How Well Do You Know The Bible?

by dark clouds 60 Replies latest jw friends

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

too many duplicates sorry

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

JW.com CLASSIC QUOTES

"i guess that would make nostradamus a worthy candidate for the GB if he were still alive."

by dark clouds

BADASSCOIATE

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I-ching
    u have some valid points...we all fall into the trap of being content with the comfortable.

Dark Clouds
    May be by pulling ideas off these enlightened men, all we are doing is forming our own opinion that we are comfortable with...instead of searching for the truth.

Yours Paul

• Moridin
    Moridin

I agree 100% dark clouds. Great post. Uncle Onion...there are some great books out there that talk about whether or not Jesus was a real person and if he was whether or not his teachings and so called "miracles" really came about. I really suggest reading "The Jesus Mysteries".

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

On that note Dig:

if we accept jesus only, with no questions asked, are we being comfortable or have we accepted truth?

see let me reiterate i believe that there is truth in all of their teachings, i am not picking and chosing from these, i am taking their teachings solely, not the church's, and am attempting to blend them together. (reread my post with the unified theory)

as in a fraction conversion, i am looking for the greatest common factor, in this case factors, amongst the options available.

Of the religion cocktailing class

CHUCK

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

double

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

in the spirit of rebelliously long posts

my theory is that everyone is essentially religous/spiritual - that there is this other dimension within

themselves - an infinite dimension - divinity

so back to the subject:

I think whats going on is confusion between the message and the messenger

what I mean by this is divinity is the message and the prophet - regardless of what faith you want to talk about - is the messenger

maybe it's just that the divinity (message) within these prophets (messengers) was much more transparent than with the average person -

people are attracted

(there seems to be a connection between charisma & divinity)

and they think to gain the divinity (message)

they have to be the prophet (messenger) HIM/HER WHATEVER - SELF

rather than:

be the prophet (messenger) -

by being the divinity (message) within THEMSELVES

they "see" the divinity (message)

as being one and the same as the prophet (messenger)

but it's impossible to be someone else other than yourself

by now your probably thinking

"don't type and smoke"

however ...

i think that when you see the mania that surrounded such figures as elvis marilyn monroe princess diana etc

you're looking at a comparable type of phenomonon

an enormous attractive sense of charisma/divinity emanating from those individuals

everyone wants a piece of it

everyone wants to be it

i think jesus must have had the same thing going on

that's the comparison i'm trying to make here

i dont think jesus (messenger) was saying experience me

i thought he was saying experience my divinity (message)

that is an individual experiencing his/her own divinity

so followers think they have to be the leader

literally almost

to make matters worse it's some kind of collective fantasy Cecil B De Mille version jesus

(to make matters even worse it's a wtbts version jesus)

so (generalizing profusely) the followers - (all the christians) - are trying to be the leader - (jesus) - one person

THIS ONE (FANTASY) STEREOTYPE

because how can anyone be jesus except jesus?!

anyone imagining themselves to be jesus other than jesus

is doing just that

imagining something that they aren't

CUT TO:

SCENE - FROM - THE LIFE OF BRIAN

(no not the INT. COLISEUM - AD 33 - CHILDRENS MATINEE - scene)

this one -

CUT TO:

Brian naked in a first floor window overlooking a Jerusalem back alley circa ad33 - filled with his followers - all of whom hold aloft poles with a sandle tied to the end.

BRIAN

(yelling to the crowd of followers below)

YOU'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS

CROWD

(in unison)

WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!!!

you can't be somebody else but if you pay attention to your own divinity you may start to get somewhere

thats the one message (divinity) i think all the different messengers (prophets) were saying

BADASS

• perfectpie
    perfectpie

Dear Obscure Nebulas, Dark Clouds

You open mind and effort to come to new conclusions is a good thing. Here are some basic answers to some of your questions, though not intended to contradict.

First, it was Peter who Jesus said he would build the Church upon.
    Why Jesus picked Paul to write so much of the scriptures was because of his zeal and love for what was great. God sees what people are like "not an accepter of faces, lit. or Not partial. He saw great potential with Paul and so used him.

Finally you have to keep in mind not all people are like Americans, that is many people speak more than one language. Greek was the common language of the time so that would be best for them to understand this message. As for the Old Testament, it was the foundation for the New Testament. It proved the identity of the Christ and was the accepted scriptures for the time. Blah blah keep on chow

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

hey where'd you go?

BADASS

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Moridin: cool, let me get the authors name to the book you refered to, and in exchange check this one out it blew my mind
    The Mystical Life of Jesus by H. Spencer Lewis, F.R.C., Ph.D.

I Ching: anytime you want to smoke. . .

PerfectPie: i love a great discussion and i feel we are up for one. . . First of all, thank you for that correction between Peter and John,

I will agree that Jesus picked Paul when he was on his way to Damascus because Paul says so in his book of Acts, so we can accept this as fact (makes perfect sense no?). . .this story like many others i consider part of the christian myth a use of the church to enhance the myth of who Jesus was in order to enhance his divinity and give the church a stronger foundation in which to claim its right.

I can look at this several ways, Paul could purely be a concoction of the church, all those so called writings of his, were created by the church founders of the time to have validation for all the rules to come. Paul could have been factual and indeed written, but he was a fanatic, he swung from one end of the pendelum to the next, not quite finding his center. So, if i do accept this i would not only have to question Jesus' judgement, but wonder why the other remaining 7 loyal apostles had nothing to contribute as far as writing. Aside from the fact that nowhere is Paul told to write, the only order he is given is to wait at the city(Acts 9:6). Compare Paul for a second to a newly babtized individual who claims to be annointed.

Second point you mentioned, was that everyone spoke more than one language, ok, sure its Europe ill concede, but what i wont agree with, unless you can back it, is that jesus needed the old testament as proof of who he was, werent his 3 years of preaching and miracles enough to state the fact? besides when he died didnt the curtain at the temple rip thus nullifying the old laws? So why then the need to rehash them into the new faith?

Look the jews denied him and the catholics claimed him their own and took possession of the bible by interpreting it, rewriting it, and banning it, most of the writings we have on him are over 70 years old, i find that fact highly questionable, and also the fact that he lived in jerusalem and his beliefs were carried elsewhere, though justified by, again christian persecution, adds to the power of myth. . .

Taking the man and not the myth

aka Shady Nimbus
    CHUCK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit