WT PR Statement - silentlambs march

by silentlambs 84 Replies latest jw friends

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Jehovah's Witnesses work to protect children and to prevent the problem of child molestation from contaminating the congregation.

Yeah...Right. We'll believe that when we see ACTION from their part. So far, the only action on their part is running their mouth saying it.

We uphold Bible principles and comply with secular law, Jehovah's Witnesses are convinced that the most effective defense against such terrible, damaging behavior is to teach and instill the Bible's high moral principles and values in responsive individuals in the communities in which they live and work.

"...comply with secular law", they only do that on matters dealing with non-JWs, but not inside their borganization.

"...teach high moral principles and values in responsive individuals in the communities in which they live and work." Are they talking about the non-JW individual? Also, what high moral principle and value are they talking about? So far, the only thing they preach so much to death and spend so much more time is "ARMAGEDDON this, ARMAGEDDON that".

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Even if he gives extensive evidence of genuine repentance and has stopped his wrongdoing, the individual is severely censored by the congregation and is not protected from criminal investigation and/or prosecution. Even if today years have passed, he does not qualify for any responsibilities in the congregation.

Rrrriiiiigghhhhtttt...give me a frickin' break here! What gutless liars they are!! Doesn't qualify for responsibilities?? That's why after my abuser confessed they approved his application to pioneer??! This weekend in NYC confirmed my belief that this is an organization led by evil men; the more they lie, the stronger that conviction gets.

Dana

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

What I noticed is that they say "even if a man gives extensive evidence of genuine repentance and has stopped his wrongdoing, the individual is severely censored by the congregation and is not protected from criminal investigation and/or prosecution...."

1. What about the one who DOESN'T confess and it is a CHILD'S word against his? Who do you believe? How do you proceed in states where it is not mandatory to report? What do you tell the parents of the child if they want to warn other parents of what happened to their child? What do you tell them when they want to go to the the police?

2. How do you know he has really "stopped his wrongdoing?" Are you going to follow this man everywhere and monitor him everywhere he goes even to his own home where his children are?

3. What do you mean by "not protected" from criminal investigation/prosecution? Do you think you have the means or authority to protect an individual from criminal investigation if you were to choose to do so? Is this not what is EXPECTED of all citizens, that they comply with the law and not tamper with justice? Why does this have to be a "policy"? Shouldn't it be assumed?

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well, I will have to pass my comments on this statement onto the CBC ....

Look at the first line people .... right to free f__king expression.

Who the f__k are they kidding?

Did not Bill, Barb, Joe, the Pandelos etc. get expelled for causing so called f__king divisions all because they wanted to alert the public and stop the abuse.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus .... Jesus ... then the whole god damn things goes from there....

hawk

• zev
    zev

Edited by - zev on 1 October 2002 16:0:2

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

This sure sounds like it is less and less about the children and more and more like it is about people who want retribution and apologies.

I think the WT's policy as it stands is very reasonable, and it's not J.R. Brown's fault if idiot elders don't do what they're supposed to.

: What do you tell the parents of the child if they want to warn other parents of what happened to their child?

You tell them that they better be prepared for the consequences if the person is not guilty of such an abhorrent accusation and to think carefully about what they say. Just as we all have to do when faced with critical situations in life

: What do you tell them when they want to go to the the police?

You tell them it is their decision to do so or to not do so.

: How do you know he has really "stopped his wrongdoing?" Are you going to follow this man everywhere and monitor him everywhere he goes even to his own home where his children are?

No, you presume a person is innocent unless evidence points to guilty behavior.

: Is this not what is EXPECTED of all citizens, that they comply with the law and not tamper with justice? Why does this have to be a "policy"? Shouldn't it be assumed?

They are spelling out their strict compliance with the law. Of course it is assumed, but apparently some in the silentlambs don't appreciate that and need to be reminded.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? What the Dickens?????

I was stunned when I read the statement Bill, and realise that many outsiders will just read it superficially without the *benefit* of WTBTS doublespeak.

However, reading their statement more critically, you can begin to find areas where what they have publicly stated may come back and *shoot them in the foot* - for want of a more appropriatre phrase ;o)

I trust that that statement will be sent to every elder with the paragraph, quoted below, highlighted and an admonition to go through all files and ensure that there are no outstanding unreported accusations in accordance with the final sentence of the paragraph and that all elders have *worked immediately to assure the safety of the victim and of other children*. In fact, HQ should at this moment be going through their files and questioning the treatment of each of the cases held on file there to ensure compliance with the law in mandatory reporting states. There is no mention in this paragraph of a requirement for 2 WITNESSES.

If an accusation of child molestation is made against a member of a congregation, the elders immediately work to assure the safety of the victim and of other children. Also, they make every effort to comply with the law. This includes complying with laws that mandate reporting the incident to the proper authorities. This is done even when a child is the only one to report the wrong conduct or when the elders received the allegation of molestation in confidence.

Am I misreading this - or have they publicly abandoned the two witness rule in mandatory reporting states?

If they have, Bill, this would be quite a step forward and then Jehovah's Witnesses could legitimately express, in accordance with the opening sentences in this statement, their desire for all abuse allegations to be mandatorily reported in order to afford ALL Jehovah's Witnesses the same rights.

We respect a person's right to free expression. In fact, as Jehovah's Witnesses, we live by that principle every day of our lives.

Something makes me feel that the WTBTS could come to rue the day that they made this statement - and even more so if recent allegations were ever substantiated.

Imho it was not a very clever statement to make public - I think it leaves them wide open on several fronts, particularly in view of the number of abused victims now coming forward with their version of events! Or maybe the local elders will just be left to hang out to dry in each case.

We respect a person's right to free expression. In fact, as Jehovah's Witnesses, we live by that principle every day of our lives.

Sorry! Just had to repeat that one. I am assuming that there will no longer be grounds for accusations of *running ahead of Jehovah*. You will just be using your *right to free expression* which they as fellow Jehovah's Witnesses respect and abide by every day of their lives. Apostasy - a thing of the past maybe....?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Zev,

The PR letter discusses judicial activity within the congregation, not compliance with the law. You shouldn't call people liars in giant sized fonts if you can't comprehend a few simple sentences.

• zev
    zev

Edited by - zev on 1 October 2002 15:59:34

• rocky220
    rocky220

HEY WATCHTOWER....CAN YOU SPELL..........P E R J U R Y??..

ROCKY220

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit