of Christ must have keenly watched to see how the "standing in a holy place" would develop, so do present-day Christians. Admittedly, we will have to wait for the actual fulfillment to know all the details. Yet, it is noteworthy that in some lands there is already a detectable and growing antipathy toward religion . Some political elements, in league with former Christians who have deviated from the true faith, are promoting hostility against religion in general and true Christians in particular. (Psalm 94:20, 21; 1 Timothy 6:20, 21)
  • Amazing
    Amazing

This sounds very typical of how the Society sends out trial balloons to test market their next shift in teaching and policy. I have no doubt that if some Kingdom Halls are close due to payout of lawsuits, that the JWs might see this as the beginning of the end ... and then time will pass and they will be on to something else ... but first, they will have a significant drop in business.

• minimus
    minimus

Amazing, you mention how the Society sends out trial balloons to test market their next shift in teaching and policy. Could you give some concrete examples?

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Search,

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to hear the reports from other Circuit Assemblies. Though the new DO in your sister's circuit could be overzealous in his presentation, it sounds like he was following a Society outline. Well they have to do something to distract attention from the real issues. Looks like they are going back to their old habits.

Athanasius

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

They are having a convention here in Nashville in the next couple of weeks- I think I will drop in with tape recorder and camcorder- just to hear what is said for myself......

• Swan
    Swan

Realist, you wrote:

i was talking to an very sincere JW the other day and he told me the UN will attack religion world wide in the very near future ...according to WT that is the only prophecy that wasn't fullfilled yet.

I believe that, but I predict that it will only be those NGOs that didn't return their library books.

Tammy

• jack2
    jack2

another "report" from an assembly/convention.....when will the speculation stop? well, we all know the answer to that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit