GOING TO GIVE MY OWN BLOOD

by Mary 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I'm going to the blood bank today to donate my own blood for my upcoming surgery. What's the Society's viewpoint on storing your own blood? I don't see anything in the bible that would hint there's anything wrong with re-using your own blood.......

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Hi Mary,

Hope things go well for you.

My best recollection is storing your own blood for future use is not allowed by the Society. I can't remember all the nifty medical terms, but the machine used to do heart bypass surgery is ok because it is viewed as an extention of the circulatory system, but stored blood has left the system and a no-no. I think this was reviewed in the Awake! magazine (the blue one with a man in scrubs), but I can't think of the date either. Sigh. Guess that wasn't a whole lotta help, but the AJWRB site should have more info.

Best wishes,

Michelle

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You should be OK so long as you don't eat it.

• Matty
    Matty

Yes, I remember reading that the blood that leaves your body is supposed to be "poured onto the ground" ceremoniously!

It's difficulty to keep pace with the society's current view as it seems to change by the day. Fact: I have been criticised in the past for putting my hand in my mouth when I've had a cut finger! I guess I was supposed to drape it downward and let it drip on the floor in order to be a good witness.

All the best (((Mary))), we're all thinking of you!

• outnfree
    outnfree

Mary,

Good luck with your surgery.

Storing one's own blood is a no-no. But who cares? Take the precaution and rest easier knowing your body won't be fighting foreign tissue post-op.

out

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I had donated about 15 pints in my life time before I contacted Hepititis B. I'm no longer able to give because of that. GIVE BLOOD!

• stichione
    stichione

I would love to donate blood. But since I'm an inactive JW in good standing, I would have to do it secretly out of fear of being DF'd. Isn't that a shame?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Hey Mary" in the blood is life"Go for it.A quick recovery in your surgery....

Who cares what the WTower says- The above quote is from scripture .You want to have life??? Use the blood that gives it -in more ways than one-Yours & HIS Jesus. ( sorry folks-I know alot dont believe this but I am free to say what I think in THIS ----congregation AND I AM A WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!)

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Mary, I think that is smart of you to donate your own blood before surgery.

The WTBTS is against receiving your own blood back into your body but they now allow Hemapur, which is cow's blood. The company has extracted the hemoglobin from the red blood cells (97% of red blood cell is hemoglobin) and that product is used on people who are low of red blood cells.

Now think about that, wouldn't you rather have your own blood back in your body than cow's blood?

just my 2 cents.

j2bf

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Mary,

I agree with your decision. I think that it has to be done well in advance, though. Have you checked with your doc? I'm sorry to hear that you are sick and I hope that all goes well. Joy is correct about hemopure. I read an newspaper article about a man who was a jw and the hospital liason comn. allowed this cow blood. Unbelievable, huh. Best wishes. dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit