I ran my first 10K today.

by Princess 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hey Wasa,

You should try bike riding. It won't hurt your feet and it's good exercise. I don't run anymore, the pounding hurts but bike riding is fun. You can cover a lot of ground and see some interesting things you miss in the car, that is if you have a safe route to ride.

Ken P.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Congratulations, Princess!

10K in 56 mins is good.

I ran my first 1/2 marathon ( about 21K ) 20 years ago. At the time, about the most gruelling physical thing I had done. 1 hour 46 mins. 6 years later I did it in 1 hour 13mins. I was running about 50 miles a week then. I only run on a Sunday now for 3 - 5 miles but the fitness is still there and I don't feel tired at all.

If you keep up the running for a few years, Princess, I believe it will pay off healthwise later on, too. Just think - not getting out of breathe after running for a bus when you're 90!

• butalbee
    butalbee

I used to do a lot of running a couple years ago. Never ran a marathon, or timed myself though. It was just a great mental and physical relief, esp when I was pissed off.

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

Congrats Rachel! I've been running for years and can tell you it's addictive. Nothing makes me feel as "high" as a good run. Steve and I have a Hood to Coast team down here in Portland. Maybe we can talk you into signing up for next August?

Connie

• Princess
    Princess

Thanks for all the encouragement! Running is addictive, get a lot of ideas and some thinking time while running.

That's some pretty impressive time Spanner. I was thinking of running the Seattle half marathon on December 1, but I think it's too soon. I'll definitely do one next year though. I have plans to do the Seattle Jingle Bell dash at Christmas and the St Patty's day run in March and will keep checking schedules for fun runs.

Connie, is that Hood River to the coast? Send me details, I'm interested! I spent a few days in Hood River in August this year. I just realized it's probably Mt Hood to the coast. I'll have to work hard but it sounds like fun.

Wasa, I agree with Undecided, biking is an excellent choice if you have foot problems. My husband has dislocated his knee twice and can't run anymore. He bikes centuries instead.

Rachel

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Wow, 10K is under an hour? Good for you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit