CHUCK

• riz
    riz

i'm happy to help.

riz

• thinker
    thinker

Thought I'd add my own scientific observations from Genesis:

Ge1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Isn't the rotation of the earth responsible for dividing the light and dark?

Ge1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

ONE light, the sun; reflected off the moon. Not two great lights.

Ge4:14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

Who is this "every one"? Adam and Eve had Cain and Abel. Abel is dead, leaving only Adam, Eve and Cain.

Ge9:13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. Ge9:14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:

Rainbows are God's weapon?

Ge11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. Ge11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. Ge11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Ge11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Did God really fear Man would build a tower to Heaven?

thinker

• ianao
    ianao

BadAssociate:

You crack me up man.

Thinker:

Interesting. I've never thought of these before. Thanks for the insight into the scriptures.

-ianao
    (idiot class)

• AcapulcoGold
    AcapulcoGold

thinker, maybe that's the point?

why does the bible have to be provable?

it's almost seems as if by speaking of the bible and science in the one breath, the superiority of the bible and hence those who believe in it is indisputable.

I'm referring to those who cling to the belief that science must prove the bible like fundamentalists do.

but what if you forget for a moment that the bible has to be provable, scientifically accurate etc, etc, but see it as another book of part fact, part fiction, part human, part divine, , part legend, part myth part history, part folklore, part fairytale even and so on, no lesser or greater than any other comparable works on the planet,

that like the holybooks and myths and legends of all the other faiths & beliefs, merged out of a certain culture at a certain time.

what if you look at it as simply another holybook , that speaks about what all the other holybooks speak about - life?

(I'm being very general, I hope I'm not making to greater leaps of thought but I'm too lazy to fill in the gaps with explanantion )

for some reason the emphasis on the bible in our culture gets thrown way out of perspective

the christian way is the superior way because the bible is provable by science, or is scienfically accurate.

I respect the bible as I do a lot of other holy books but at the same time I'm not sure if the authors of any of them were expecting people to read their work and then go ahead and make life fit into a book.

a book can never be anything more than a guide or a blueprint, the practical individual experience of life will not conform to a book about the subject.

life doesn’t conform to a set of rules, it's totally spontaneous,

so if you look at the bible as just another holy book written in much the same style of language necessary for a holy book to be written in ie. "descriptive of a supernatural phenomona "
    and forget about it having to be proved by science but see it as simply another book of stories on the subject of more or less getting through this life

then the bible is no longer a problem, it's simply a book of stories, and I'm not saying this in such a way as to denigrate those stories, murky as some of them may be.

why does the bible have to be provable that's what I would like to know?. to tell you the truth I prefer the idea of looking at it as not having to be provable but full of mythical mystique.

according to logic or rationale or science most of the bible stories might not hold water, but whose to say the stories holding water was the point of the author/s?

whether those stories be from the bible or any other holybook for that matter?

this only becomes an issue if you've got something to prove like the superiority of the bible in my opinion and if you feel the compulsion to prove the superiority of the bible you start to enter that
    shadowy realm where persoanl agenda and scriptural dogma become extremely difficult to differentiate.

and all sorts of truly evil things start to happen.

AG

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

I believe that the reason the bible receives so much slack is because the fundamentalists who use it, do so as if it were the FINAL authority. They provoke contempt.

It is written so it is.

It is this type of dogmatic thinking which has been the cause of such a spiritual stalemate between most cultures throughout the centuries, not one of these has been willing to bow out and accept a simple difference, essentially, it is the same life force that they all worship.

It is interesting that these issues arise mainly within the 3 western religions, Jews, Muslims & Christians. They all share a similar history, god, and geographic regions. Ironically they also share the same book, Muslims aside.

They are so blinded by their own faith that they refuse to acknowledge anothers, for they are caught up in their own socio-political agendas. The fact is, that it comes down to politics, god and their holy book are the front and cover to their hostile actions.

This type of behavior flourished during Roman times when they were busy conquering the world, after a few religious 'adjustments' they decide that conversion was the only option to be had for those who the church decided to impose their belief on. All those 'pagans/heathens' whose lands were conquered, all done in the name of 'love', had a very quick decision to make.

Taken as the supposed word of god, one would think it would have some type of consistency and accuracy whether it be scientific or chronological,
    just a few thoughts to ponder. . .
    Why would an impartial god write so much about Hebrew history when there is evidence of other cultures preceding them?

Why would some of god's writings be considered apocrypha?Did the church become god's editor?

Why is it that the story of Job appears in the middle of the bible when chronologically it occurs sometime between Noah and Moses?

If she/he indeed has a message for us, I would like to believe it would come from more that one region on our planet, besides
    why is the book so forsakingly boring when the rest of creation isn't? Can god create the universe and not write a decent book?

The other holy books are much easier to get through. . .
    CHUCK

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

correcting double post

• AcapulcoGold
    AcapulcoGold

just got off the marijuana thread and now i think i'm seeing double - cool rave clouds - i dug it - i remember you talking about the political aspect before but i think i'm starting to see what you are getting at - which is something i hadn't thought about too much - it was interesting the way you put your idea across - well what i'm talking about is the same idea but on a much smaller level - much more of a microcosm - trying to sort the political shit out of a small group of people - maybe even as small as - two? - there's usually some kind of politics going down - personal agenda - in all it's variety of shades - getting past that - and not caring about that difference - the difference between yourself and another individual - i suppose that's where i am - my thoughts kind of are - amongst other seriously out there places - far too profane to mention on a christian bulletin board - - (this is my alfred hitchcock style of writing in case you hadn't noticed) ag.

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Its amazing what can be acomplished when individuals throw away the pretenses and see what is real,

If i keep rambling on like this i may be assasinated as the likes of Jesus, Lincoln, Kennedy, MLKing Jr., for truth and love have a funny way of affecting people.

But anyhow and at any expense, being that this is my thread feel free to post whatever you chose here, open minds are the cause of this forum, even though we have a few here that still wear their blinders, a different perspective may help them.

after all the only real sin is ignorance. . .

CHUCK

• AcapulcoGold
    AcapulcoGold

ps. your bible thoughts - it seems to me like everything is cool with the bible if you just dont blow it out of proportion - it's the story of a history of a particular people/culture - israel - isreals relationship or form of worship of IT'S "god" and then with a few added other events tacked on - like for example - the appearance & disappearance and re-appearence of an odd messiah here or there - it teaches you some lessons about life and how to have a relationship with isreals particular "god"/s - if you want to - just like the holybooks of lot of other faiths do - except you worship their particular "god" according to their particular description of how thats done - and so on - around the world - more or less

what if you allow for the possibility that maybe these books weren't written by god in the sense of what most people would expect a book written by god would be - or should be

what if a book written by god could be fallible? what if it was no more inspired than that of an inspired poet? -

what if a book written by a god didn't have to be believable? ag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit