I ran my first 10K today.

by Princess 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I started running in April of this year. I decided I wanted to run the 5K in The Race for the Cure (breast cancer) in June. I loved it and was able to run faster than I expected, about 28 minutes. Not bad for a beginner. Then I decided I wanted to run a 10K and finally was able to do it today. I ran in the Walk 4 Hope (www.walk4hope.org) 10K this morning. I was hoping to finish in less than an hour and I did, 56 minutes, 22 seconds. It was much harder than I thought it would be but I haven't been able to train as much as I wanted. I have been having problems with my left knee and have only been able to run on Sundays for the last three weeks. I did it though! It feels good to reach a goal. Now I can't wait for the next one.

Who else runs?

Rachel

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Boy I remember when I had hair on my head and I started running- one lap killed me- then something clicked (lost my sanity) and I ran 10 miles- it seemed to be more of a mindset than a physical thing.

• LB
    LB

28 minutes for your first 5K is very good. So is 56 minutes for your 10K, that's super. The highschool cross country team I coach has a few girls that can't run a 5K under 30 minutes.

I have run many times, I run from responsibility, taxes, JW meetings, ex-wives and on occasion, Jill. But no K's.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

LOL@LB

Princess, that's super!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((((((((((((((((((((Princess)))))))))))))))))))))

That is so cool and congrats on reaching your goal!! Those times are really good you should be very proud of yourself.

bc

• Amazing
    Amazing

Good work Princess: I have never run the mile in less than 10 minutes ... Banister beat 4 minutes ... but since May, I doubt I could run a 1/2K ... to avoid a heart attack it would take me about 3 days to do it.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Good for you ((Princess))

That's a wonderful time for a beginner. Are you sure you're just a beginner???

Keep up the good work.

Hugs,

j2bf

• footprints
    footprints

Galloping girls 10K
    Way to go

• wasasister
    wasasister

Good for you, Princess!

I was an avid runner for many years. I ran Bloomsday several years in a row and usually finished in under an hour. I have a dawer full of t-shirts from 10K's to prove it! (This is a 12k) At my peak, I was running 6 or 7 miles four days a week.

Eventually, my feet gave out. Most women end up with hip or knee problems, but with me, it all went to my feet. Two of my toes are not even attached to bone anymore (hanging by ligament) and the Dr. recommended amputating them. I can't wear any sort of heel and running on pavement is out of the question.

Despite all that, I run when I can on soft, dirt trails. I shouldn't, but I still love the way it feels.

Don't get me wrong, I would never discourage you. Running was a great joy in my life - I often thought it kept me sane during my divorce and exit from the Borg. Most of my most profound ideas came to me during my runs.

With you in spirit,

Wasa

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Congratulations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit