And so, They must Beg (WT Nov.1,02)

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Mary,

So seeing as they're not being "forced" to pay for magazines any more (all done on the honour system), there are alot of Dubs that don't give one red cent towards the cost of the mags.

LOL! When the "free" arrangement came into affect, I ordered a buttload of bound volumns. My contribution? What contribution? LOL! I figured the Society could handle it, or maybe some rich bro would toss a c note in the contribution box. Three years ago, I boxed all my WT crap up, and shipped it to Freeminds.org, free of charge, of course. I received free, I gave free. LOL!

TR

• Larry
    Larry

Holy Cow! Is that really the title for the Nov. 'Tower - "Why Should I Apologize?"

Good point - "Don't forget: most Witnesses are notoriously CHEAP; they're always trying to get freebies from other brothers with businesses, and if you ever go to a brother who's an auto mechanic, they'll tell you that the worst ones for paying their bills are their fellow "brothers and sisters". I guess that's why they also have talks about tipping.

So true - "I think the real issue is that Congregations all over the world are having problems paying the bills." I remember being in a hall and were always late paying the mortgage (to the BORG) and the interest rates skyrocketed every time we were late - some ridiculous penalty fee also. It's a wonder they still have the building. Now that I think about it, the folks who left the BORG were the ones that contributed the most.

Peace - LL

• Larry
    Larry

TR said:

Three years ago, I boxed all my WT crap up, and shipped it to Freeminds.org, free of charge, of course. I received free, I gave free.

ROTFLAMO !!!

Peace - LL

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Metatron: Good points. I recall when first studying, I read the "Divine Purpose" book where CT Russell is quoted as saying they would never ask for or beg for funds ... for they would always depend on Jehovah, and if he failed to provide, they would understand that he was done using them, or the work was finished, or some such thing ... but now they beg ... well ... I guess I will just have to get my checkbook out - not - and ponder the Worldwide Kingdom work.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Maybe CT Russell was right... Jehovah has "done using them".

Cheers, Ozzie

• twain30
    twain30

I remember hearing about how back in the 1920's the brothers needed coal to heat Bethel and there wasn't enough money so they simply prayed and left the matter in Jehovah's hands and low and behold there was more than enough. Also remembered is how at assemblies brothers would proudly bellow about the fact that never have we resorted to begging for money like the churches, never have collection plates been passed, no one is ever put on the spot and made to feel forced to contribute. Times have changed. Someone on this board said that the friends speak with their pocketbooks. That's true and its showing that all of the coercion, arm twisting, as well as begging isn't working.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

"I lived on Fudgesicles that convention and lost 3 pounds."

Must be a new diet!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am suprised that from the beginning the Society didn't require tithing 10%. There are some Christian churches that teach that, though they do not moniter it like the Mormon's do. The Society has always been able to change their viewpoints, I wonder if they will on this issue too.

• twain30
    twain30

The scriptures dealing with the Israelites giving a tenth have been referred to quite a bit lately by the WBTS. Although this probably won't be made into a hard fast rule these scriptures dealing with tithing have definitely been used to apply more pressure to contribute. What's interesting is that when Moses needed money for the Tabernacle and when Solomon needed contributions for the Temple they never had to resort to such disturbing tactics-there was more than enough given.

• metatron
    metatron

The voluntary donation arrangement turned into a disaster at assemblies in major
    cities. At places like Vet's in Philadelphia, the food got grabbed up in a flash
    because it was perceived as free. Contributions didn't come in so food at assemblies
    vanished quickly.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit