And so, They must Beg (WT Nov.1,02)

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    On this basis, could they start keeping the sabbath observance too?

Not a huge leap there, Ozzie. Although in that case there's not a clear cut motive, as there would be if they chose to go down the tithing path. Still, the SDAs have been running with the Sabbath thing successfully from since before Russell's time, so they could always send their industrial spies over there if they get stuck for ideas re implementation.

Syn: LOL

Actually, you've reminded me of something which used to happen at my old church. Being a charismatic church, people would raise their hands in worship and often wave their hands. Sometimes a pastor leading the worship would suggest the people give a "wave offering". For those of us who were a little Biblically literate, this was vastly amusing - we kept threatening to bring along bits of offal to wave around for the wave offering.

Edited by - Stephanus on 18 September 2002 17:16:33

• SYN
    SYN

God, Stephanus, I can just picture those people waving around bits of cows right now LOL!

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

To JustLittleOldMe: This is a regular, annual article - we call it the Christmas charity drive. WT has posted an article every November, can't remember for how many years. We looked a while ago and I've forgotten how many years, but it has been quite some time.

Mrs R

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

One more Biblically literate pastor actually acknowledged that the Old Testament wave offering had involved animal guts, but he argued that as Jesus' sacrifice had done away with the need for animal sacirifice, and the need to deal with the leftovers, so a wave offering could now be done without the visual aids. However, he never did come up with a New Testament mention of a wave offering. So it was just more unbiblical pentecostal crap, IMO.

• abbagail
    abbagail

LOL @ Mrs Rocky re: Annual Christmas Charity Drive!

Stephanus wrote about the scriptural reasons for not tithing in the Christian era. As dubs or xdubs, we all know that's true, but I gotta tell ya, I watch alot of preachers and shows on the "Religion TV Channel" and almost ALL of those guys (and women preachers, too) talk about tithing ALL the time, and they are supposedly all "Christian." Another thing I've noticed is alot of these TV-preachers are using Jehovah's name more and more. It always shocks me when I hear them use it in their sermons.

Grits

• blondie
    blondie

There is an article in the WT near the end of every year. It times well with making that large donation in time to put it on as a tax deduction for 2002 to the IRS (or equivalent in other areas). In the US, written confirmation is required for any one time donation over $250. There is even a brochure provided by the WTS. (biblexaminer had a long-running thread about that some time ago)

So if you want to get around the tax laws, give your money to the WTS (a non-profit organization) to hold. I'm not a legal expert but the brochure shows how both you and the WTS can benefit, and legally give the shaft to the US government.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit