Superman's quote 'bout JW's

by orphanannie 51 Replies latest jw friends

• orphanannie
    orphanannie

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=579&e=1&cid=638&u=/nm/20020917/en_nm/health_superman_dc

"There are religious groups -- the Jehovah's Witness, I believe -- who think it's a sin to have a blood transfusion. Well, what if the president for some reason decided to listen to them, instead of to the Catholics, which is the group he really listens to in making his decisions about embryonic stem cell research?" Reeve was quoted as saying.

• Jools j
    Jools j

i just read this in the gurdian and thought i'd scoot over to see what was happening here.
    same interview, i expect:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/genes/article/0,2763,793585,00.html
    have the JWs any stance on stem-cell research?

• Scully
    Scully

Actually, JWs LOVE stem cells.

Because stem cells are not "real" red blood cells, but their precursors, stem cell transplantations are permitted for the treatment of anemia due to chemotherapy. This was actually the treatment that WTS lawyers were pushing Bethany Hughes to fight for her right to have, instead of conventional blood transfusions. It's not as effective, though, because the stem cells must go through the usual maturation process and become red blood cells in order to deliver oxygen to the body.

Umbilical cord blood, placentae and aborted fetuses are rich sources of stem cells. There are less chances of adverse reactions from stem cells than mature blood or red blood cells because a fetus has almost no exposure to antigens that would cause the formation of antibodies in the stem cells.

What is surprising is that JWs have to be SO careful about what kinds of meat by-products are in their hotdogs or bologna, to make sure there is NO BLOOD in them. But they'd take stem cells from whatever source they can get them, even though therapeutic abortion goes against their belief system.

Can we say "HYPOCRITES"??

Love, Scully

• Mum
    Mum

Welcome to the forum, orphanannie. Let us hear from you often.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

His ire directed at Catholics is misplaced, Bush came to this decesion based on his personal belief that Abortion is Murder.

• ugg
    ugg

hi,,,and welcome orphanannie

• LDH
    LDH

I'm sure if old Georgie-Porgie was sitting in the wheelchair next to Christopher Reeves' that his view on abortion, stem cell research and cloning would change POST-HASTE.

Lisa

• Xander
    Xander

based on his personal belief that Abortion is Murder

The question, of course, is how he came to have that 'personal belief'.

In any case, I take Reeve's quote as a good example of what is wrong with the leadership in this country. It caters to religion. Any religion. It should not.

Right now, it is leaning religious right, and Bush *is* taking the advice of said group. What WOULD happen if the JWs got into that 'inner circle'?

I'm sure we'd all agree that, however unlikely, that would be a disaster. What about other fundy groups? Is it okay to allow groups with a blatant racist agenda? No, of course not. Who gets to pick and choose which religious beliefs are 'okay' to force on an entire nation?

Why take ANY steps towards that point?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Xander,

I agree. I'm sure the Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons in this country were dancing on the ceiling when Bush was (finally) declared the victor. (Funny how that whole debacle seems like such a distant memory now)

Conservative religious types go on and on about the liberal media, liberal universities, blah blah, how it's a big totalitarian big-brother conspiracy.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - if and when totalitarianism pays the U.S. a visit, it will come from the (largely religious) RIGHT, not the left.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

So, let me get this straight, some of you are saying that it is RELIGION that is causing us to think that an UNBORN HUMAN LIFE should not be terminated?

You shouldn't need religion to know that ending a HUMAN LIFE is wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit