Im ready to leave

by SpunkedTeen 35 Replies latest jw friends

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Yes, I agree with the advice above. But meanwhile do your best at school, college is the direction you should take. Junior college is usually a good option for witnesses unless there's a way you can go straight to university. Also, if you have a job, sock away as much money as possible so you can use it towards college. Don't give in to the the temptation to buy lots of clothing or entertainment. In your particular situation it is especially important to have cash for when you choose to move on from this religion.

Talk to the councillor at school about your situation. She will do what she can for you, and possibly even get you scholarships.

You are DEFINITELY not alone! Even tho I stayed with the witnesses for way too long, I felt like you did when I was in high school. Unfortunately I believed part of it, so got baptized etc etc. You have a fantastic life ahead of you! Stay positive and be an advocate for yourself.

edit: yes, as one eyed joe said, tell us more about yourself and your family situation, we can give you more specific advice. Love!

• SAHS
    SAHS

I’m in basically the same situation, but for a very long time. I too am a born-in/stuck-in. Right now I’m actually living with my folks, even though I just turned 49 this month. I’m out of work, on disability, and in some financial debt. So, I too know about having to hang in there.

I find that one has to just take life one day at a time (oh, and I’m also a recovering alcoholic). Just do whatever you can each day to move toward your goal of financial independence, and, at the same time, make sure you have simple joys and pleasures each day to focus on for happiness and serenity. You need to have some practical and attainable game plan to gradually yet surely edge toward the fulfillment of your ideal situation, or at least as close to it as you can get – but don’t forget to stop and smell the roses along the way.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Welcome. Breaking the news to mom will be difficult. I am wishing you the best.

• fleshyheadedmutant
    fleshyheadedmutant

Welcome.

Don't do anything just yet. You have plenty of time. For now, just read many posts on here and give yourself time to think.

Yes, I agree with posters that education is the most important thing. Don't do anything to jeopardize yours. If mom will pay for your college, then right now, you don't have to tell anyone anything.

I certainly do advise that if you are not baptized, don't take this step. Many people are not shunned if they are never baptized.

Please remember....you have plenty of time. Don't rush into anything. There are always repercussions to decisions.We wish you the best.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    i think--if truth be told--most born in kids learn to hate the cult----and only go along with it out of economic necessity. the majority leave sooner or later.
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Please listen to the advice you have been given. If you are not baptized, don't take that step. If you are, don't say anything yet. In order to avoid being shunned by your mom when you leave home, you need to learn about how to leave the organization slowly. It is called fading. You can't just come out and tell her you are ready to leave. She will very likely feel obligated to notify the elders, and things can get ugly really quickly. Stop and take a deep breath. You are young. Armegedon is not coming soon. Jehovah's Witnesses have been saying that for over 100 years. It is a lie. Keep reading and posting. Start developing your exit strategy.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome, and study the good advice you've been give here.

Don't rush anything just now, and things will be a lot better for you.

• berrygerry
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome,

You have made a giant leap of a step in seeing the problem for what it is. You will need to take some time to figure out the path you must follow. I assume by your name that you are a teen living at home.

Slow down until you know your next step. Some decide to be brutally honest, others decide to bide their time until they are on their own then slide away from the JW organization. One path may be disastrous for your mother and the other may be too much to ask of you. You have to figure that one out, and maybe even figure other alternatives.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Welcome Spunky. Don't open your mouth yet. Just coast along until you can figure out how you're going to do things.

You mentioned your mother; what about your father?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit