What's with the media and the march

by Lady Lee 72 Replies latest jw friends

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

I think it is getting really hot in this thread, I'll just go for a walk now

• minimus
    minimus

This was not newsworthy. Very few people care about JW's or ExJW's.What is newsworthy though, is, getting the message properly to the JW community about how wrong the Witnesess are. Whether every news agency carries the story or not is not as important as whether or not JW's see the truth about pedophiles, doctrines and God.

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

I agre, most people dont care for jw's or xjws in general BUT if they would know, that some of them are paedophiles, they would care...and what is this WT policy, if someone is a KNOWN paedophile, someone must accompany him door 2 door, what if that companion is a UNKNOWN paedophile, they make quite a team, huh?

• Dia
    Dia

Lighten up, guys.

First off, I heard some media were there. Does anyone know who they were? That would help. Be patient. Perhaps Bill and others are at work.

But if you know WHO was there, ask them. 'Are you covering this? Can we expect something?, etc.'

POSSIBLY, this one was a learning experience and nothing more (tho I kind of doubt that. Bill has made LOTS of friends in the media. I would bet that something's brewing.)

In any event, don't bury youselves in the persecuted, 'nobody cares' philisophy of JWs.

But, please do recognize that if you're going around saying that 'everyone but JWs' is Satanic, it's a little hard to get 'everyone but JWs' to go to bat for you.

It would really help if you made some effort to distance yourself from this proclamation before you start seeking the assistance of 'everyone but JWs'.

Don't sweat it. I think they understand.

I also wanted to know, was there any effort to involve, educate, or stir up the crowd? The anonymous onlookers or people you passed on the street?

Did you have any flyers or anything to share with them? Did you speak to them at all? Did you CARE about them or suggest what they might do or why they might be concerned?

Or was it all between the SL and the WTS?

If so, that makes it a little hard if the WTS is choosing to feign oblivion to your concerns.

What would there be for a reporter to report? He writes for the crowd, for the world, the town, the PEOPLE, the nation.

What in your protest would interest them? To want to read it?

Don't get up on the 'all about money and power' thing.

Take a good look at this whole thing and learn whatever can be learned from it.

But, in the meantime, be patient.

LOTS of people care about this. If you haven't quite figured out yet how to turn this into press, be patient. You will learn.

In ANY, any event, be patient. It's only Sunday.

There may be more on the way. Give it a chance.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Just got off the phone with my ex wife who is a active jw. Though the conversation was in regards to my sons health I brought up the silent lambs march and gave her the web address. No she had never heard of the march or the silent lambs movement or the pediphile issue. Not only is she a jw but also her parents in KY. None knew a thing about it. Attacking washington as a joint effort to effect laws as a tool to force a change is the only option that will work. JWs are a closeknit, sheltered group who will stand behind the GB for fear of losing grace with the org.

If the march in NY did not gain any media attention the WT will not repsond to the march, No damage control needed. If laws are put in place with a penalty of losing tax free status for not complying changes will be made.

• DJ
    DJ

Kelsey,

The march did get local news coverage in NY. That's all that I know of. Channel WB 11, I believe. Anyway, the fact that you stated that you are not anti-jw is enlightening to me. I am anti-jw, having lived thru the horror of being raised in it. Your son is being raised as a jw? It is better when the father is not a jw even if the mother is. When it's reversed, the child lives through much pain. Hopefully, you can help your son. However, if you are not anti-jw, how can you help him? Have you ever been a jw?

• Jesika
    Jesika

I saw it on TV when I was in NYC. Channel 11 and a national spanish staion--univision (sp?) covered it. I was told by Bill there were 3cameras, a radio talk show and someone from a newspaper. Email Bill and ask him. I talked to the reporter from Canada, so there should be on there too, I can't remember the station--sorry.

Erica Garza's dad said on the phone he saw it on CNN earilier that evening, and so did the bartender in the hotel lobby.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

I was a jw for over 34 years. My son made the adult decision to not be a jw without any negatism being forced on him by my part.

In fact I came from 3 generations of jw's. Few here have expereinced the pain and hurt that I have due to this org. But as I matured I realized that as long as I held such hate I was still controlled by them. I got beyond the jw's and feel much better for it. Having gotton beyond the experience I have been able to reach out to people of all sorts and maintain a balanced view of the world that I live in. I am glad that I did not raise my son with such hatred. For he to as an adult can look clearly at things and decide to stay clear of certain things- not because of hate- but because it is not for him. Now he can deal with all his fellow humans with love- even jws.

Yes, it is a wonderful feeling to live without hate and anger. It is very pleasant to speak my mind without fear of what others mught say or think. No longer having the fear of man. No longer having a cult leader so to speak.

I am sorry that others live in hate and anger. I am also sorry for those who would make assuptions as to me or my son.

• Larry
    Larry

Izo - You have done GREAT work in your region of the world - Much thanks. No matter what you say, I will support b/c you serve an important purpose. You are furthering the cause for the victims.

But please dont question Bill.

where is bill bowen anyway?

Bill is away from his office and computer. He is still in NY handling very important business. Bill doesnt have to account to us.

my first impression of bill bowen was good, he was sympatical, simple man with one mission, he has been making candles for 30 years and now he wants to change the system...maybe a little naive, maybe even intentional...those were my first thoughts...and I still have that impression.

You are entitled to your opinion - much respect. If Bill is what you describe, who are you and what do you want is your intentions?

But hey, if you believe in conspiracy, you can think, that the Watchtower hired Bill to do all this, so that "the prophecies are fullfiling" and "god's org" is being attacked and the publishers are getting this "urgency" feeling again...heh, wow, that woud be a revelation!

Izo - Give me a break! But it was a good laugh - thanks.

Lets work together - Peace my brother

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I have not heard any news reports from yesterday. I have a friend that works as a reporter for the local news, and I asked him a about stuff like this. This is what he said ...

"The news gets a lot of phone calls from people who want certain causes known. Not surprising, a lot have to do with religion. The media has to be careful though, as they do not want to get involved in something that is more of a one-on-one personal matter. They want to mention things that affect everyone or at least a large percentage. Thus, they do one of two things. One, they ignore it and hope it goes away. Two, they send out a "no name" reporter to interview for experience. When they get back they look it over and figure, we will keep it around for awhile. If later more things develop they have an edge. If not, they just say the story got bumped."

... Now in my conversation with my friend this afternoon, as I called him again on this issue. He said basically, "it is just not big enough!" It is not a issue enough people care about to put on the national news. It might show up in some story line to Dateline, 20/20 or something like that. It will be part of a whole collage of information though, and not one piece.

As a illustration, have you ever lost a loved one that really meant something to you. Didn't you almost want the news to mention them, or some parade of acknowledgement from the world that this person mattered? I know I have. In reality though, that is the world. If it is not big enough, if it does not affect enough people ... it is not news worthy. It's the hard facts of this life.

Take Care

Dragon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit