How Well Do You Know The Bible?

by dark clouds 60 Replies latest jw friends

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

double

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

clouds eman - just went to the trouble of writing you guys responses that took me a long time then lost them due to a system f*** up

i'm really enjoying this thread - because it's out of jw rut

excuse me while i cry over my loss

BADASSOCIATE

(of the ALWAYS compose in word then cut and paste back into the post from now on class)

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

Bad associate

Is it really necessary to swear in nearly every post that you write!

UO

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Uncle onion with all respect,
    i believe brother badass showed admirable restraint, considering his unfortunate experience with his system, a prime example of self censorship, bleeping his obscene choice of the english adjective copulate.

hate it when that happens class, DOH
    CHUCK

• perfectpie
    perfectpie

Cloud, Que Pasta?

You postulated that perhaps Jewish history is myth. What about the writings of Josepheus being in harmony with the writings of the Bible?

How about other writings of history that are in congruity with the nations happenings?

Is the fact that the details of the places and times of events are solid.

Could not the power that is seen in the Sun, the force of nature etc. also be harnessed toward feats of greatness, I.E. walking through a sea, sun appearing to stand still, mighty warriors that make the gladiator look weak etc. ....

Is the fact that there are other books of antiquity and wisdom proof that the Bible is Myth?

Does any other book sink the eight ball with prophecy and scientific accuracy?

I have been seriously thinking along your line in the past months. I look forward to your thoughts. My questions are not posed as arguements but thoughts needing to be resolved in my own mind.

Without face, 3.14 chow

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Perfect Pie:

My postulate on jewish myth has to do with the stories found in the bible, not with the history of the jews. It is beyond evident that the the jews exist, and their history is clearly marked, in documents aside the bible.

As to what i refer as myth, are stories of animals that speak, a woman being converted to salt, a man whose strength comes from his hair, the sun standing still, a sea being parted long enough to move a nation through it and then having it collapse when the enemy goes through, water coming forth from a rock upon request, etc., In essence, the far fetched stories that are attributed to god because they are too ridiculous to accept as fact.

As far as the scientific accuracy, there is a thread posted here, that was once posted on h2o, that covers the inaccuracies of such a statement. In fact it even goes as far as using the bible to contradict these so called biblical/scientific claims. As soon as i find it again i will post a reference to the author and title, and post it here for the information of anyone intersted.

As to the prophecies, it is very easy to write about something that occured years after the fact, and then say it had been "prophecized" earlier when anyone who can verify or oppose such is no longer around as a witness. You can claim that something occured and then rewrite it to fit your claim and say it is your "evidence" to such.

Too much weight is given to the bible as the main holy book, here in the western hemisphere. Many others exist and the only reason i feel we give it weight is because of convenience and because of conditioning. If we are to dismiss the others then why not dismiss the bible too, and if we are to accept the bible then we should accept the others too, keeping them all on the same level, without saying one is greater, holier, or even more inspired than another.

It seems to me, that a fair god would want all his children to have the same opportunity, without discriminating, among the many nations and cultures of the world.

CHUCK

PS. Simon i started this thread before you reorganized the site anything related i will post appropriately next time, thanks.

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

bringing this one up to the top for the benefit of
    Flower Petal

she asked a question on another thread that relates to this. . .

CHUCK

Joel Bear i side with your view on religion, it definitely is political. . .

• thinker
    thinker

Hi Darkclouds,
    Thanks for bringing this to the "top" again. I have tried to read the bible with an open mind to try and see why some would think it's the literal "word of God" and 100% factual. But, I can't get past the first chapter without realizing that 1) the story is incomplete and 2) it's not scientificlly accurate.
    I prefer to make up my own mind based on literally everything I've learned.

thinker

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

THIS IS A REQUEST:

Someone pasted a thread they had posted on H2O here,

The thread dealt with the scientific inaccuracies of the bible,

Many verses were quoted and used to show how in fact the bible discredits itself and how it is nowhere near scientifically accurate

If anyone knows which thread i speak of, or if the author would be as cool as to link it, or make a reference here, please do so,

I cannot remember the title, so search is not helping me, and after searching through numerous pages it is becoming tedious, so help please, if you know to which thread i refer,

The info was great and it would be great to resurface it. . .

CHUCK

• riz
    riz

Hi Chuck,

I believe this is what you are looking for.
    try http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=3719&site=3

I hope this link works

riz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit