What's with the media and the march

by Lady Lee 72 Replies latest jw friends

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Purple, the case has been lain out very well. The reform needs to be made in a legal sense. If one is truly concerned about pediphile issues it is through washington that the reform must come. Marching on th WT and slamming the WT is only a process of venting. No one knows or cares about silent lambs enough for those gatherings to imapct a change in policy. Staying wrapped up here on this board one looses his senses in that one begans to think that silent lambs has made a greater impact than they have. Outside of this board- NO ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION> Date Line airs very week and covers many dif topics. It was a wonderful thing that such media was given to the plight of these vicitms.

I will not go on and on. Laws must be made and enforced. Laws that have teeth. Failure to report a pediphile by a church- the church loses tax free status.

Marching on the WT and public accusations? The media is beginning to look at silent lambs and bill bowen as nothing more than disgruntled ex jw who wants to blacken the eye of the religion that he freely walked away from 13 months prior to his having been df'd. He has publicly stated his desire to dismantle the WT. He has demonstrated conduct that takes away from the credibility of his cause. From his bragging of the loud mufflers and sqeeling tires to his disrupting a JW meeting to make his own announcment. You guys need to back away from this thing long enough to really see what outsiders are seeing. You guys are so caught up in the thing that you have no concept of what others are feeling about silent lambs efforts.

To effectivly persue the cause you have got to get real. There is so much anti jw sentiment among the group that the credibilty of this whole thing is lost. It is a darnded shame. And when the likes of dragon and I try to tactfully draw attention to a few things even bill bowen calls him stupid and a few other choice words.

Hey, I wish you all well. I would not want this movement as it stand today representing the memory of my victimized cousin- she would not either.

• Dia
    Dia

I don't know, Kelsey. I think you're being a little hard and unreasonable.

When I read that JR Brown said they had just sent a letter out to all the congregations about their right to call the police (however twisted that may have become in WT hands), I thought, Bill, you did it!

You have already MADE them make some changes. You've forced it and we all helped.

It's not the end, but it is a VERY CLEAR beginning.

• Dia
    Dia

Yikes. Been reading through here. I have only 2 things to say:

1) It is very unfortunate that there is this disension (sp?) at a very happy time. I hope people will work out their differences and pursue common ground, even if they take different routes to get there.

2) Fortunately, the end of the WTS does not depend on any one person. The internet will kill the WTS and there is no turning back from that.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Oh yeah, compare the WT's "be patient", which they've been using for over a century to cover failed predictions, to someone saying "be patient" about press coverage after two lousy days.

Every time some moron wants to pat himself on the back for being a free thinker, he picks out the most asinine things to quibble over.

Just because someone uses the same two words in the same combination does not mean they're using the WT's same tactics. The word 'the' is used very frequently by the Watchtower and Awake magazines. I suppose the next self-appointed Board Devil's Advocate with a Ben Franklin complex will say, "You used "the" in a sentence, just like the WT. How JW of you!"

Hmmm (who would be dangerous if he could figure out those eye-rolling emoticon thingies)

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

kelsey007 said,

If the march in NY did not gain any media attention the WT will not repsond to the march, No damage control needed. If laws are put in place with a penalty of losing tax free status for not complying changes will be made.

Based on the changes,(i.e. the "donation" campaign for the printed literature) that have been made by the WTBS in the face of potentailly losing their free tax status I could not agree more. Points well made Kelsey007.

Dismembered

• outnfree
    outnfree
    He [Bill Bowen] has publicly stated his desire to dismantle the WT.

I believe this statement to be untrue.

OH! And it's very unfortunate the Ch. 11 reporter did not have enough knowledge to ask the follow-up questions to JR Brown, i.e. "Why was such a letter necessary? What was the policy before February 2002?"

out

Edited by - outnfree on 30 September 2002 16:46:6

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Though I have great sympathy for the marchers and the cause, I'm afraid they suffer from the same delusions as the WTBS. They think they occupy a much more prominent place on life's stage than they actually do. As several have pointed out, the bulk of the population are not concerned about a miniscule offshoot of a small, out-of-the-mainstream group.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Though I have great sympathy for the marchers and the cause, I'm afraid they suffer from the same delusions as the WTBS. They think they occupy a much more prominent place on life's stage than they actually do. As several have pointed out, the bulk of the population are not concerned about a miniscule offshoot of a small, out-of-the-mainstream group.

Perhaps they do have a more prominent place than we expect, who are we to speak on behalf of "The bulk of the world"? It seems to me that more people in the world are interested in justifying and helping an abused child rather than hiding the paedophiles as the WT does. We have TV adverts on regular and billboards all over the UK right now that are calling attention to Child abuse, these are noticed by the "Bulk of the UK" perhaps they are all over the USA too?

Seems to me that the platform these marchers are on is hugely noticable, even if the religion is some far out wacky delusional religion it can still get the worlds attention when it commits a criminal offence(look at jonestown, the bulk of the world knows about it yet it was 900 people who suffered). JWs are knocking doors all over the world yet they are only 6 million. A little group can accomplish major things and that is not delusional, Lets be positive as well as sympathetic for them, as someone once said

"The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" Loa Tzu
  • Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Well dude, I travel all the time and I haven't seen one bill board, or one television add.

If you think this falls into the same news worthy category as the simultaneous mass suicide of 900 people then your are delusional.

Evidently the Media agrees because the coverage is just not there.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Ok.

I agree the reference to the 900 was an extreme case but I was talking about how "criminal offences" do get media attention even if committed by none mainstream religions. The marchers at NY on friday may have began a path that will eventually show that many suicides do take place due to the WTS policies, probably more than 900 have committed suicide in the WTS as a result of the 2 witness policy, or the rape policies, or the blood policies, perhaps the comparison is not so delusional, however if something can give the media a kick up the backside and get them searching the Watchtower, uncovering its crimes or browsing its memorial pages then they may see that Jonestown is still going on under the guise of the WTS, then we all might realise that it deserves to fall into the news worthy catigory of simultaneous mass suicide .

Brummie (who is working on his inability to conquer delusions :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit